Civ 4 BTS Who is the best Leader to play?

I agree that HC is a great leader to start with whilst you are developing your game but yes, be warned, it is very easy to get too used to such a strong leader. The same applies for Willem - I got waaay to used to Fin/Cre for a while

Personally, Napoleon is one of my favourites, as is Zara Yaqob (Ethiopia) and Hammurabi (Babylon) - Louis is also a very undermentioned strong leader. But again, it's very dependent on map and starting location and various other variables - which is why Civ4 is such a great game. I have my faves but generally I go random civ and random leader (unrestricted)

Now if they made a leader who was Cre/Chm, that would be heaven. For me of course :D

I agree that HC is a great leader to start with whilst you are developing your game but yes, be warned, it is very easy to get too used to such a strong leader. The same applies for Willem - I got waaay to used to Fin/Cre for a while

TBH I've personally hardly ever played HC or Darius as I much prefer other leaders - I always played Ramesses, Louis or Qin Shi (for Pavilions not PRO) for IND leaders, and either Willem or Hannibal for FIN leaders.

Hannibal on Archipelagos with GLH allowed me to play and win Immortal difficulty, but as you say I got too used to it (I always chopped Stonehenge for the free :culture: and :) from CHA, that combined with GLH = up to 16 coastal cities settled within the BCs while still being able to run 20-40% science).

Currently I'm learning to play with the (non FIN) CRE leaders - Sury, Gilgamesh, Pericles, Cathy and Zara Yaqob on Emperor difficulty, and then I'll try them on Immortal.

All of them are very good, but some have drawbacks:

Sury - rubbish UU
Gilgamesh - Protective
Zara - Stele is complete rubbish, especially when compared to either Pavilions or Odeons.

I've never played HC. I am too used to Chm. Cyrus, Hannibal, Lincoln are my three most frequently played leaders.

Now if they made a leader who was Cre/Chm, that would be heaven. For me of course :D

I assume the reason this doesnt exist is because it would be redundant have creative and having to build monuments. The borders would probably pop before the monument was even built.

Hannibal of the English can be quite interesting indeed. :coffee: Not top-tier but certainly useful. :)

Financial with Stock Exchange means you can get away easier in tech and charismatic redcoats can stomp on everyone till Assembly Line. That means the you've got the means to turn huge while not suffering much in terms of economy.

I assume the reason this doesnt exist is because it would be redundant have creative and having to build monuments. The borders would probably pop before the monument was even built.

That's true, but I doubt that's the reason - even if there was a Cre/Chm leader, I'd still build the monument for the happiness. What this would do in effect is give you the opportunity/choice to delay building the monument due to the instant culture given by Cre, but still be able to up 1 happy if/when you need to at any given point (prior to monuments becoming obsolete.themselves of course). Again, you are correct in saying that it does obsolete the +1 culture given by the monument :)

Ever tried playing as Brennus? Spi/Chm is a pretty nice combo :)

Used to like Spi.

Spi/Phi meant I was playing Saladin quite frequently before I got BTS. I was also playing Isabella with Spi/Exp.

I sort of went off it when I realised that no anarchy doesn't really mean much when a GA means no anarchy either.

Used to like Spi.

Spi/Phi meant I was playing Saladin quite frequently before I got BTS. I was also playing Isabella with Spi/Exp.

I sort of went off it when I realised that no anarchy doesn't really mean much when a GA means no anarchy either.

True, that does take a slight edge off the 'no anarchy' element - especially if you have a monster GP farm and can pump out GA's like no tomorrow.

One thing I love about Spi is being able to switch to 'war mode' pretty much as soon as someone declares on me (I play Emperor SP, Immortal if I'm playing with a friend) which is more often than not at the higher levels. Half price temples also help to rack up the happiness, especially when I want to switch from HR and find myself with a happiness 'deficit' :)

True, that does take a slight edge off the 'no anarchy' element - especially if you have a monster GP farm and can pump out GA's like no tomorrow.

One thing I love about Spi is being able to switch to 'war mode' pretty much as soon as someone declares on me (I play Emperor SP, Immortal if I'm playing with a friend) which is more often than not at the higher levels. Half price temples also help to rack up the happiness, especially when I want to switch from HR and find myself with a happiness 'deficit' :)

I prefer cheaper settlers for faster early expansion, more commerce to buy the temples or more great people to fuel my golden ages ;)

I prefer cheaper settlers for faster early expansion, more commerce to buy the temples or more great people to fuel my golden ages ;)

Again, very true. If you're Imp and start with loads of forests you're laughing :)

The only 1 thing I would say is that, unless you have the Pyramids, it's a long wait before you can buy temples with US. I find that, a lot of the time, I have happiness issues with captured cities that I can only instantly keep under control with HR - whacking in half price temples helps me sort this problem out very quickly, which means I can switch to US and buy everything else asap :)

Just out of interest, what difficulty/speed etc do you usually play?

Hannibal of the English can be quite interesting indeed. :coffee: Not top-tier but certainly useful. :)

Financial with Stock Exchange means you can get away easier in tech and charismatic redcoats can stomp on everyone till Assembly Line. That means the you've got the means to turn huge while not suffering much in terms of economy.

Good shout - ever tried Boudica of England? Now THOSE redcoats are frightening :D

Again, very true. If you're Imp and start with loads of forests you're laughing :)

The only 1 thing I would say is that, unless you have the Pyramids, it's a long wait before you can buy temples with US. I find that, a lot of the time, I have happiness issues with captured cities that I can only instantly keep under control with HR - whacking in half price temples helps me sort this problem out very quickly, which means I can switch to US and buy everything else asap :)

Just out of interest, what difficulty/speed etc do you usually play?

Deity/Marathon.

Financial (which I was alluding to) allows me to do everything faster, not just buy temples. That far outweighs anything that half-price temples can give me.

Deity/Marathon.

Financial (which I was alluding to) allows me to do everything faster, not just buy temples. That far outweighs anything that half-price temples can give me.

Cool :)

Any tips for someone looking to move from Emperor to Immortal?

Thread Necro!

If you like to build big cities/empires/work the land, Imperialistic/Expansive/Creative/Organized.

I find the exact opposite to be true. Creative gives more initial freedom to settle strategic resources which can help a rush and the ability to run scientist quicker to fuel research and use some fun bulbing strategies. Imp helps you get settlers out quicker and start a rush even faster and once in war get you 1st GG fast for Med promotion which helps keep your war going. Exp lets you chop freely and start everything early, hence quicker war. Org lets you conquer more before pausing to fix finances.

Thing is with the industrial trait that if you lack stone and marble it's loses most of it's power.
If I play an industrial leader i restart if i don't find one of these resources nearby.

I like to play different leaders, i've tried most of them. Some of them i don't like [because of the nation they represent, i'm not going to say which one ].

But i'd like to know what you guys think are overall the worst leaders?
For me i'd have to say the chinese guys. I don't like protective, and the industrial one is like i said not very versatile.
Plus the UU and UB really seem to suck.

Any Industrious leader that has at least 6 forest in their BFC can simply get food>bw>then beeline for Writing and start running 2 scientist as your on your way to math then Chop out the Mids (pre-chop till math) in the 1400-1150BC range. Lets you launch a cat/whatever war in the 900-700BC range from 4 cities which usually translates into 10+ cities before you need to stabilize your economy, which of course the Mids lets you do fast! And that's just one little way Industrious is nice. There are too many more to list ;)

On a side note I find the Cho's to be one of the best UU in the game.

Chinese got best UU and UB in single player games - with early Cho Ko Nu spam u only need few catapults only for bombarding because Cho Ko Nu got corratel damage

Protective is probably worst trait but not for chinese since their UU is Cho Ko Nu. And pavillions is also one of best UBs in game.

Some civs have got UB some got good UU but Chinese got both amazing UU and great UB, and protective trait doesnt suck with Chinese because of their UU.

___

Boudica traits in my opninon is too overpowered in start of game - agressive + -25% neeed for unit upgrades

And Gallic Warrior+ DUN combined with Boudica is not that bad at all

Top Bottom