Civ 5: Civilizations/Leaders Wanted!

Dropped the additional 20% culture from my idea. It seems lighter, but the reduced unit purchase cost might just make up for it.

Could be somewhat balanced
civ solely built for Culture Victories

Could be somewhat balanced
civ solely built for Culture Victories

Well, taking out the 20% might help, but the UA seems kinda lame now without it. Its hard to think of a Golden Liberty UA that is universal for all victory types. Perhaps a happiness bonus for each policy taken, much like the Eiffel Tower Bonus?

Civ: Khazars
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khazars
UA: Multi-Religious Society
Religions need -33% pressure to convert citizens, Numeric effects for Follower Beliefs are doubled for Religion which have more than 50% of Civ total population followers.
UB: Khazar Mint , replaces mint, Provide +3 gold for each Silver, Gold and Salt. +1 :happy: for each of those luxury resources connected to the tradework. +15% production cost.
UU: Tarkhan - Swordsman replacement, does not require Iron, Grant +15% combat strength to nearby units (1 tile, similar to GG bonus, does not stack)

Curious about your UA. Do you mean your citizens are more susceptible to religious pressure or your religion requires less pressure to spread? Does the doubling of numerical effects include religious building bonuses?

Thanks for the responses by the way.

Well, taking out the 20% might help, but the UA seems kinda lame now without it. Its hard to think of a Golden Liberty UA that is universal for all victory types. Perhaps a happiness bonus for each policy taken, much like the Eiffel Tower Bonus?

Curious about your UA. Do you mean your citizens are more susceptible to religious pressure or your religion requires less pressure to spread? Does the doubling of numerical effects include religious building bonuses?

Thanks for the responses by the way.

Yes perhaps such happiness bonus could work, indeed

About Khazars - let me explain about their history first and design - they very only Civilisation, which ACCEPTED almost all religions of Europe and Asia of those times. They had some kind of Judiciary , which had different religion representatives, and each Kagan (ruler) had own favorite religion.
During Muslim period Khazars had actually muslim special armies, which fought against Arabia.
They were nation which was very acceptible to other cultures and religions.
They didnt founded any religion. They were traders and warriors. They were quite big nation, with developed cities and infrastructure, which, except the fact they tried to learn as much religions as possible, and had own specific hierarchy, didnt left any culture whatsoever.

Now in game design at comes at place where this conversion feature could be pro and con. They are not founders, but they do benefit from teachings which others bring to their doors. If they are founders, own cities conversion speeds could actually harm development of the Founder belief advantage, be nation converted to other religion. But, they do not need the founder belief. Their all numerical (not religion buildings initial bonuses, just those which come from follower beliefs) values from follower beliefs are doubled. And, as it been in history, they could switch religion in very big speed, if such necessity arises. This makes them very precise historically, and very flavorful. They were always on they own, not so diplomatic, but they welcomed other's teachings, and built own culture on those, newly acquired religions - more - the merrier.

So, as long as they have some Religion-founding neighbors, not necessarily friends, they will get religion faster, and will be able to spread it faster in their own land. As long as you are not isolated, you should not worry for missing serious religion benefits, as Khazars, only need to be sure that there is some religion nearby, and then convert to it >50% of your population. If there new religions with more fitting bonuses, you will be able to change religion very quick, as did real Khazars. :)

Yes perhaps such happiness bonus could work, indeed

About Khazars - let me explain about their history first and design - they very only Civilisation, which ACCEPTED almost all religions of Europe and Asia of those times. They had some kind of Judiciary , which had different religion representatives, and each Kagan (ruler) had own favorite religion.
During Muslim period Khazars had actually muslim special armies, which fought against Arabia.
They were nation which was very acceptible to other cultures and religions.
They didnt founded any religion. They were traders and warriors. They were quite big nation, with developed cities and infrastructure, which, except the fact they tried to learn as much religions as possible, and had own specific hierarchy, didnt left any culture whatsoever.

Now in game design at comes at place where this conversion feature could be pro and con. They are not founders, but they do benefit from teachings which others bring to their doors. If they are founders, own cities conversion speeds could actually harm development of the Founder belief advantage, be nation converted to other religion. But, they do not need the founder belief. Their all numerical (not religion buildings initial bonuses, just those which come from follower beliefs) values from follower beliefs are doubled. And, as it been in history, they could switch religion in very big speed, if such necessity arises. This makes them very precise historically, and very flavorful. They were always on they own, not so diplomatic, but they welcomed other's teachings, and built own culture on those, newly acquired religions - more - the merrier.

Ah, I see now! So your population converts more quickly either from your own religion, which as you said isn't the true value of the UA, but more specifically the religions of others to take advantage of the follower bonuses. So your strategy would be to allow one or two religions into your cities and reap in the follower bonuses. That is indeed a pretty cool idea, though you would have to rely upon your opponents to be aggressive with their religions. Honestly, I like the idea that your own religion can spread in your cities quickly while not effecting other civs.

You indicated in your UA that to receive the follower bonus for a specific religion you would need 50% of the population of ALL of its followers located within .... I'm not sure. I assume in your empire and not just the city. Or am I confused? The strategy here is to have a high population so that you have a majority of a religion's followers in order to receive the doubled numerical bonuses.

Why not just double the numerics of the majority religion (the religion's symbol should show up at this point) and receive the normal follower bonuses of every religion with three followers in the city?

Example: The city Alin has 10 population. Religion Y has 5 followers, religion X has 3, and religion Z has 1. Religion Y has the majority so its symbol shows up on the city and you receive double numerics from its follower beliefs. You also receive the follower beliefs of Religion X, though not doubled, because of the three followers. You don't receive the follower beliefs of Religion Z since Alin only has one follower. Too powerful?

Ah, I see now! So your population converts more quickly either from your own religion, which as you said isn't the true value of the UA, but more specifically the religions of others to take advantage of the follower bonuses. So your strategy would be to allow one or two religions into your cities and reap in the follower bonuses. That is indeed a pretty cool idea, though you would have to rely upon your opponents to be aggressive with their religions. Honestly, I like the idea that your own religion can spread in your cities quickly while not effecting other civs.

You indicated in your UA that to receive the follower bonus for a specific religion you would need 50% of the population of ALL of its followers located within .... I'm not sure. I assume in your empire and not just the city. Or am I confused? The strategy here is to have a high population so that you have a majority of a religion's followers in order to receive the doubled numerical bonuses.

Why not just double the numerics of the majority religion (the religion's symbol should show up at this point) and receive the normal follower bonuses of every religion with three followers in the city?

Example: The city Alin has 10 population. Religion Y has 5 followers, religion X has 3, and religion Z has 1. Religion Y has the majority so its symbol shows up on the city and you receive double numerics from its follower beliefs. You also receive the follower beliefs of Religion X, though not doubled, because of the three followers. You don't receive the follower beliefs of Religion Z since Alin only has one follower. Too powerful?

this is too powerful... my original idea was to recieve double follower bonuses if religion is 50%+ of ur overall population.. that means u need soone speed conversion done...

other idea could be good that city recieves follower AND pantheon belefs bonuses for any, even non dominant religion - basing on your idea.... but not doubled... what you say?

other idea could be good that city recieves follower AND pantheon belefs bonuses for any, even non dominant religion - basing on your idea.... but not doubled... what you say?

I think receiving the pantheon beliefs could be too powerful, but I think receiving follower beliefs from non dominant religions, no doubling, is a pretty cool idea and fits with your idea for Khazar very well. I think the real benefit of this UA is the possibility of constructing all four religious buildings in each of your cities. Could be quite powerful and lead to very interesting gameplay. :goodjob:

Yes seems to be ok this way but i think now in overall package mint ub should be pretty ok balance wise without penalty of increased hammer cost, ua could be downtuned to 10% bonus assuming the tarkhan promition saved thru upgrades

So lets summarize:

Khazars

UA: Religious Acceptance
Religions need -33% pressure to convert Khazar citizens, Cities receive follower beliefs benefits from non-dominant religions in in their cities, addition to regular, Major religion beliefs effects.

UB: Khazar Mint , replaces mint, Provide +3 :c5gold: for each Silver, Gold and Salt. Building provides +1 :c5happy: for each of those luxury resources connected to the trade network.

UU: Tarkhan - Swordsman replacement, does not require Iron, Grant +10% :c5combat: to nearby units (1 tile, similar to GG bonus, does not stack), (saved through upgrades)

So lets summarize:

Khazars

UA: Religious Acceptance
Religions need -33% pressure to convert Khazar citizens, Cities receive follower beliefs benefits from non-dominant religions in in their cities, addition to regular, Major religion beliefs effects.

UB: Khazar Mint , replaces mint, Provide +3 :c5gold: for each Silver, Gold and Salt. Building provides +1 :c5happy: for each of those luxury resources connected to the trade network.

UU: Tarkhan - Swordsman replacement, does not require Iron, Grant +10% :c5combat: to nearby units (1 tile, similar to GG bonus, does not stack), (saved through upgrades)

Alrighty, so the UA is good. Now I'm curious about the UB and UU. I didn't find anything special about Khazar mints (other than they produced silver coins) from your Wiki link. The Tarkhan seems to be primarily a title for subordinate officers, which does explain your unique unit's bonus, but not an actual military unit per se. (I could be totally wrong about this though, guess I need some more info:crazyeye: )

Some other ideas:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arsiyah
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burtas

Alrighty, so the UA is good. Now I'm curious about the UB and UU. I didn't find anything special about Khazar mints (other than they produced silver coins) from your Wiki link. The Tarkhan seems to be primarily a title for subordinate officers, which does explain your unique unit's bonus, but not an actual military unit per se. (I could be totally wrong about this though, guess I need some more info:crazyeye: )

Some other ideas:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arsiyah
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burtas

Well we could drop Tarkhan and replace with Arsiyah, but i do not know what bonus it will bear

About Burtas - they are just some minor nation, imo Mint is much solid and better...
You want to say that Krepost actually helped russians to purchase lands? As long it is some beneficial effect related to some real existed building, its good. Also makes them kinda commercial trader civ, which will try to get those 3 lux as priority through trade to get extra happiness. Seems fitting and fun mechanics.

Well we could drop Tarkhan and replace with Arsiyah, but i do not know what bonus it will bear

About Burtas - they are just some minor nation, imo Mint is much solid and better...
You want to say that Krepost actually helped russians to purchase lands? As long it is some beneficial effect related to some real existed building, its good. Also makes them kinda commercial trader civ, which will try to get those 3 lux as priority through trade to get extra happiness. Seems fitting and fun mechanics.

I think the Arsiyah could be a horseman replacement. Some sites I've come across state they most probably fought with Turkish tactics, ie lance + bow hit and run tactics. The game currently does not have a unique ranged attack mounted unit that replaces the Horseman. Might work out pretty well since it would upgrade from chariots, thus keeping the chariots promotions, but I'm not sure how you could make it unique from the current mounted uniques (Horse Archer, Camel Archer, and Keshik).

Agreed on the Burtas, but I'm not entirely sold on the mint. Seems rather limited since you are dependent upon specific resources. Also, why salt? Does your mint idea require resources to build or can it be built in any city? If it can be built in any city I would suggest adding a bonus that is not dependent upon silver, gold, or salt.

Some suggestions: (hope I'm not being too annoying since I'm always making suggestions:p).

Khazar mint ideas:
1. Each mined luxury resource within city's radius produces +2:c5gold:.
This mint incorporates all luxury resources that are mined. It's much easier to build this unique since you only need one of five instead of one of two resources within your city radius.
2. +1 local:c5happy: per luxury resource in your trade network. Requires Silver or Gold.
A flip idea. With minted coin, your populace is happier since it has the cash to buy every luxury available within their city.

What do you think?

1. Why Salt? They had local salt mines and Salt Monuments were mentioned in fictional Lexicon Cosri by Milorad Pavich .
2. It could be any mined luxury +2 gold just plain regular +2 happy with free maintenance building
3. Being religious Arsyah could bring some faith with kills like pictish warrirs do thus building up some synergy with hi faith demand later to build both pagodas mosques and cathedrals ... perhaps also minor bonus like movement point, or free cover promotion

1. Why Salt? They had local salt mines and Salt Monuments were mentioned in fictional Lexicon Cosri by Milorad Pavich .
2. It could be any mined luxury +2 gold just plain regular +2 happy with free maintenance building
3. Being religious Arsyah could bring some faith with kills like pictish warrirs do thus building up some synergy with hi faith demand later to build both pagodas mosques and cathedrals ... perhaps also minor bonus like movement point, or free cover promotion

1. Ah, ok. The more you know.

2. Sounds good but perhaps it should keep its maintenance cost just to make sure its not über powerful though its requirement of a mined luxury will help make sure its not buildable in every city.

3. Good ideas! How about:
Arsiyah. Replaces Horseman. Cost 75:c5production:, 150:c5faith:. 8:c5strength:, 15:c5rangedstrength:. 4:c5moves:. Can move after attacking. No defense bonus. May not melee attack. When you defeat an enemy unit receive faith equal to half its :c5strength:. May withdraw before melee.

Basically a horseman replacement with a much weaker combat strength, equal to a warrior, with an exceptional ranged attack (five higher than the chariot archer, one less than the Keshik, six less than the camel archer). Too much? The weak combat strength is balanced with the Arsiyah's ability to withdraw. The faith per kill is to give synergy with the UA.

1. Ah, ok. The more you know.

2. Sounds good but perhaps it should keep its maintenance cost just to make sure its not über powerful though its requirement of a mined luxury will help make sure its not buildable in every city.

3. Good ideas! How about:
Arsiyah. Replaces Horseman. Cost 75:c5production:, 150:c5faith:. 8:c5strength:, 15:c5rangedstrength:. 4:c5moves:. Can move after attacking. No defense bonus. May not melee attack. When you defeat an enemy unit receive faith equal to half its :c5strength:. May withdraw before melee.

Basically a horseman replacement with a much weaker combat strength, equal to a warrior, with an exceptional ranged attack (five higher than the chariot archer, one less than the Keshik, six less than the camel archer). Too much? The weak combat strength is balanced with the Arsiyah's ability to withdraw. The faith per kill is to give synergy with the UA.

1. Salt is more stuff from Khazar legends.
2. Being economical building, Mint lacks maintenance cost as far as I remember, but situational, I just mentioned that it is maintenance-less , which as UU, become less situational, and also providing extra 2 happiness. I think its fine. It’s just like circus.
3. I think its too powerful, very overpowered.….It will be already very powerfull if it will be composite bowman with 4 movement and retreat option…. I think it should be 85:c5production:, 160:c5faith:. 7:c5strength:, 11:c5rangedstrength:. 4:c5moves: , Can move after attacking. No defense bonus. May not melee attack. When you defeat an enemy unit receive faith equal to half its :c5strength:. May withdraw before melee
may be even less... just compare it to CB and think its same era units...

1. Salt is more stuff from Khazar legends.
2. Being economical building, Mint lacks maintenance cost as far as I remember, but situational, I just mentioned that it is maintenance-less , which as UU, become less situational, and also providing extra 2 happiness. I think its fine. It’s just like circus.
3. I think its too powerful, very overpowered.….It will be already very powerfull if it will be composite bowman with 4 movement and retreat option…. I think it should be 85:c5production:, 160:c5faith:. 7:c5strength:, 11:c5rangedstrength:. 4:c5moves: , Can move after attacking. No defense bonus. May not melee attack. When you defeat an enemy unit receive faith equal to half its :c5strength:. May withdraw before melee
may be even less... just compare it to CB and think its same era units...

3. True. I think its a tough UU to balance. I was trying to make it an in-between chariot archers and the medieval uniques. The chariot archer has 6:c5strength:, 10:c5rangedstrength: (plus the rough terrain penalty) for 56:c5production:. The Keshik is 15:c5strength:, 16:c5rangedstrength:, for 120:c5production:. Looking at my idea again, 15:c5rangedstrength: was absolutely silly to suggest.

Arsiyah. Replaces Horseman. Requires horse. Cost 85:c5production:, 170:c5faith:. 8:c5strength:, 11:c5rangedstrength:. 4:c5moves:. Can move after attacking. No defense bonus. May not melee attack. When you defeat an enemy unit receive faith equal to half its :c5strength:. May withdraw before melee.

I think the strength should remain at 8 (or even higher) since ranged attacks (assume average ranged attack of 11 or more in the classic era) would devastate the Arsiyah if it were any less.

Somalian Empire
Leader: Mohammed Abdullah Hassan
Capital: Mogadishu
Ability: Greater Somalia (large defensive bonus for capital city until a civilization gets Flight)
Unique Unit: Dervish (replaces Rifleman)
Unique Unit: Beden (replaces Caraval)

My idea for Tibet:
Tibet
Khri ma lod(she was the empress regent of Tibet who massively expanded the Tibetan Empire and brought it to its Golden Age)
The Tibetan Plateau - All hill tiles receive +1 :c5food: Food. All enemy units within borders suffer -25% :c5strength: Strength when fighting against your units
Lhasa
Unique Unit: Khampa Horseman. Replaces Horseman. Cost 75 :c5production: 4 :c5moves: Movement :c5strength: 10 Strength. +50% :c5strength: Strength when attacking cities,no penalty for attacking cities. Requires Horse.
Unique Building: Gompa, Replaces University. Cost 160 :c5production:. Maintenance 2.
+33% :c5science:. +1 :c5culture: Culture for every Hill and Mountain worked by City. Requires Library. 2 Artists slots. 2 Scientists slots.
Additional info:
Emblem
Spoiler Something like this :

City list
Spoiler City list :

Lhasa
Samdruptse</City>
Gartokh</City>
Gyantse</City>
Golmud</City>
Leh</City>
Jyekundo</City>
Thimphu</City>
Kathmandu</City>
Kashgar</City>
Kyunglung</City>
Bumthang</City>
<City>Qamdo</City>
<City>Khotan</City>
<City>Karghalik</City>
Fuqi
Shanzhou
Dunhuang
Miran
Lou-lan
Lanzhou
Dartsedo
Darlit
Jumla
Karasahr
Turfan
Urumqi
Dharamshala
Jumla
Balasagun
Farghana
Longyu
Kyetenshering
Rutog
Xining
Srinagara
Sittwe
Yangon
Dacca
Arimaddanapura

My idea for Tibet:
Tibet
Khri ma lod(she was the empress regent of Tibet who massively expanded the Tibetan Empire and brought it to its Golden Age)
The Tibetan Plateau - All hill tiles receive +1 :c5food: Food. All enemy units within borders suffer -25% :c5strength: Strength when fighting against your units
Lhasa
Unique Unit: Khampa Horseman. Replaces Horseman. Cost 75 :c5production: 4 :c5moves: Movement :c5strength: 10 Strength. +50% :c5strength: Strength when attacking cities,no penalty for attacking cities. Requires Horse.
Unique Building: Gompa, Replaces University. Cost 160 :c5production:. Maintenance 2.
+33% :c5science:. +1 :c5culture: Culture for every Hill and Mountain worked by City. Requires Library. 2 Artists slots. 2 Scientists slots.
Additional info:
Emblem

City list
Spoiler City list :

Lhasa
Samdruptse</City>
Gartokh</City>
Gyantse</City>
Golmud</City>
Leh</City>
Jyekundo</City>
Thimphu</City>
Kathmandu</City>
Kashgar</City>
Kyunglung</City>
Bumthang</City>
<City>Qamdo</City>
<City>Khotan</City>
<City>Karghalik</City>
Fuqi
Shanzhou
Dunhuang
Miran
Lou-lan
Lanzhou
Dartsedo
Darlit
Jumla
Karasahr
Turfan
Urumqi
Dharamshala
Jumla
Balasagun
Farghana
Longyu
Kyetenshering
Rutog
Xining
Srinagara
Sittwe
Yangon
Dacca
Arimaddanapura

I like this suggestion. Could you explain a bit more about the history behind the UU and the UB? I like how it focuses on the Tibetan Empire, not the Lamaist state that existed in modern times. The Khampa looks too strong, seeing as the Songhai cavalry only gets 15% bonus. The Gompa has too many specialist slots, perhaps just one artist?

Somalian Empire
Leader: Mohammed Abdullah Hassan
Capital: Mogadishu
Ability: Greater Somalia (large defensive bonus for capital city until a civilization gets Flight)
Unique Unit: Dervish (replaces Rifleman)
Unique Unit: Beden (replaces Caraval)

Interesting choice. Could you explain the bonuses the Dervish has? Perhaps it can be purchased with Faith, despite being a Industrial Unit or the follower bonus, whatever its called. Also what bonuses the beden would have. I also think the UA is very weak. Alas I don't know enough about Somali history to give any better suggestions.

I now have even more additional info and changed some things
Tibet
The Tibetan Plateau - All hill and mountain tiles receive +1 :c5food: Food.
Lhasa
Unique Building: Gompa, Replaces University. Cost 160 :c5production:. Maintenance 3.
+33% :c5science:. +1 :c5culture: Culture for every Hill and Mountain worked by City. Requires Library.Adds 5 :c5strength: Strength to the city. 1 Artist slot. 1 Scientist slot.
Additional info:
Emblem

City list
Spoiler City list :

Lhasa
Samdruptse
Gartokh
Gyantse
Golmud
Leh
Jyekundo
Thimphu
Kathmandu
Kashgar
Kyunglung
Bumthang
Qamdo
Khotan
Karghalik
Fuqi
Shanzhou
Dunhuang
Miran
Lou-lan
Lanzhou
Dartsedo
Darlit
Jumla
Karasahr
Turfan
Urumqi
Dharamshala
Jumla
Balasagun
Farghana
Longyu
Kyetenshering
Rutog
Xining
Srinagara
Sittwe
Yangon
Dacca
Arimaddanapura

Language spoken:Tibetan
Music theme:Something like this
Leader scene:Khri ma lod is standing in the throne room of the Potala Palace attended by many servants
Her design could be based on this:
Spoiler Tibetan Empress :

I like this suggestion. Could you explain a bit more about the history behind the UU and the UB?
Gompas are Tibetan fortificated monasteries and centers of learning(that may be understood as a conflation of a fortification, a monastery or nunnery, and a university)
I don't know much about the Khampa,so I borrowed the idea from a mod

Top Bottom