Civ 4 vs. Civ 5, in my opinion

bobacjj06

Chieftain
First of all let me say that I’ve only been playing the Civ games for a few months and have only played 4 and 5. I’m not the best Civ player by any means so I may not know all the complexities of these games and may get some of these things wrong but I’m going to explain why I think that both games are very good and then conclude my opinion as best as I can.

1UPT vs. SoD

The first glaring difference is 1UPT vs. the SoD. I believe that both of these are fun, but I favor the 1UPT. Some people on the forums are saying that the SoD was just gathering as many units as possible and steamrolling. There was a lot more strategy than that however. You could split the stack and target multiple cities so that you can take both instead of the opponent amassing enough defensive troops to save one of the cities. However if the stack is large enough there is no stopping that. There are also many units that have counters that when fortified in a city can really help to even the odds. So I think it was more than just as one person on the forums puts it, “Build some melee or gunpowder units, a bunch of siege, group together, and click go-to button next to enemy capital.” The 1UPT fighting system is more complicated than some people give it credit for. This makes positioning of units very important. There were a few times while playing Civ 5 for the first time that I was frustrated of how I moved a unit because it screwed up what I was trying to do or messed up getting more troops into the area. I also absolutely love the implementation of ranged attacking. This actually makes archers useful on the offensive. The tactics that one can employ with the ranged units are full of potential and while they may not do a ton of damage, they can even the odds for your swordsman against their long swordsman. I’m not going to get into more tactics of this as this would make this already long post exorbitantly long.

Other fighting related intricacies

Now I was very intrigued when one person posted on the slow production for creating a defense against an incoming army, “One army will be completely destroyed. Given the production costs and times, there is no way that any civ can recover after the first wave of battles. Movement of troops will always be much faster than the best production city.” While I agree with this, I also think that making gold in Civ 5 has become easier than in Civ 4 (I may be wrong about this, but from every game I’ve played in each Civ has pointed me to this outcome.) Because of this, buying units is very much so encouraged in Civ 5 and can really offset the lack of production speed. In Civ 4 if you choose to make money, your science took a tremendous hit which for the most part was not worth it except in the dire times of needing to upgrade units on the defense. Producing a great economy in Civ 5 has huge benefits and can net crazy amounts of gold per turn. Even one unit can make a fairly large difference in a battle in Civ 5 so I believe that this really evens out the slow production speed.
The other fighting change that I really enjoy in Civ 5 is the defense of cities. They can bombard without needing a protecting unit around and are actually quite difficult to take over sometimes. I’m not saying that it was easy to do so in Civ 4, but rather that I enjoy Civ 5’s defense much more. It is no longer about rushing as many units as possible into a city to protect it, but it is more so about attaining a high defense score and most importantly not letting the enemy get close to the city. This is one change that I favor strongly.

Social Policies vs. Civics

I’ve found that this has become a most heated debate among Civ players. In Civ 4 you have much more on the fly approach. I loved having the choice to switch to Police State or Vassalage when a war would draw near. The amount of freedom in the civics was great and a highlight of Civ 4. Civ 5’s Social Policies cannot be changed after being selected and this leads to more strategic selecting in my opinion. When selecting a new policy, you must weigh its useful for now vs. later. Honor is a great option for someone that wants to war, but perhaps you want a scientific win and choose another branch like Liberty which may not make an immediate impact like Honor would. War then breaks out and your choice may not be considered so wise now. You cannot switch your policy now to compensate. You could however have taken the immediate impact policy or even saved up the policy for a later use, but then that is just delving deeper into the strategy of the policies. On a side note, I love the use of eras for Social Policies in Civ 5. If I’m not mistaken, eras really did not make much difference in Civ 4, but shooting to break into a certain era for a policy to unlock is very nice and can lead to some interesting strategies.

Wonders

Wonders in Civ 4 were quite wondrous. For the most part in Civ 5 however, wonders are nice to have but not essential. From playing Civ 5, I have not found a certain wonder that is so beneficial that I shoot for it every game. Some are very beneficial to have like the Chichen Itza, but they are not game changers. When I play Civ 4, if I do not get the Pyramids, then my entire game changes and I have to rethink everything I’m about to do.

Special Abilities

The introduction of each civilization having a special ability is one of my favorite new aspects of the game. This makes playing as each civilization a much different game. In Civ 4, the leader perks were nice to have but did not alter my style of play very much. Playing as Songhai makes me a little more inclined to go barbarian hunting and warmongering, and playing as France makes me strive for a more cultured people. Knowing your enemies and their special ability makes a larger difference in Civ 5 in my opinion. When playing Civ 4, it did not matter who the enemy was for it wouldn’t change my strategy (except if I knew they had a very good special unit coming up). In Civ 5, most civilizations have a certain way to handle them. For example, if I know Japan is an enemy, I will be much more cautious in a war against him due to his Bushido, or if playing against England, I know not to try for a naval war.

Other odds and ends

Religion. So many people argue how leaving it out of Civ 5 hurt the game so much. It was a neat idea, but does it really deserve such an outcry for it? Really what giant effect did it have in Civ 4? I know it increased happiness which was amazing at the right time and may alter diplomacy a bit, but was it really that essential to have? I could play a game of Civ 4 without religion and not even notice that it was missing. Some people have also complained about not having espionage. Do not forget that this is vanilla Civ 5. Also, espionage was more so a handicap for the AI to me. I wouldn’t play with it on because then the AI would actually put points into espionage (lessening its science) and it was just an edge that the AI gave me since I would not put anything into it. The benefits did not even come close to outweighing the loss of science or gold in my opinion. Finally, golden ages. I think having a meter for achieving a golden age in Civ 5 was a great new addition. This almost guarantees each civilization two golden ages and it only takes one great person to trigger a golden age no matter how many have been used already. Decreasing the golden age length for each additional great person is far better than increasing the number of great people needed for a golden age in my opinion.

Verdict

I know this is a very long post and I thank you for reading it if you've made it this far. In my opinion, both games are great to play and enormously fun. They are both on an even playing field. If a friend asked me to play Civ 4, I would not argue to play 5 and if he asked to play 5, I would not argue to play 4. Civ 5 certainly has its hindrances with the terribly unintelligent AI, but I cannot stress enough that this is vanilla Civ 5 and has only been out for about a month. If Civ 5 can live up to some of the potential that it possesses, I can see it far outshining its younger sibling.

Firaxis really went downhill with Civ4. I can't imagine that Civ5 is worse than Civ4? How does one make a game worse than Civ4?

Firaxis really went downhill with Civ4. I can't imagine that Civ5 is worse than Civ4? How does one make a game worse than Civ4?
Are you seriously going to post exact same empty flamebait in various threads only to bother people trying to answer?
Is there any reasoning behind your opinion? Or you're just bored and want to have a laugh from other posters?

Are you seriously going to post exact same empty flamebait in various threads only to bother people trying to answer?
Is there any reasoning behind your opinion? Or you're just bored and want to have a laugh from other posters?

Your post is not only irrational and inaccurate,it is also obviously intended to be personally offensive and I've reported it.

Moderator Action: Let me be clear if the flaming does not stop the thread will be closed and infractions given out

OP's original point about buying units rather than producing them is an interesting observation. Part my mentality has been really focused on producing units, and of course you do get a much better "army" when it is produced in a city with barracks, armory, etc.

But it is interesting to think, that you can forgo serious production cities and buy your army only. A strategy, I'll have to think about next game.

I think that's a great first post bob. And I think all your points are fair, but not the whole story.

As I've said previously I don't think the combat AI is worse than previously, it's just that the changes expose its weaknesses. That said, they do need to work on it, because the only alternative is what they do currently - give the AI a huge advantage on churning out troops at higher levels, due to not working to the same gold restrictions.

The rest of the AI has some problems too, and these need to be fixed urgently. There are two aspects to this - the AI doing dumb things like being stuck on a small island and not sending settlers by sea, and annoying things - like the way diplomacy works at present (not the first Civ where this has been a problem TBH).

Then there's the interface. The only thing I absolutely miss is the clock, especially as the game seems to hate you alt-tabbing, but I agree with others that there appears to be a lack of care about the way information is provided. The Diplomacy information is much worse than prior implementations, for example, and what you get when you win is disgraceful IMO.

Outside these two gripes - the AI & the UI - though, I'm largely happy with Civ V. Still, they are quite large gripes.

Your post is not only irrational and inaccurate,it is also obviously intended to be personally offensive and I've reported it.

Not sure if serious...

I like some of the changes in Civ V. The hex tiles work out pretty good. I'm not sure if the one unit per tile really changes much, since instead of SoD's, I end up fighting carpets of doom.
I also like how you can buy tiles. I've secured many large swaths of territory by locking out through means of buying strategically located tiles.
I like how the amount of resources you control now determines how many of units dependent on that particular resource you can build. It always struck me as ridiculous that one iron mine could let you build unlimited swordsmen. Now, I have to think and plan my resource usage very carefully.
I also like how you can insta-purchase units. Saved me once in fact.
I do miss some things from Civ IV, but things change, and I can always play Civ IV if I want.

About the wonders. I´ve found some to be very important on harder difficulties. For cultural victory it´s most essential to get Cristo Redentor and The Sistine Chapel and I can´t imagine having a large empire without building the The Forbidden Palace

Wonders

Wonders in Civ 4 were quite wondrous. For the most part in Civ 5 however, wonders are nice to have but not essential. From playing Civ 5, I have not found a certain wonder that is so beneficial that I shoot for it every game. Some are very beneficial to have like the Chichen Itza, but they are not game changers. When I play Civ 4, if I do not get the Pyramids, then my entire game changes and I have to rethink everything I’m about to do.

Building the Pyramids when you had neither stone or industrial was a suboptimal strategy in Civ4. You could do it if you wanted to, but the game mechanics certainly did not encourage it.

Special Abilities

The introduction of each civilization having a special ability is one of my favorite new aspects of the game. This makes playing as each civilization a much different game. In Civ 4, the leader perks were nice to have but did not alter my style of play very much. Playing as Songhai makes me a little more inclined to go barbarian hunting and warmongering, and playing as France makes me strive for a more cultured people.

The leader traits had a huge effect on a game strategy in Civ4 too.

Knowing your enemies and their special ability makes a larger difference in Civ 5 in my opinion. When playing Civ 4, it did not matter who the enemy was for it wouldn’t change my strategy (except if I knew they had a very good special unit coming up). In Civ 5, most civilizations have a certain way to handle them. For example, if I know Japan is an enemy, I will be much more cautious in a war against him due to his Bushido, or if playing against England, I know not to try for a naval war.

I don't know if the opponent leader traits affected the strategy in Civ4 that much (they did to some extent - for instance early war was more difficult against protective), but the leader personalities certainly did. It was a whole different game to start next to Monty than next the Gandhi. Now when every leader seems to be more or less a killing machine without personality, the optimal strategy is quite independent of the civs that you meet. BTW I don't find Japan much harder to conquer than the rest of them.

Nice writeup, I am with you on the main points. Some of the Folks here just seem to forget that this is supposed to be a new game, not Civilization 4.5.
Sure this depends on playstile but I neglected espionage almost entirely and the religions... well, nice to make some big money but otherwise it just formed some massive diplomatic blocks you couldn´t break up. Until Free Religion, that is. And that was the point where religion mattered no more and one saw how the game continued to work without religion. *shrug* gone for good in my eyes.

I had a buttload of fun with cIV and played it actually till the dawn of ciV. Great Game with BtS.

Now ciV is here, it´s as addictive as expected, the one-more-turn-syndrom kicked in almost instantly but the gripes it currently has actually DO reduce the fun quite a lot. Don´t remember exactly how I felt about vanilla cIV but I can´t remember myself being dragged back to civ3 while playing cIV.
As mklh said earlier, the leaders just feel so damn random. Everyone is just after your arse. Combine that with the problems the AI shows with the new 1UPT...it´s obvious now that there actually is a demand for tactics. :(
Well, I´m more than willing to give it Time to get over the weaknesses, there is for sure enough potential. Being finetuned it might well make me forget cIV. And if not...well, one can always opt to play a round of good old cIV :)

@JudgeDeath: Thats odd, on Win 7 I can´t complain about alt-tabbing, in fact it works perfectly for me. Not a single crash...maybe I´m just lucky :) But take a look at the modbrowser or however it is called, there are 2-3 mods that incorporate a realtime clock available. One of the first thing I installed, too... somehow ridicolous, I mean we all got a wristwatch but one has gotten so used to an ingame-clock... :D

too bad you are wrong about civ4. It's the greatest civ game ever created.

Top Bottom