Civ 5 Civopedia Wiki Style

12agnar0k

Emperor
Following on with the online theme of using Steam with ingame browsers and having a mod browser in the game to download mods, all of this is online and community incouraging.

Well here's another suggestion, The ciVopedia could have a Wiki theme, and by this I mean when a user goes to their ciVopedia and looks up the information on say a longswordsman, along with the information about the unit and anything else you guys are including in the civopedia, video / history / art w.e, thier could also be a "Wiki button" you click on to bring up comments on the longswordsman from other game owners who have written one, perhaps this could be utilised to give tips or strategies or to depart your knowledge of history on the unit, or perhaps you just wish to say "I prefered the Maceman in cIV."

Although thier is a problem which is that some people may just use the feature to flame or troll like people do on forums, but perhaps it could include some kind of voting system, so posts which users found useful would get a + vote and posts users dislike will get a - vote, and posts will be displayed by number of votes highest being the highest number of + and the lowest being the highest number of -. Then assuming the majority of players want to use this system for useful purposes the posts shown at the top of the list will be useful ones and not useless spam.

Anyway, anyone have any opinions on the "wiki or forum button on Civopedia object's" Idea.

Just as an aside, there's now such a thing as side-wiki which allows you to make comments about a website. I think it's more along the lines of what you're looking for.

The Civ-pedia info shouldn't be editable by the masses, but from what you're saying, there should be a way to show additional information on the topic, contributed by users, and that's what side-wiki does. (Although, links to forum posts would also do it, but side-wiki is cooler for short bursts of information.)

The downside is that there are likely to be millions of Civ5 players. If even only 1% of them has an opinion on something they want to share, that's an awful lot of wiki entries! You'd have to have some kind of system to filter out the garbage and the useless and the uninteresting.

Look at the forum here: no majority of Civ players comes here to post, but it's one of the busiest forums on the internet! Hundreds of new posts a day!

So as neato as your idea is, if I'm reading it correctly I think it's not going to work unless you can find a way to impose limits without making people feel turned away because of those limits. Once side-wiki catches on, it's going to be a major bone of contention.

okay this is based on his voting idea. Maybe it can be every month the best posts get sent to a specific place and the not so good ones that still make good points stay and the really bad ones with the trolling and the flaming get sent to the trash.

Top Bottom