Civ 5: Civilizations/Leaders Wanted!

If you're going to have the Moors represent Morocco, I strongly reccomend the inclusion of the Black Guard. Also possibly a Medina UB?

The Black Guard can be a touchy subject. First of all, it has multiple meanings. The term has been used for Yusuf's Almoravid soldiers, but also for the later Moroccan black slave regiments. Also, Blackguard has entered common vernacular as a pejorative. So potential insult/hint of racism = touchy.

As for the Medina, are you referring to the walled Arab quarters in many Moorish cities? Those aren't single buildings -- they're entire districts. Moreover, the Medinas often grew up around the Kasbahs, so I think the Kasbah is more appropriate. And it's a single, very important building.

As far as Sumer/Babylon overlap, I didn't mean cultures, I meant the cities available. Babylon's city list includes many that would go to Sumer.

Nah, it's totally not a problem. It's been done before -- they worked together in both Civ3 and Civ4, and they made it work with two completely separate city lists.

Carthage and Byzantium, I've heard many arguments for them before, I just wouldn't want them in a game, that's all.

Ah, well there we simply disagree. I like having those around.

Sioux, I do not advocate a multi-civ Native American. I just did not want the Sioux, specifically (i.e., I have preferences for other groups).

Yeah, the Sioux just have precedent working on their side. If the choice is between having just one tribe implemented or having two separate native civs, I'll always go for more over less. Particularly to avoid Civ4's Native American interpretation.

As to your idea: Nice, but I once saw an idea for Morocco seperately, that'd be my vote.

I'm afraid I don't know what you mean here. Are you suggesting that the Moors and Morocco should be separate civs? Because I cannot think of a way that would work. They are literally the same thing. Also that seems a strange assertion from someone who doesn't prefer the Byzantines or Carthaginians.

The Black Guard can be a touchy subject. First of all, it has multiple meanings. The term has been used for Yusuf's Almoravid soldiers, but also for the later Moroccan black slave regiments. Also, Blackguard has entered common vernacular as a pejorative. So potential insult/hint of racism = touchy.
Aah, fair enough. Black guard for some reason remind me of Swiss Guard / Noble mercenaries from Age of Empires III. Why don't we call them Almoravid soldiers then?

As for the Medina, are you referring to the walled Arab quarters in many Moorish cities? Those aren't single buildings -- they're entire districts. Moreover, the Medinas often grew up around the Kasbahs, so I think the Kasbah is more appropriate. And it's a single, very important building.

I was referring to the road style within the district, how there are streets too narrow for traffic that are used effectively as marketplaces. But I can see where you're coming from for the Kasbah, so fair enough

Aah. Urban Militia sounds too guerilla warfare, civil war, post-apocalyptic esque though.

Well, I can assure that they were definitely a medieval Moorish mainstay. Look at the link I posted for them earlier if you'd like more information. :)

How about Almoravid Guards.

That sounds a little bit generic to me. Do you have a specific link to more information on those?

And would Cordoba be on the Moors list?

Potentially, but not necessarily. I know that in Civ4, the Byzantines had "Constantinople" on their list while the Turks had "Istanbul." So maybe the Moors could have "Qurtuba" while the Spanish have "Cordova?"

Potentially, but not necessarily. I know that in Civ4, the Byzantines had "Constantinople" on their list while the Turks had "Istanbul." So maybe the Moors could have "Qurtuba" while the Spanish have "Cordova?
Personally I don't like that,all cities that are in two city list have the same names.
Example:Honolulu(Polynesia and America)
I don't like that Constantinople and Istanbul are the same cities and have other names in Civ4.
They are the same cities! A city can NOT be a capital of two empires in the same game.

Personally I don't like that,all cities that are in two city list have the same names.
Example:Honolulu(Polynesia and America)
I don't like that Constantinople and Istanbul are the same cities and have other names in Civ4.
They are the same cities! A city can NOT be a capital of two empires in the same game.

I really don't care either way. But it's ultimately up to Firaxis anyway.

They can either do the same city with different names on different lists, or have it so that when one builds a certain city, the other cannot. The most difficult approach would be to limit the overlap cities to one civ -- the Turks would have a very small list otherwise.

The most difficult approach would be to limit the overlap cities to one civ -- the Turks would have a very small list otherwise.
The Byzantines are not yet in the game and it is unlikely that they will ever be.

The Byzantines are not yet in the game and it is unlikely that they will ever be.

And just how do you know that, may I ask? The Byzantines have been included in both of the previous Civ games. It would not surprise me at all to see them in an upcoming expansion.

And just how do you know that, may I ask? The Byzantines have been included in both of the previous Civ games. It would not surprise me at all to see them in an upcoming expansion.
I don't think they will be in the game and hope they will not be.
I don't like Edirne and Adrianopolis,Konya and Iconium etc.
Too much overlap and too much cities(almost all) are the same.

I don't think they will be in the game and hope they will not be.
I don't like Edirne and Adrianopolis,Konya and Iconium etc.
Too much overlap and too much cities(almost all) are the same.

I see.

Well honestly it doesn't bother me. More civs are generally better than less, and the Byzantines make for a unique contribution in my opinion.

As promised, here are the details for more of my proposed never-before-included civs. Hope you enjoy them. Let me know what you think.

The Hebrews
Representing: Various Semitic peoples, the Habiru, 12 Tribes, Kingdoms of Israel and Judah, and the Diaspora.
Leader: Solomon
Capital: Jerusalem
UU: Jewish Slinger
UB: Yeshiva
UA: Children of the Law

The Indonesians
Representing: Sailendra, Medang, Srivijaya, Majapahit, Mataram, Java, Malaysia, Indonesia.
Leader: Hayam Wuruk
Capital: Jakarta
UU: Perahu
UB: Candi
UA: Thalassocracy

The Minoans
Representing: Eteo-Crete, the Minoan culture, Thera, Atlantis. :p
Leader: Minos
Capital: Knossos
UU: Pentekonter
UB: Palace Complex
UA: Masters of the Labyrinth

The Mississippians
Representing: Cahokia, the Mississippian, Muskogean and Fort Ancient cultures.
Leader: Tuskaloosa
Capital: Cahokia
UU: Falcon Warrior
UB: Platform Temple
UA: Mound Builders

The Moors
Representing: al-Andalus, the Cordovan Caliphate, the Almohads, the Almoravids, the Berbers and Morocco.
Leader: Yaqub al-Mansur or al-Mansur
Capital: Marrakech
UU: Urban Militia
UB: Kasbah
UA: Patron of the Arts and Sciences

The Nubians
Representing: Nubia, Napata, Kerma, Meroë, Kush, Sudan.
Leader: Taharqa
Capital: Meroë
UU: Medjay
UB: Kuhorsehockye Pyramid
UA: Kandake Warrior Queens

The Tibetans
Representing: Tibet and other Himalayan cultures.
Leader: Songtsän Gampo
Capital: Lhasa
UU: Sherpa
UB: Gompa
UA: Shangri-La

Still to come: the Assyrians, Cherokee, Congolese, Phoenicians, Polish and Vietnamese.

Two things:
Hebrew slinger might (emphasis on might) be too close to the Incans.
For Tibet, there was an earlier idea that Pouakai and I came up with, with a Gurkha as a UU

Jakarta was not the capital of Indonesia during the reign of Hayam Wuruk,but neither was Beijing at Wu Zetian's,Mecca at Harun al-Rashid's and Athens at Alexander's.
UA: Shangri-La
?????:confused:
This is the third time I post this,but I would like to know what people think of this:
Khmer Empire
Leader:Suryavarman II
Capital:Angkor
UU:Ballista Elephant replaces knight,Strength 22,+25% combat strenght when fighting in jungle
UB:Khmer Temple Complex,replaces temple gives 5 culture per turn + 1 culture for every jungle in a city's radius
Unique Ability:Spiritual Architecture,+25 production when building culture buildings
Although I doubt that it will be released as DLC because the proximity of Siam.

Srivijaya Empire
Leader:Samaratungga
Capital:palembang
UU: Datu,replaces Swordsman Strength:12,can "claim" a tile once
UB:Stupa/Candi,replaces monument gives 3 culture per turn
Unique Ability:Monsoon Power each jungle gives an extra 1 production and 1 gold per turn
(I posted it already in a previous post)

I don't think the capital matters so much, as long as it was a capital at some point (which Jakarta fits).

Although, the UA's probably need to be explained.

Top Bottom