Civ 4 mod allowing multi planet civilizations?

Is this multi-layer map idea possible with the Civ 4 Game Engine?

• Yes

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters

leighhobson89

Chieftain
Hi, I am a new member so I am not sure where this should be posted so dont be too harsh.

I am looking for a mod that has a similar (or better) idea to the Civ II Test of Time mode where you had Earth and the Alpha Centauri planet. You could build cities on Alpha Centauri and encounter an alien civilization, but only after you had sent the spaceship.

A mod that allowed this kind of thing, like multi layer maps or something would be incredible, especially if you could do it between even more planets than just the two. Any ideas? I hate that the game ends just as its getting good, you dont necessarily need new techs, just to be able to continue expanding and coming across new (civs or aliens). However, I still want to go through the earth part of the game, and i dont like the space mods such as final frontier.

Thanks in advance. :)

There are several mods that are similar, although not identical to what you are asking for. The two that I have played and like are Planetfall and Final Frontier Plus. Final Frontier Plus is a mod of the Final Frontier mod that comes with the game but is much better. Take a look at these and other mods in the "Project & Mod Development" section of the "Creation & Customization" forum in the CIV forum.

In theory having more than one map in a game appears to be possible.

In practice, it has not been done.

The Caveman 2 Cosmos mod (and therefore my Rocks 2 Rockets mod, which is a trimmed down C2C) has most of the necessary modifications to the DLL, added for its "viewport" feature that allows smaller parts of a map to be all that is actively in use and shifting between them as necessary (useful for reducing the amount of memory required). Basically, the DLL lies to the .exe about how big the map is and has the ability to change between different parts of the map being what the .exe is showing. The changes to allow it use completely different maps could be added in to that, but it would probably still require a fair amount of work in the DLL, and some Python for a map selection UI, to get it working - it might involve things like destroying (as far as the .exe is concerned, they would all always exist in the DLL) all the units and cities and signs, and probably some other things, that are on the first map and creating the ones on the second map when switching to it, for example.

Thanks for your replies. So it seems like theres no quick packages to download. I am not a developer by any means and was hoping to relive the Test of Time days a bit, I've always liked the idea of building a civ, and then expanding it to a second map which represents a second planet, and being able to continue building, seems to be the natural progression for me after spending so long playing games that always involve winning by sending a ship to another planet.

Maybe some civ enthusiast will one day take a look at producing something like this, im sure it would go down a storm, and I reckon Civ 4 is the best platform to do it on. Here's hoping, I'd buy it for sure!

Cheers,

Leigh. :D

Top Bottom