1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ 5: Civilizations/Leaders Wanted!

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Camikaze, Jul 26, 2011.

1. TPangolin

TPangolin Just the worst person

Regarding the Vatican, I'd just make the "Cardinal" a part of the UA. You'll need a Military UU, since every other Civ has at least one - so just stick with something like the Swiss/Papal Guards. I'd give Popes unique names too and make it a true OCC.

2. echolalia

echolalia Chieftain

Since this is even more an OCC than Venice, perhaps it's cultural borders could expand into others civ's territory. ( but not be able to buy)

3. Ikael

Ikael King

Alright, new two ideas for civs!:

Mapuche

UA: Adamapu oral tradition. Whenever an enemy unit is killed inside your borders, the tile where it perish will generate a permanent +1 culture per turn (non-stackable). Horseback units have +1 moves; and have +25% strenght when fighting inside your borders.

UU: Mapu-toqui: Replaces Great general. It confers the same benefits of a great general. They can be sacrificed in order to both regenerate all nearby friendly units (and cities!) to full HP inside and damage every nearby enemy unit (25% of their HP) on a special action called "Araucan epic". Mapu-toqui garrisoned inside your cities will generate +3 faith and +3 culture. +1 movement after the discovery of animal husbandry

UI Rucas (huts): No tech requirement. Rucas can only be build on forest / jungle tiles next to mountains with no resources near to them, it does not destroy the jungle / forest below. +1 food, gold and culture. Your city will generate both the luxury resource below, and an additional, Mapuche-specific one, the Guemil (a typically andean clothing that played a big role in andean trade)

The Mapuche are a relatively unknown and, IMHO, underrated civilization. They were the very only native americans able to resist the Spanish conquistadores, which earned them both respect (heroic epic praising their bravery included) and a respected peace treaty that lasted for centuries and allowed them to preserve their cultural heritage in a far more effective fashion than any other native American civilization.

Their style is a mix of cultural and defensive gameplay. The Mapu-toqui (great military - civilizian leaders) will make you able to either wage wars with dramatic "last resort moves" or aiming for an early religion / culture. The rucas (traditional Mapuche huts) allows you a far earlier expansion due to its earlier avaibility (no need to previous technologies) and the extra happiness provided by the extra luxury. They are Very situational even with the starting bias, but they can really give a healthy early happiness and commerce push.

Kingdom of Israel

UA Torah scholars:
    Tiles, buildings and wonders that yields 3 faith or more generates +2 science each
    Great prophets are 25% cheaper to acquire

UB: Sinagogue (replaces temple): +1 faith. +1 faith to every tile that already generates at least 1 faith point

UI Kibutz: Requires economy. It must be built on a desert tile next to a oasis or luxury resource. +2 food and production, +4 gold if traversed by trade routes

A very unique civilization whose combination of traits hasn't been tried before, Israel is apt at both religion due to to their early access to religion (cheaper great prophets) and its UB. However, in order for it to take advantage of its science bonus, you will need to carefully build your civilization vertically: aim for holy sites, pantheons that greatly reward concentrated faith yield, Piety SPT and faith generating wonders in order to reap the scientific bonuses from your Torah Scholars. The choosing between desert folklore VS mother earth should be... interesting.

Finally, the Kibutz is a way to tie old Israel with the less polemic aspects of modern Israel, its extreme situational nature will force you to control very specific plots of land to make the best of it, but it will also allow your civilization to thrieve into otherwise less desirable (desert) land.

More new civs to come, stay tuned! :D

4. androzanimajor

androzanimajor Chieftain

I'm bad at this, if anyone could help that would be awesome. I can't really think of anything for this civ, but it would be a nice idea. We need Caucasian civs >:C
    Spoiler :
    Kingdom of Georgia
    Leader: David IV
    Capital: Tbilisi
    UA: Feudal Monarchy
    UU: Khanjali Swordsman

5. fuzzatron717

fuzzatron717 Holy Warrior

Leader: I think either David IV or Queen Tamar both were very capable leaders.

UA Ultimate Survival: I think maybe if you are conquered you can still play as a semi independent nation. So Restrictions are Tourism is cut in half. Have to go to war with leader country when he goes to war. Can declare independence after 10 turns of being vassal this will cause war with country that conquered you 90% of the time. You obtain 40% of all the nations Culture, Science, and No Unhappiness from your own built cities anymore. Good thing about this is you can't lose if you are conquered and there are some slight bonuses to come with it. It is a complicated UA and it may probably come in most handy if you are conquered by early warmongers.

UU United peoples: Replacement of Knight like the tercio it is a mix of two units Knight and Pikemen. Ok its stats 4:c5moves: Cost is 140 :c5production: 260 :c5faith: it has 28 :c5war: Can either upgrade to Cavalry or Lancers.

UB The Gelati Universities: Replacement to the University. Great Writers and Scientists spawn 33% faster in this city. Other Great people spawn 20% Faster. 50%:c5science: and instead of +2:c5science: on jungle its +3:c5science: on mountains and people don't have to work mountains to gain the science bonus. So in lamens terms you have mountains in city range you get an instant 3 science for each mountain.

6. Silverman6083

Silverman6083 History-Lover

Title says it all. Please post 1 from:
    Europe, Middle East, Asia, Oceania/Scandinavia, N/C America, S America, Africa, and 2 from anywhere else. Mainly because history is so Eurocentral.
    For me its:
    Hungary
    Israel
    The Golden Horde
    Finland
    Canada
    Argentina
    Mali
    Lithuania
    Australia

7. MarauderCH

MarauderCH Warlord

8. Merciorum

Merciorum Prince

Omani Empire.

9. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Moderator Action: Thread merged with existing Civs Wanted sticky thread in Ideas & Suggestions

10. Navelgazer

Navelgazer Prince

I'll bite on this one.
    Holy See (We're already so crowded with European powers it just makes sense to fill this slot with another significant hypercube)
    Israel (Because seriously)
    Vietnam
    Australia
    Canada
    Gran Colombia
    Kongo
    Argentina
    Inuit

11. Viregel

Viregel , The Rt. Hon.

Just out of interest, why is this now in General Discussions?

12. Ajay Sabharwal

Ajay Sabharwal Chieftain

I don't if this will be apt on this thread but I'll mention this anyway. (And I guess I might have said this on some thread(s) earlier)

I'd like to see Gandhi be replaced by the Mughal Emperor Akbar, the Great. He fits well in military, economy, faith and culture. Perhaps something related to golden age wouldn't be that bad either.

13. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

Moderator Action: These aren't the droids you're looking for. :scan:

14. MKDELTA3

MKDELTA3 Warlord

I've always wanted to see Italy in a civ game.

Kingdom of Italy
    UA: Cultural Heritage: Great Works and Artifacts yield +1 :tourism:. Landmarks yield 50% more :c5culture:.
    UU: Bersaglieri: Replaces Great War Infantry. +10% combat strenght on hills, ignores movement cost on hills and can move through mountains. 10% attack bonus.
    UB: Palazzo: Replaces Bank. Extra gold from trade routes. 15% bonus to :c5greatperson: generation. Contains a slot for Great Work of Art or Artifact.

So here we have a very cultural civilization that should work for both passive and active cultural victories.

I'm not sure what exactly the Bersaglieri should replace since they are a relatively old formation that has survived to the present day or what their exact powers should be. They were initialy founded as skirmisher infantry that was used instead of cavalry then trained as mountain infantry, then bicycle troops, then as elite WWII unit and today mech infantry. :crazyeye:

Palazzo is supposed to represent the renaissance era of city-states which were great patrons of the arts.

Now, I don't think Finland is very deserving for a spot as a civ but here's just a suggestion for fun.

Republic of Finland
    UA: Lake and Marsh tiles yield +1 :c5food:, :c5production:, :c5gold: and :c5culture:. Trade routes to City States slow the decay of your influence by 10% and you gain a 20% :c5influence: bonus with City States every time you make a proposal to the World Congress.
    UU: Jaeger: Replaces Great War Infantry. Starts with Ambush. +1 Movement and 50% Flank attack bonus if it starts it's turn in Finnish territory.
    UB: Timber Rafts: Replaces the Hydro Plant. Avaible at Industrialization and doesn't require Aluminium. +1 :c5production: for River and Lake tiles and +1 :c5gold: from Forest tiles on Rivers. +10% :c5gold:

Finland can put some of the worst tiles in the game into good use and has a very diplomacy-oriented playstyle. I didn't want to make the diplo bonus too passive as they tend to be. Getting to be the World Congress leader is going to be very good for you.

I wanted to give the Jaeger a more unique bonus than Drill or a combat bonus in friendly territory. The bonuses reflect the fighting style of Finnish troops in WWII which was based on flanking attacks and encircling the enemies. This worked especialy well against mechanized troops caught in blocked roads and poor terrain. Flat +1 movement helps to faciliate flanking attacks even in rough terrain without duplicating the abilities of the Norwegia Ski Trooper. They aren't going to be particulary usefull outside of home territory but they are good for defense and making quick raids into enemy territory.

Timber Rafts is supposed to represent the forestry-based industries which were based around waterways and lakes. They helped to kickstart the exceptionaly fast industrial growth Finland experienced during the modern era. Gameplay-wise the bonus gold should help with diplomacy.

15. phaethon16

phaethon16 King

I support the inclusion of all the civs in my signature. As for the above post, I like Italy more than I do Finland. Italy seems to have a really clear purpose and some nice abilities. I like the Palazzo, although you may want to cut one of its three abilities, because right now it's a little OP. My suggestion would be to ditch the extra gold from trade routes. Same thing with the Bersaglieri. It's a good unit, but it has too many abilities. Try to pick two of the abilities and cut the other two. The only ability I don't like is the 10% combat boost, because it's a little bland. The other three are all decent and you can pick which ones you like the most. Lastly, the UA is really solid, but I personally don't find it terribly interesting. It's great for what you want it to do, but it's not an ability that I would really have fun using. I don't have any real suggestions as far as improving it, but tinker around with it a little, because it is a good ability, it just isn't active or exciting. All around though, Italy is pretty good.

Finland feels less clear cut. To start with, both your UU and UB come late in the game, which you should try to avoid. Timber Rafts wouldn't be usable until the very end of the game, so it's not a real bonus because you would almost never get a chance to really use it. I think that you could take some of the concepts from it and make a UI out of it that's available earlier, and therefore more useful. If you limit it to marsh and lake tiles, it could enhance your UA considerably. I like that you're trying to make a good marsh/diplomacy civ, and I think a boost to lake and marsh tiles is a good start to that. My worry is that by giving them four additional yields, it's not providing a really solid bonus to anything. The way I see it you can take two different approaches to it. You can give lake/marsh tiles two of one yield and one of another, or you could give it one of one yield, and some other bonus like increased unit defense, science production in they city that works it, attrition to enemy units around it, etc. That sort of thing could end up being less of a really solid bonus but a more interesting. The Jaeger looks fine, but maybe you might want to make its base strength weaker, considering the large promotions you're giving it. Lastly, the diplomacy part of the UA looks interesting, but a little confusing. Could you just explain the World Congress part of it?

Great job on both these civs, they look really cool. I look forward to see what you come up with.

16. Ajay Sabharwal

Ajay Sabharwal Chieftain

I like your Mughal idea (was not able to post there as it was a single post) but wouldn't that lead to a direct domination victory as holy cities are mostly capitals?

17. phaethon16

phaethon16 King

Thanks! It's only a domination victory if you set out to conquer multiple holy cities. I thought it would work just as well if you founded one religion and conquered another, giving you two religions to work with. You could conquer all religious holy cities, but that still wouldn't give you a domination victory because there are less holy cities than there are total capitals. Besides, it was only a suggestion that someone playing the Mughals go for a culture victory, because as you just pointed out you could really go for multiple different victories.

18. Silverman6083

Silverman6083 History-Lover

Papal States:
    Leader: The Pope(or any specific one maybe Julius ll)
    UA: The Papacy: shrines and temples provide 2 culture, monument provides 1 faith
    UU: Crusader: replaces Swordsman, does not require iron, may be purchased with 100 faith (without Holy warfare)
    UB: Basilica: replaces Palace, provides 2 faith

19. phaethon16

phaethon16 King

I like some of the ideas behind this, such as a swordsman that's more accessible because it doesn't require iron and can be purchased with faith. The UB is ok too, but since it replaces the Palace you can only have one, and even then you can't build it. You should consider changing the UB so that the Basilica replaces another building, so as to make it more interesting to use. Likewise, the UA is nice because it helps diversify a city's yields, but it's really passive. More yields, while stable, isn't always very fun to work with. Considering the Papal States isn't a normal civ, I would expect something more dynamic and interactive. Keep working with it, and I look forward to see what you come up with.

20. Ajay Sabharwal

Ajay Sabharwal Chieftain

True. Very realistic.