Civ 4 Games of the Month and Steam

curtnoel

Chieftain
Hello. I have the steam version of BTS(3.19) and I just downloaded the BUFFY mod (latest version). SO I will be able to play the game of the month? yes/no/maybe?

Also: I want to play ALL the games of the month for civ 4 ( I really like the game) and am wondering if its possible to do that relatively easily with my steam version. I have Civ 4, warlords and BTS all through steam.

:lol: And I am lazy so I am wondering if anyone out there does this very thing and can tell me the easy way to do this haha.:lol:

I am new to the "mod" thing and am a little worried I will screw up my game. Also I am a bit confused about the necessity of having the mods for the game of the month...why is the mod necessary in the first place?

Hello. I have the steam version of BTS(3.19) and I just downloaded the BUFFY mod (latest version). SO I will be able to play the game of the month? yes/no/maybe?
:wavey: Welcome to GOTM! :beer:
You will not be able to play BOTM20 as it must be played in version 3.17 of :bts:.
BOTM21 will be in version 3.19 and will require HoF Mod BUFFY-3.19.001. That game should begin on the 15th of August. My signature has the link to download the BUFFY Mod.

Also: I want to play ALL the games of the month for civ 4 ( I really like the game) and am wondering if its possible to do that relatively easily with my steam version. I have Civ 4, warlords and BTS all through steam.
Yes, we have players who have successfully used the STEAM version.

:lol: And I am lazy so I am wondering if anyone out there does this very thing and can tell me the easy way to do this haha.:lol:
I do not have STEAM, so I am not entirely sure of the directory structure. The HoF Mods need to be placed in the MOD folders of the games in the directory "Program Files", not in your save game directories under "My Games". When you start the HoF Mod executable files, they should find the correct directories, but please be sure to check that it will install the Mod in the proper mod folder.

I am new to the "mod" thing and am a little worried I will screw up my game. Also I am a bit confused about the necessity of having the mods for the game of the month...why is the mod necessary in the first place?
The mods do not necessarily start when you start a game. When you select a xOTM save under "Load a Game" in the single player menu, the mod will automatically load for that game as the save will not play without it. The mods do not load automatically unless you tell the game to do so in the .ini file.

The mods are necessary as they correct certain bugs in the game as well as monitor your play for reloads or other forms of cheating. Please see the general riules here.

You can read about allowed and disallowed exploits here.

The introduction page and rules can be found here.

I hope you enjoy playing the games and good luck as you learn and grow as a CivFanatic. :thumbsup:

Those of us who are not modders are often hesitant about the HOF (now BUFFY for BOTM) mod at first, but we inevitably wonder how we lived without it once we try it! :goodjob:

So have no fear, and dive in! ;)

dV

OK I loaded up warlords version 213 then loaded up HOF version 2.13.003...then I tried to open the save game for civ iv wotm xxiv:china.

error message: the save file you have selected is protected to ensure that the assets in your mod folder have not been changed.

<sigh>

whats the step by step process to play one of these things? I have the proper version of warlords, the proper version of the HOF mod. I have the HOF mod loaded and try to open the save file for the game...what am I missing here? its probably obvious to you guys but its some minor procedure I am not aware of...

whats the step by step process to play one of these things? I have the proper version of warlords, the proper version of the HOF mod. I have the HOF mod loaded and try to open the save file for the game...what am I missing here? its probably obvious to you guys but its some minor procedure I am not aware of...
I do not know what operating system you are using. If it is Vista, you must give Civ4 administrator rights. I use XP, but I believe you right click on the Civ4 Warlords shortcut and it is either in that menu or under Properties that you can allow admin rights.

I do not know what operating system you are using. If it is Vista, you must give Civ4 administrator rights. I use XP, but I believe you right click on the Civ4 Warlords shortcut and it is either in that menu or under Properties that you can allow admin rights.
Take a look at the HOF site http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ4/mod.php

and the Vista fixes page ... http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ4/mod.php?show=vista

if you are running Vista. If there are questions regarding that, then let us know specifically what aspect.

If you are not running Vista, let us know that too.

Do you have BTS? There was some change that a BTS patch made to basic Civ 4 (and maybe warlords) that used to require non BTS users to swap a couple of dll files ... but maybe that was solved with some later patch? If not solved, and no BTS at your end, that might explain an XP problem.

To the mods: have we ever collected all of our troubleshooting pearls in one place?

dV

I have XP and yes I also have BTS newest version as well. Guess I will see if the game on aug 15 will run. Also I noticed that games require "lock modified assets" checked...but how do you load a game that will default to lock modified assets when the only time I see the option is when I am going to start a "custom" game in the first place? Is there a way to load a saved game using the options I select for a custom game?

I have XP and yes I also have BTS newest version as well. Guess I will see if the game on aug 15 will run.
Do you have any other mods, maps or other things like custom units located in either the Warlords or Vanilla folders?

Please try Asset Checker.

Please check both the Warlords and Vanilla folders.

Also I noticed that games require "lock modified assets" checked...but how do you load a game that will default to lock modified assets when the only time I see the option is when I am going to start a "custom" game in the first place?
You do not have to use "Locked Modified Assets" unless you are playing a game that you intend to submit to the Hall of Fame.

The saves you will download for playing xOTM will all be locked.

Is there a way to load a saved game using the options I select for a custom game?
The only way I know of is to use "Play a Scenario" and use a World Builder file that is located in the WorldBuilder save folder.

Once a save is created and saved, I do not think you can load it and change the settings.

Are you trying to play old xOTM's? If so, each game that has been published allows you to download the WorldBuilder file from that games results page. You can find it just under the game's title. This frees you from having to use the game version and mod that was used to create the game.

Hi curtnoel, welcome to this community! :goodjob:

I'm running Civ & Warlords from CD, and BTS through steam. There is typically a month or two delay between the launch of a patch and when the GOTM is run with that patch, so perhaps you may want to prevent steam to auto-patch your game? (Select "My Games" in the steam client window. Right-click on the BTS icon, select Properties at the bottom. Select the Updates tab, then select "Do not automatically update this game" in the "Automatic updates" field.) The patches doesn't get released that often, so it's not a big deal perhaps for GOTM. I've chosen automatic updates, so you should do whatever is convenient for you.

The BUFFY mod should be stored in:
E:\Program\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's civilization iv beyond the sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods

You can play any old GOTM/WOTM/BOTM: just download the worldbuilder save from the results page (example: WOTM 24, China, Noble). Save the worldbuilder file in ...\My Documents\My Games\Warlords\Saves\WorldBuilder. Then you can play with or without BUFFY (or any HOF version). Start Warlords, select Advanced/Load a Mod, select BUFFY, game needs to be restarted. Then you start a scenario and select WOTM24. Normally you accept the default settings.

It should also be possible to run all games that are based on the latest patch by downloading the save from the forum. Just make sure you have downloaded the corresponding HOF version (we used the HOF mod before BUFFY).

GOTM 45 - Rome works with the latest patch and latest HOF.

I don't know if you consider this relatively easy? :lol:

There are two reasons for using HOF/BUFFY. The first is that these mods provides much more information to the player. Or rather, the information is already available without the mods but it's much more accessible. These mods make the game easier to play in the respect that they offload the player from trivial/boring tasks. The second reason is that the mods check if the player has modified the game (such as reducing the cost of units or whatever can be done). The Game of the Month series is a friendly competition, so it should be as fair as possible.

Keep in mind that the BUFFY and the HOF mods shall be stored in the same directory structure as the installed games, not in the "my documents" structure (that's where the game saves are located). These mods do not mess up you installation/game.

Don't hesitate to ask any questions if I managed to confuse you instead of help you :lol:

ok for gotm 45 rome I loaded up the HOF mod and got it started with little effort.

Now tell me one thing: which EXACT filepath did you save the savegame to....

and did you "play a scenario" to get it started or "load a save game" ??

I tried damn near everything to get this beast started and every single time I get the same error. I need an EXACT filepath where I save the savegame file because somethings not right here....

ok for gotm 45 rome I loaded up the HOF mod and got it started with little effort.

Now tell me one thing: which EXACT filepath did you save the savegame to....

and did you "play a scenario" to get it started or "load a save game" ??

I tried damn near everything to get this beast started and every single time I get the same error. I need an EXACT filepath where I save the savegame file because somethings not right here....
If I understand your question correctly, you want to know where to download the starting save for a GOTM, WOTM, or BOTM?

What I do is download it to my desktop. Then, a double click on the desktop icon launches the game and the save file, and it is smart enough to automatically load up the required mod ... no having to select "load a mod" at the start menu.

Try this if you have not already used this approach.

If you are trying to load the save after opening the game, maybe default settings in the game load are messing you up?

Of course, I run on disks, so maybe steam is different?

dV

If I understand your question correctly, you want to know where to download the starting save for a GOTM, WOTM, or BOTM?

What I do is download it to my desktop. Then, a double click on the desktop icon launches the game and the save file, and it is smart enough to automatically load up the required mod ... no having to select "load a mod" at the start menu.

Try this if you have not already used this approach.

If you are trying to load the save after opening the game, maybe default settings in the game load are messing you up?

Of course, I run on disks, so maybe steam is different?

dV

...didnt work but thx for the suggestion. Looks like it probably would work if it didnt have to go through steam first to get Civ 4 to play. I think it would work if I had downloaded it from D2d instead, apparently steam MUST be running first to load up Civ 4/warlords/bts. I actually need to place the savefile inside the game but WHICH folder. I thought I tried them all but theres alot of combinations and apparently I am having rotten luck all the way around here.

Steam will not start CIV even if you double click the save file.

Once you've downloaded the start file, you move it to: My Documents\My Games\beyond the sword\Saves\single

Then you can open it with "load a saved game"

You can also navigate to the correct folder when you "load a saved game". The navigation window cannot handle shortcuts/links so the easiest way would be to put the save directly on C:\ :lol:

Could you please repeat what error you get every time?

here is the error message that plays no matter HOW I try and start one of these Game of the Month:

"the save file you have selected is protected to ensure that the assets in your mod folder have not been changed" then I get a little box in the upper right corner that says LOAD FAILED and then crash.

I am starting to think its a steam thing because it LOOKS like it wants to run then bam. nothing happens.

after googling the error message I noticed that alot of folks have this issue and they solved it by deleting completely (including manually going in and deleting every single trace of an old install) and re-installing. SOmething about checksum doohickies and also about FAT32 versus NTFS file structure of my disk :

"""Originally Posted by Gyathaar
In addition to the fat32/ntfs problems, there is a problem if you have any extra files in the directories.. like you you made changes to any files and made backup copies.

These extra files will make the checksums fail, and they are not automatically deleted if you uninstall.. so if you uninstall and there is still an assets dir remaining, then there is probably some extra files in them that cause problems if you dont manually delete/move them."""

so fresh install is going to be what I am going to try next. not gonna change any file structures: sounds beyond me but I can delete and reinstall we will see if steam allows that

...didnt work. Oh well. Thanks to all that replied, I have spent way too much time trying to get something to work that should be easily done. I think Steam is adding something to the mix that causes the security checks to fail. Im too pissed off now to enjoy the game anyway.

...didnt work. Oh well. Thanks to all that replied, I have spent way too much time trying to get something to work that should be easily done. I think Steam is adding something to the mix that causes the security checks to fail. Im too pissed off now to enjoy the game anyway.

I have Steam and Vista and have played previous BOTMs. Here's what I found works for me:

1) Go into Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\sid meier's beyond the sword\Beyond the sword then right-click->Properties for Civ4BeyondSword.exe and find and tick the "Run as administrator" checkbox. Note: you have to tick this one to always run as admin -- when BTS loads a game that uses a mod (eg the BUFFY mod) it restarts itself with the mod, so if you only right-click->Run as admin, to run it once as an admin but not always, then after the restart it'll no longer be running as admin and will fail the game's security check.
2) When you start Steam, you must also run it as an administrator, otherwise it will be unable to start Civ and you'll get an error. (Personally, I do this one by right-clicking the steam shortcut and selecting "Run as administrator" when I start it, because I only want it to run as admin when I want to play Civ, and not when I want to play any other game.) Note that if you have Steam set to start automatically on Windows start-up, you'll probably have to close it (right-click->exit on the system tray icon) in order to restart it as an administrator.

Then to start a BOTM game:
Download the save file
Open BTS (running Steam as an admin)
Single Player
Load Game
navigate to the save file (which is usually in my downloads folder)

done.

[rant]Moderator Action: Deleted. There's really no need to spell out such cheats [/rant]

I can confirm the following procedure works for using Buffy on Windows 7:
  • install Beyond the Sword from Steam
  • install Buffy for that BtS installation (which is the default if you have no other BtS install)
  • navigate to the Civ4BeyondSword executable (e.g. D:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword), right click to open its properties and choose always to run with administrator privileges (under the Compatibility tab on Windows 7). This is needed so that Civ4 runs as administrator if/when the executable restarts when you go to load the Buffy mod.
  • run Steam with administrator privileges (for example, right click on the desktop shortcut and choose to run as administrator, or if you always want to run Steam as administrator, do as in the previous step). This is needed so that Steam has the right to run that administrator-requiring BtS executable.
  • start BtS from Steam
  • either load a save that requires Buffy, or choose Advanced->Load a Mod->Buffy

Top Bottom