1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ 5: Civilizations/Leaders Wanted!

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by Camikaze, Jul 26, 2011.

1. chrissifniotis

chrissifniotis GoogleCiv 2.0.0 coming...

:wallbash: Damn you Sid and your Native American civ! Okay I'll have to rethink this one. Thanks for the help too.

2. Kurtbob

Kurtbob Prince

You could focus on just about any plains Native Americans. The Cheyenne, Comanche, Crow, are some others. If you do focus on the Sioux, I would suggest using Lakota for the civ name.

The UA could focus on the Sun Dance or just spirituality. Most Native Americans of the plains performed a version of the Sun Dance.

Tipis were an important part of plains life. I could see it as a possible UI that increases camp yields or plain yields.

The UU would have to be mounted. I wouldn't use dismount since the plains natives were known as raiders, rarely would they leave their horse to fight. They used smaller ponies which were better on terrain (no movement penalty over terrain), used bows to hit enemies armed with firearms by arching their fire and thereby not revealing themselves (ranged attack with indirect fire), they placed more emphasis on bravery than the kill (culture or faith from defeated units), and they were raiders who loved capturing enemy mounts (receive a free mounted unit when you defeat an enemy mounted unit or pillage a horse resource). Just some ideas.:)

3. chrissifniotis

Thanks, I'll restart my research and take all these into consideration. This'll be a great help.

4. OmniPotent42

OmniPotent42 King

Sorry for asking, but how do you make an official civ proposition with the different text and everything? I'm really sorry if it's super obvious...

5. chrissifniotis

That's okay. When you type a reply and you want to change the font select the 'Fonts' drop down box near the top left corner of the toolbar above the text box. When you do the menu drops down, click the font you like to use. The text box immediately adds the following code, say if I wanted to make my font Century Gothic;
    [\FONT] (Forward slash instead of backslash)
    Put anything between the ][ and it'll come out like this!!!!1!11!111!!!1
    :D

The same goes for the size of the text, the 'Sizes' drop down box is next to the Fonts menu, and it's the same thing with a different tag of course, size 5 =;
    [\SIZE] (Forward slash instead of backslash again)
    And the text seems a bit bigger from here.
    :D

6. Pouakai

Pouakai It belongs in a museum. Moderator

You can also use the [plain][/plain] tags to get the codes showing up ;)

To make one like it appears in the OP, it's this:

[font=Century Gothic][set_anchor=(Civ Name)][size=4](Civ Name)[/size][/set_anchor]
    [size=3]Leader name[/size]
    [i] UA Name[/i]. (UA description).
    [i][u](Capital)[/u][/i]
    Colours - (Color name)- [b] [color=COLOUR A HEXADECIMAL]([/color][color=COLOUR B HEXADECIMAL](([/color][color=COLOUR A HEXADECIMAL]O[/color][color=COLOUR B HEXADECIMAL]))[/color][color=COLOUR A HEXADECIMAL])[/color][/b]
    Unique Unit: (Unique Unit description)
    Unique Component: (Unique Component description) [/font]

7. chrissifniotis

:eek: Didn't know about NOPARSE.^^;

8. awesome

awesome Meme Lord

should probably take the production bonus out of comancheria's ua now.

9. Kurtbob

Kurtbob Prince

I just wanted to throw an idea out there to see if others thought it worth pursuing.

I don't like the current Ottoman UA. I know the Ottomans controlled the North African coast, but the UA just doesn't fit right with me. I would much prefer giving the Ottomans a new UA and creating a new civ with the existing UA: the Berbers.

The Berbers would have Barbary Corsairs as their UA, unchanged. An UB option could be Kasbah; An Islamic Citadel built near harbour mouths. It could replace Castle, Harbor, or the Armory and grant the city it is built in a defense bonus vs naval units. A possible UU would be Numidian Cavalry since Numidia is supposedly one of the first nations of Berbers. It might not tie together well enough to really work, but I'm just fishing for opinions. The uniques from the Morroco idea on page one (Black Guard and Ksar) may also work.

Of course, a new Ottoman UA would need to be thought of too.

10. OmniPotent42

OmniPotent42 King

Thanks, guys!
    Before I do that, I want to make sure that this looks good:

The Republic of Texas
    Leader: Sam Houston
    Colors...shoot. I have no idea. There aren't really any colors that just scream "Texas" to me. I was thinking the banner-circle-thingy could be a single star, sort of like the state flag. Are there any other civs that have a single star?

Unique ability: Remember the Alamo! - Forts and Citadels grant units + 50% :c5strength: and + 50% :c5rangedstrength:. Oil is discovered at Steam Power and Oil Wells/Platforms at Railroad.

Unique building: Saloon, replaces Theater. Grants 1 extra :c5happy: and is maintinence free.
    Unique unit: Frontiersman, replaces musketman (or rifleman? I feel like there are too many musket replacements, but I think it fits the era better) Does not count towards unit maintinence, but promotion is not carried on with upgrades.

I think Texas will be a great militaristic civ, mainly because of the citadel/fort improvement, as well as the lack of maintinence on buildings and units, and early oil detection means you can skip combustion and head right towards Flight and get Great War bombers and such. Any ideas/criticisms? OP? UP? Oh, and I might need help making a flag, too.

11. Kurtbob

Kurtbob Prince

I'm not a huge fan of including Texas (or other short lived states/nations), but this thread is about ideas and having fun with them, so I'll throw in my opinion.

Here is an image of the first flag used by the Republic of Texas. Blue and Yellow. To answer your question, Arizona has a single Copper Star in its flag.
    Spoiler :

Your UA is rather weak since you are revealing oil in the same tier as before (I understand in order to skip the top branch of the tree) yet you can't build wells until a tech tier later than normal (at Railroad) which places Texas at a disadvantage. You should have oil revealed and wells buildable at the same time. The bettering of forts is ok, but I would personally rather see a culture or gold bonus from forts instead.

The saloon is ok, though a bit boring.

The Frontiersman would work well as a Rifleman I think. Maintenance free units are good and all, but you would be terrified of upgrading them and incurring their maintenance cost. Would the strategy be: building a sizeable army of Frontiersman for an offensive, just having an ok army that allows you to bring in gold at the same time, or just skipping the top tier entirely (no upgrading) to hit Flight, Combustion, etc early on?

12. OmniPotent42

OmniPotent42 King

Hmm...I guess you're sort of right about the oil wells...I'll have to change that.
    I guess making the frontiersman a rifleman would be better, too. I am pretty sick of all of the musket units there are. I don't know if letting the promotion carry on is balanced, but then again I guess it would be ok considering you would only be having rifleman/gw infantry/infantry/mech infantry be maintinence free. A culture/gold bonus would be interesting, though. never thought of that. Maybe +2 culture and +3 gold per unit stationed in a citadel or fort?

13. Kurtbob

Kurtbob Prince

Letting the Frontiersman promotion continue could be overpowered....but not if it's only -50% maintenance cost. A hard decision really. Maintenance free units in the Industrial era or -50% maintenance infantry from the Industrial onward.

I think the forts should get a nice bonus but not deminish the use of other improvements. +3 gold for instance it OP because it would replace the Trading Post (though i suppose requiring a unit to be fortified on it would negate some of its value).

Perhaps a mix of your original idea and additional bonuses? Ranged units are +50%:c5rangedstrength: while on a fort and your forts yield +2:c5culture:.

Another thing you could do is give forts one of the Citadel's abilities, such as damaging adjacent units (not nearly as much as the citadel though, perhaps 5-10 hitpoints). Lots of possiblities.

Also, I think Citadels are pretty powerful already, so you may not need to boost them as much or at all.

Hope these ideas helped. :)

14. black213

black213 Emperor

Here's a silly idea I had for an UA for Israel:

Starts the game with a religion founded (you get to pick beliefs at turn 1). May not spread religion with missionaries or great prophets to foreign cities.

Penalty is there to offset the major bonus that is getting a religion on turn 1 and to present the fact that judaism was never really spreaded through the use of missionaries.

15. Nyanko

Nyanko Prince

Since we've covered almost every other civ in existance, I think I might put up another, different twist on an Australian Civ.

Australia
    Leader - Henry Parkes - Henry Parkes is considered the father of the Australian Federation, campaigning heavily for it. While he was never the leader of a united Australia, dying before Federation, he was Premier of New South Wales. He is also very apolitical, while when we mention the other main Australian contenders, Curtin and Menzies, we get into the political argments.
    UA - A Sunburned Country - A title from the classic Australian Poem, My Country
    Farms on plains and deserts produce 1 extra food - this is to represent the competitive advantage that Australia has had on dry land agriculture and agriculture in general, and the importance which agriculture had in the development of the late colonial/early federal australian psyche.
    UU - Anzac - Replaces Great War Infantry, Starts with Amphibious, greater chance to create a Great General and slightly higher strength
    UB - Showgrounds - Replaces Circus, Can be built where there is wheat, horses, sheep or cows. I really really liked this suggestion from the previous Australia suggestion, and it fits in well with the Late Colonial/Early Federation theme.
    Perhaps though
    UB - Cricket Oval - Replaces Stadium Can be built at Industrialization, provides 2 gold at the founding of Mass Media (to represent broadcasting deals). Everyone likes cricket, ne?

16. chrissifniotis

Cool idea. I quite like the idea of an agricultural UA, no such thing in the default civs. Giving the ANZACs Amphibious is another cool idea, but I'm not so sure about faster GG generation or even greater strength. If given the choice I'd go for Showgrounds; the idea needs to be worked on a bit but it seems to represent the country better. That and I not a big fan of the Cricket Ground idea, just seems like more can be added. And yea, I'm not a big fan of cricket either. ^^; But it's all good.

17. Kurtbob

Kurtbob Prince

I understand the logic behind this, but Australia isn't exactly the most populated country/continent on the planet and this UA would most certainly guarantee that Australia would have a substantial population in game. My main crux is the additional food on plains. I shouldn't be so nit-picky since the gamier a UA is the more fun it is, but the UA doesn't sit right with me. Perhaps only deserts receive the farm bonus? Possibly a UI that produces more food on deserts? All improvements on deserts yield +1 food or gold? Don't forget Petra...deserts aren't so useless anymore.

18. Slvynn

Slvynn Duke Vector fon Pixel

more than that this is too OP, +1 food on so common tile, from a START?
    Its more OP than Austria or anything, it gives you solid advantage from first turns of game, so it will be completely broken game
    + agreed, it does not fit RL wise

19. Gucumatz

Gucumatz JS, secretly Rod Serling

On the front page it doesn't have a production bonus in the UA. A production bonus in its unique stable though - is that what you mean?

20. awesome

awesome Meme Lord

Yeah, that one. Either way, the Huns already have a production bonus from stables.