Civ 4 complete or Civ 5

cav57

Chieftain
Hi all this is my first post here, although i first discovered the site when civ 3 was beating the crap out of me. :)

I really don't know whether I should buy the complete edition of civ 4 or fork over the money for 5. i dont have civ 4 anymore, as I lost one of the disks, and i really miss it. so:

should i buy the complete civ 4 with all the expansions? i've only ever played the "vanilla?" version of the game so is it worth it to get the expansions?

or should i just get civ 5? i cant seem to find an honest review, some say its the best game on the face of the earth while others claim it is the spawn of satan, theres no middle ground lol.

also i have a sony vaio laptop that i got around Christmas 2010 with only the original graphics stuff (i'm not a computer/video game guy) it was like $650 so i probably can't run civ 5 right?

any help would be appreciated

Welcome to the Civilization Fanatics Forums, cav57.

I would go with Civilization IV: The Complete Edition. You can get it pretty cheap now (GamersGate sells it for $24.95) and you shouldn't have any problem getting it to play on your laptop.

You're probably better off getting Civ4 Complete Edition for now. Civ5 is still undergoing big changes (through patching) and it's bound to get a fair bit cheaper anyway.

I'm making the assumption you were looking at a Steam special... Civ4 CE on sale for $7.50 at the moment.

I played civ3 a lot, and when civ4 came along I played that even more. There are lots of excellent mods for civ4 (most require the BtS expansion, which you'll be getting), if you're in to that sort of thing.

Civ4's better IMO. 1upt didn't work out too well. There are numerous threads which describe what went wrong with the game far better than I could.

Also, as Piece said, it's on sale for $7.50 on Steam.

What time is it... hurry up for Complete at 7.50$ (gosh i got that DVD for 49$ too barely two years ago!), Steam weekends are much faster than you may know.
That should give plenty enough gameplay meat to chew on until CiV gets to the predictable level we mostly all hope it reaches through regular Patches & Fixes; 6 to 8 months worth maybe less.
Firaxis needs the "investment".

Both games are great!

Civ 5 is great for warmongers
Civ 4 is better for empire builders..

Once Civ 5 is fully patched it will be a much better game ...give it some time.

I would go with V. it really is fun. for a while.

I'll absolutely recommend Civ IV Complete.

Even the graphics are still fresh, and Civ V isn't as good looking as I hoped it to be.

As I've said before Civ Complete is the greatest game ever, computer, console, arcade, and board games included...

Civ V is in my top ten computer games of all time in terms of hours played, but there is no comparisson.

There's a much higher chance you'll get more enjoyment out of Civ 4 BTS.

Compared to base Civ 4: BTS has much smarter AI than Vanilla; (although those that were playing with the "Better AI" mod in Vanilla/Warlords is close.)

Civ 5 is a completely different animal than Civ 4; it's like trying to compare Chess & Checkers.

Overall, civ 4/ civ 4 BTS choices are which choice benefits my empire the most.
Many decision points in Civ 5 seem to be, which choice hurts my empire the least.

Hi all this is my first post here, although i first discovered the site when civ 3 was beating the crap out of me. :)

I really don't know whether I should buy the complete edition of civ 4 or fork over the money for 5. i dont have civ 4 anymore, as I lost one of the disks, and i really miss it. so:

should i buy the complete civ 4 with all the expansions? i've only ever played the "vanilla?" version of the game so is it worth it to get the expansions?

or should i just get civ 5? i cant seem to find an honest review, some say its the best game on the face of the earth while others claim it is the spawn of satan, theres no middle ground lol.

also i have a sony vaio laptop that i got around Christmas 2010 with only the original graphics stuff (i'm not a computer/video game guy) it was like $650 so i probably can't run civ 5 right?

any help would be appreciated

As I've said before Civ Complete is the greatest game ever, computer, console, arcade, and board games included...
Nope, X-Com:UFO Defense *IS*.
Gollop's LSN was just an accidental hurdle above the 2K corporate cloud trying to shove us all an FPS (once again) on XBox tagged XCom with blobs of dark matter as enemies in the 50's.

I didn't have very high expectations of civ5 before it was released. I bought it nevertheless, believing mods would fix it quickly if it was flawed. Afterall, modability was supposed to be high. That was not hard to believe after seeing all the awesome mods in Civilization 4 (FFH2, RoM etc).

I was not prepared for the amount of disappointment I got. No amount of modding will ever fix the core issues of this game. This is just a wargame and full of artificial rules designed for multiplayers. Conquer capitals you win or buy city states and you win. I want my old civilization where I can role play whatever way I wan't and actually be able to befriend some AI if I want to. Its no use to try actually play diplomatically, since its not realistically possible.

I already have 2 copies of civ4. I wish had bought third copy instead of this. Get Civilization4 and make use of those awesome mods. Your time is so much more well spent with them.

I'll absolutely recommend Civ IV Complete.

Even the graphics are still fresh, and Civ V isn't as good looking as I hoped it to be.

Try getting a dx11 card. Game is leaps and bounds better looking than civ 4.

Is it the games fault you choose not to take advantage of the full graphic possibilities? As for the OPs question, I'd go with civ 5. Stacks of doom and religion absolutely kill civ 4.

Try getting a dx11 card. Game is leaps and bounds better looking than civ 4.

Is it the games fault you choose not to take advantage of the full graphic possibilities? As for the OPs question, I'd go with civ 5. Stacks of doom and religion absolutely kill civ 4.

I agree with this.

But with as cheap as the games are on Steam right now, there's no reason not to get both. They're two different games played with different mindsets. OP might as well play the game he's better suited for.

CIV 4 Complete all the way!!! You won't be disappointed. =) BEST. GAME. EVER.

Top Bottom