1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ 5: Civilizations/Leaders Wanted!

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Camikaze, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Slvynn

Slvynn Duke Vector fon Pixel

So, summary again:

Khazars

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khazars

UA: Religious Acceptance
    Religions need -33% pressure to convert Khazar citizens, Cities receive follower beliefs benefits from non-dominant religions in in their cities, in addition to regular, Major religion beliefs effects.

UB: Khazar Mint , replaces mint, Provide +2 :c5gold: for any mined luxury tile. Building provides extra +2 :c5happy: .

UU: Arsiyah - Replaces Horseman. Requires horse. Cost 85:c5production:, 170:c5faith:. 8:c5strength:, 11:c5rangedstrength:. 4:c5moves:. Can move after attacking. No defense bonus. May not melee attack. When you defeat an enemy unit receive faith equal to half its :c5strength:. May withdraw before melee.

Color Scheme : *****###*****
    Light Blue background , Dark Brown Logo. (More closer to Dannish brown, but darker... ), May be just Dark Gray color for logo.

2. ShahJahanII

ShahJahanII Homesick Alien

Some creative ideas going on there, which I like. The Khazar Mint is great (though it could use a new name and you might want to lower the :c5happy: to 1). I love the UA, but to make it even more interesting, why don't you change it to -66% pressure needed to convert cities, but you get no founder belief? My main problem is with the Arsiyah. It doesn't make much sense to make a ranged Horsemen replacement when the Chariot Archer is so close on the tech tree. A bit of research tells me they were the backbone of the Khazar army, but I couldn't find anything to suggest they used ranged weapons (other than the fact that they were Arab mercenaries). I might be wrong, but could you post a link anyway? Since they were mercenaries, why not make them more expensive to produce, but available without horses and a LOT cheaper to purchase?

3. Kurtbob

Kurtbob Prince

I had made the suggestion to Slvynn regarding the Arsiyah. I don't have the link from the site where I found the info about Arsiyah's being ranged. The site in question was a war gaming (minatures) site. Those that had posted on the site said that the Arsiyah used Turkish (lance + bows) tactics, not Arab tactics which is why I suggested it be ranged. Considering there is so little information available, just about any idea for them could work.

A cheaper purchase cost could work the mercenary aspect of the Arsiyah quite well.

4. Slvynn

faith per kill is also good feature bc it synergizes with high faith demand for khazars, and also correct because they were religious fighters

5. Kurtbob

Kurtbob Prince

Do you want to keep them ranged? It really doesn't matter. Perhaps it could be a horseman replacement (normal combat value, not ranged) that earns faith when defeating units and is cheaper to buy with gold and faith? Definitely would synergize with your religious UA and commercial UB.

Arsiyah. Replaces Horseman. Requires Horse. 75:c5production:, 150:c5faith:. 12:c5strength:. 4:c5moves:. No defensive terrain bonus. Penalty vs Cities (33). May move after attacking. Earns 50% of opponents :c5strength: as :c5faith: for kills. -33% (-25%,-50%?) Gold and Faith purchase cost.

I guess the strategy for them is to kill enemy units for faith through the use of a massed number of Arsiyah which were cheaply bought. Could also work out as a defensive strategy of buying quickly after being invaded.

6. Slvynn

yep, seems quite balanced
    -33% faith and gold purchase cost

7. Kurtbob

Kurtbob Prince

What's another name you could use besides Khazar Mint? I'm in agreement that it is somewhat bland.

Yarmaq mint? Yarmaqs being the currency produced from the mints.

Radhanite mint -or- Radhanite market; guild; trader; etc. Radhanites being important Jewish merchants that not only established important trade routes between Europe and Asia but were influential in the conversion of the Khazars to Judaism.

These are pretty bland too. Not sure what else there is though...

8. Slvynn

Yarmaq mint - awesome idea, btw russian/slavic word "Yarmarka" = Fair derived from this word, it seems

Radhanite mint - also good, and less bland than many of the game unique buildings, Rhadanites were important part of Khazar trade, it seems :)

9. Slvynn

Logo - Color scheme for Khazars:

Meaning : Letter K/Kh from Old Turkic script, which been used by Khazars

Background changed to more greenish turquoise bright, because Byzantine background is too similar no old proposed light blue.

Attached Files:

10. Slvynn

So, summary again:

Khazars

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khazars

Leader: Khagan Bulan

UA: Religious Acceptance
    Religions need -33% pressure to convert Khazar citizens, Cities receive follower beliefs benefits from non-dominant religions in in their cities, in addition to regular, Major religion beliefs effects.

UB: Yarmaq Mint , replaces mint, Provide +2 :c5gold: for any mined luxury tile. Building provides extra +2 :c5happy: .

UU: Arsiyah - Replaces Horseman. Requires Horse. 75:c5production:, 150:c5faith:. 12:c5strength:. 4:c5moves:. No defensive terrain bonus. Penalty vs Cities (33). May move after attacking. Earns 50% of opponents :c5strength: as :c5faith: for kills. -33% Gold and Faith purchase cost.

11. salty mud

salty mud Ey-up

Why can't we have an Australian Aborigine civilization? We have the Iroquois and so forth.

12. Slvynn

seems they quite covered by Polynesian maori's, or i am wrong?
    Was it civilization? Iroqs despite having lack of written language had many laws and very developed culture, music, folklore
    I am not so similar with Australian aborigens, but perhaps you could bring some information/suggestion for civ?

13. Gucumatz

Gucumatz JS, secretly Rod Serling

Really a bit off but I really like the idea of a UU: Jesuit on page 80!

The problem with a UU like that though would be limited use (Faith cost) and coupled with in multiplayer civs probably wouldn't allow it through for long. I agree with a cheaper faith cost on it - and perhaps if captured - Jesuit gets to still use one "Preach" on one of the aggressor's cities of your choice (Historically relevant - And helps protect it from the human player both in single/multi) That way the culture bonus from conversion wouldn't be ignored

14. El Caballerion

El Caballerion King

I was reading some posts about future-DLC regarding future civs. Some interesting posts, but I think the game should go toward getting enough CIVS to represent as much empty land on earth as possible. For instance, instead of gaining a civ like the HOLY ROMAN EMPIRE (which overlaps lands represented by about 6 in-game civs), the new priority would be for civs like Gran Columbia, Zulu, Australia, etc. That way, every territory can be covered.

Below is a list of my recommended new civs using this princple: As you'll notice there is no Europe or Asia, because they are already well represented on Earth Maps (though on huge maps of ONLY Europe or Asia, there are pockets of countries/tribes missing. That's for another thread lol): What do you guys think?

AFRICA (No sub-saharan civs):
    • Congo- will represent equatorial Africa. A civ with a lot of jungle benefits. Could be represented an ancient kingdom?
    • Uganda- could be a modern civ represented by Idi Amin?
    • Zulus/ South Africa- Could be either a warmonger civ led by Shaka or a modern peaceful civ led by Mandela?
    • Bantu- Could be blanketed to represent subsaraha without preference to nationality?

CENTRAL AMERICA (no representation of the Carribbean island peoples):
    • Cuba- My god, Cuba would be awesome. With Che as it's leader (though I know he wasn't their leader in real life), they could gain additional benefits upon adapting ORDER in the SP tree?
    • Arawaks/Taino?- A tribal civ with no reference to countries?
    • Haiti- Could be interesting with L'overture as leader. Maybe additional happiness from plantations?

SOUTH AMERICA (only incas. No other CIVS)
    • Gran Columbia- could be good with Bolivar as a revolutionary. Maybe they gain additional influence after liberating City States?
    • Brazil- Could also kinda make up for Portugal being missing
    • Argentina/Chile/Peru could be interesting?
    • Amazonia- Another good Jungle Civ?

NORTH AMERICA
    (Only United States and Iroquois represented):
    • Canada- They would geographically cover a lot of land... dunno what their powers would be though... maybe something with Terrance and Philip? :lol:
    • Maybe another Native American tribe? The Apache? The Lakota?

AUSTRALIA
    (no representation besides perhaps the Polynesians):
    • Australia- might be good as a modern civ with benefits to mining?
    • Aborigines- Could be an early CIV with peaceful benefits toward hunting/gathering?

Who would you add or take away from the list?

15. Kwami

Kwami Emperor

Obviously Shaka.

Cuba isn't going to happen for political reasons in the US. If it did, Che would be a poor choice for leader.

I'm not so sure that we can equate Portugal and Brazil just because one is a former colony of the other. :p

I could see another native tribe if it's different enough (maybe one of the more arctic societies?), but why Canada? They're so boring!

I lean more toward natives here, too.

I understand the premise of this thread, but I don't think it's best to ignore some of the largest and/or most influential civilizations just because of overlapping land. The Holy Roman Empire would be a great addition!

16. El Caballerion

El Caballerion King

That's just it! Canada's UA would be called 'We're boring, eh?'. It forces you to play the game in triple-slow marathon speed! lol :crazyeye:

17. Glassmage

Glassmage The Desert Flame

haha Canada really is world #1 for doing nothing.
    Moderator Action: Nation bashing is considered trolling here.

18. Civologist

Civologist Chieftain

New DLC will be created to make firaxis money not fill in the blanks on land masses. I wouldn't buy most of your suggestions. Civil war DLC rumor piqued my interest a lot more than Canada or Cuba. Shaka is an obvious DLC

19. ummd

ummd Chieftain

If doing nothing = not driving your economy off a cliff...

20. Nyanko

Nyanko Prince

... Can't begin to start describing what's wrong with that statement, The Australian Aboriginals are as far from polonesian as a Korean is from a European. There is already a suggestion on the front page for an Australian Aboriginal civ, under the name Koori