1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[Vanilla] Civ 4 worked fine last week, won't launch today

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Technical Support' started by kittens, Jun 8, 2019.

1. kittens

kittens Chieftain

Hello Civ Fanatics. First time poster here.
    I've played Civ. 4 on my Windows 7 computer many, many times, most recently last weekend. But now it's just stopped working, and I can't figure out why.
    I clicked on the game and nothing happened. I opened "Process Explorer" to see if it was trying to load, and it did indeed appear there, as "Civilization4.exe" with "Rundll32.exe" immediately underneath, but they weren't doing anything. I killed the process and tried clicking on the game again. The two files reappeared on Process Explorer, and there was a brief burst of CPU activity, but then they went down to nothing and nothing happened again, even though they stayed on the list.
    If not for checking Process Explorer, I would not even know that the game was trying to launch, for nothing at all appeared on screen, not even that little box that shows the progress of loading.
    I tried restarting the computer. It didn't help.
    I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game. It didn't help, either.
    I tried reinstalling the DirectX from the C.D. It didn't help.
    In desperation, I even tried turning the computer back to a Windows Restore point generated about a week ago. The system hadn't done any Windows Updates in that time, but I figured what the hell, it can't hurt, right? But it didn't help.
    I am out of ideas. I can't figure out why it would work last week but not today. Does anyone have any suggestions? In the meantime, I am going to go play Civ. 4 in the basement on an old XP computer that still runs the game (slowly).