Civ 4 vs Social Relationships

What is your current relationship status?

• Single by Choice (Civ rocks)

Votes: 22 15.3%
  • Single

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • GF/BF

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • Married

Votes: 41 28.5%

• Total voters
I'm not especially anti-social. But you gotta have friends. Even if their more into RPG's or FPS and you just can't think of a better way to spend an hour than marching the Russian war machine through Europe... Urge to play Earth 18 rising...

another old-timer and married

Married here too. Just chiming in on what other married folks have said. My wife will watch her Beverly Hills 90201, OC, Greys Anatomy...etc ad nauseum, while I grind through a marathon game on a huge world.

On a side note I really like these polls. They come out every year or so and I see more and more of the original teenagers who embraced civ (and the internet as a whole) get married an settle down. I makes me feel like less of an old crusty gaming nerd.

Sisutil is spot on.

We just had our 10 year anniversary, what did we do? Went and watched Avatar. She's the movie freak and casual gamer, I'm more the into depth gamer and always like a nice movie too, now and again.

The best part is when we're disputing stuff, she always tell me: Go and play your game!

Other benefits are when we go to shopping center, and she finds some nice clothes or whatever, she always asks me if I want another game. :)

I checked married but I am in between married and single (I am fully functional husband and father for 4 days a week and fully single for 3 days). I must say that my wife had a lot of problem with me playing one more turn.

ect ad nauseum,
Just to make sure, ad nauseum means 'bored to sickness', yes?

I'm actually surprised that so many adults play Civ. Most of those I know have no time for anything at all, and indeed my father just plays a quick round of hearts on the computer, or chess, if he can stand the excitement. He says he needs something that just fills in the time between work and sleep, not something that he can get involved in... is it like this for most? Just curious.

I play to relieve the stress of life in general.

To answer your question its a time filler when we're not busy doing chores, at work, or with each other (reading, watching a movie etc) But also I dedicate some some after she falls asleep to civ since I'm still a bit of a night owl. Work the next day is hard but bearable. I'm sure I'm not the only one who falls into this category.

Old gaming habits die hard.

I've been in a relationship for 2,5 years now. She accepts my gaming as just any hobby, although she'll never like strategy games herself. We can have a great time playing Super Nintendo games like Super Mario World and Micro Machines together though :cool:
Just to make sure, ad nauseum means 'bored to sickness', yes?

I'm actually surprised that so many adults play Civ. Most of those I know have no time for anything at all, and indeed my father just plays a quick round of hearts on the computer, or chess, if he can stand the excitement. He says he needs something that just fills in the time between work and sleep, not something that he can get involved in... is it like this for most? Just curious.
Without the bored. Until sickness/until you get sick would be a more accurate translation.

My father plays AoE, Sim City (2000, mind you) and Red Alert ( the first) a lot, but I've never been able to convince him of the wonders of Civ.

Very interesting, i learned Sisiutil's a she and is seeing at least two different people.

Very interesting, i learned Sisiutil's a she and is seeing at least two different people.

You know, you shouldn't believe everything you read on the interwebs. In actual fact, I am a male lesbian who's been carrying on a torrid love affair with the same woman for over 20 years. ;)

Married, Engaged, and have a girlfreind. Do I get extra votes? Polygyny is nice...

I play Civ III with my wife, but she hates 4 with a passion so I generally play it while she watches crime shows. My fiancee likes video games, but she's more of a PS2 fan, and my girlfreind is more into designing graphics and making stories than playing video games.

I checked married but I am in between married and single (I am fully functional husband and father for 4 days a week and fully single for 3 days). I must say that my wife had a lot of problem with me playing one more turn.
I'm curious as to what you mean by this, as long as you don't mind me asking. Presumably you don't get divorced and remarried every week. I suppose you mean that you have an arrangement with your wife such that you are 'uncommitted' 3 days a week. Or maybe you have multiple identities, like Batman?

As for myself, I'm in a long-term relationship, but not married. We've lived together for 7 years but have no intention of ever marrying each other or anybody else. My girlfriend and I play civ together from time to time, but I'm by far the more serious gamer.

I'm curious as to what you mean by this, as long as you don't mind me asking. Presumably you don't get divorced and remarried every week. I suppose you mean that you have an arrangement with your wife such that you are 'uncommitted' 3 days a week. Or maybe you have multiple identities, like Batman?

As for myself, I'm in a long-term relationship, but not married. We've lived together for 7 years but have no intention of ever marrying each other or anybody else. My girlfriend and I play civ together from time to time, but I'm by far the more serious gamer.

No we do not divorce every week but we have two appartments, so I am living in big one for 4 days a week with my vife and kidds and 3 days I am in my singles appartment closer to where I work living my single man life (this means playing civ and rellaxing, not any other more sinister activities).

Top Bottom