1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ 4: Game of the year

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Tranquility, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Tranquility

Tranquility Grand unifier

Many of you probably don't care, but Civ 4 just won Game of the year by IGN and Game Spy. Just thought i'd let you know.

2. Nilrim

Nilrim Chieftain

Don't get me wrong Civ 4 is an alright game, I have played many hours and had some fun, but game of the year??? Goes to show you that it has not been a very good year for computer games.

3. Kolyana

Kolyana Czarina

Welcome to yesterday.

Civ 4 Game of the Year Winner!
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=148812

4. Jonathan

Jonathan Chieftain

My reaction too. I'm bewildered by the universally wonderful ratings the game has got from reviewers. Civ 4 does have some useful improvements compared with earlier versions, but combat is still a drag and attaining any of the victory conditions is a chore. When I say "a chore", I don't mean that it's difficult (that depends on the difficulty level); I mean that it's tedious and not fun.

The only part of Civ that I've ever really enjoyed (in any version from 1 to 4) is the early stage of exploration and city-building. Once national borders have stabilized, all you can do is to attack one city after another (slow, repetitive, boring) or sit there at peace building one city improvement after another (static, repetitive, boring).

I haven't given up playing it yet, but I'm looking for some way to make it more enjoyable. Maybe if I cut the game in in half and play only the first half?

5. Efexeye

Efexeye Silly Donkey

How about playing some multiplayer? ANY game where you just play against the computer is eventually going to get old...

6. SewerStarFish

SewerStarFish Chieftain

I'm a little nonplussed by [civ4] . I want to like it because I just loved[civ3] and Civ2 but there is some underlying quality that is leaving me unenthused.
    Still it's the game I play the most so I guess GotY is appropriate.

7. Swein Forkbeard

Swein Forkbeard Nintendo Fan

I thought IGN's GotY 2005 was God of War.

8. bentley004

bentley004 Chieftain

did you really have to dig a two and a half year old thread to say that :p

9. Swein Forkbeard

Swein Forkbeard Nintendo Fan

I searched "2005 Game of the Year" and got here.

10. UnlockPotential

UnlockPotential Chieftain

Still no reason to bump it?