inthesomeday

Immortan
We have:
Civilizations (mostly stagnant)
Mechanics
Alternate History
History/Eras
Theme

But is five too many? NO!!!!!!! We can never have too many!
So for those who are just coming on or who didn't check the Request thread, I'll briefly explain the general premise here. The current host will put forward a region of the world (big regions please, broader is better than more specific) and either a unit or building. Every submitted design will need to be native to the region proposed, as well as with one of the uniques replacing the proposed unit/building. After a certain period of stagnation in the thread, we do a vote in which everybody posts which design they preferred and explains a little bit about why. After another certain stagnant period, the winner is declared based on the number of votes.

The first proposal, which I will NOT yet be submitting a design for:
All designs for this round must be from Western Europe and have a replacement for the Composite Bow

I wanted to do Wales but couldn't think of a focus. Oh well.

Frankia

Charlemagne
The Holy Roman Emperor

Friendly city-states without an ally will give their ally bonus to Frankia (only the bonus - no resources etc). Every unit killed during a golden age provides a small influence bonus to all city-states.

Francisca Warrior - (replaces Composite Bowman)
Has only 1 range but is much stronger at 10 :c5strength: and 13 :c5rangedstrength:. May choose to melee attack.

Dux - (replaces Great General)
While stationed inside a city's borders, local happiness disregards population and is doubled. During golden ages, provides +50% bonus.

I'll do Wales in your stead, then.
The Kingdom of Wales (Llywelyn the Great)
UA: Goresgynnwr Mawr - Forts built in neutral territory claim their tile for Wales, and all units heal faster in forts. Castles provide +2 :c5culture: culture, and winning battles generates :c5greatperson: points towards Great Bards.

UU: Great Bard - Unlike the Great Writers they replace, Great Bards grant a +5% combat bonus to nearby units in forts/citadels/cities and generates large bursts of :c5culture: culture when any military unit is killed within 4 tiles. If it does this at least 5 times, the great awdl* it produces will grants +2 :c5happy: to the owner.

UU: Gwentish Bowman - While it costs more than the Composite Bowman it replaces, each Gwentish Bowman comes with the Volley promotion. Has 13 :c5rangedstrength: ranged combat strength but only 6 :c5strength: regular strength.
* = Awdls are Welsh poems unique to Great Bards that occupy great writing slots and act as great works of writing. They have no bonus effects unless the Bard that made it fulfilled the criteria to add the happiness onto them.
Spoiler :
The Gwentish Bowman is based on famous Welsh Longbow users from the Southern kingdom of Gwent. Gerald of Wales wrote of their ability to "penetrate an oaken gate four fingers thick" and hit a mounted knight "piercing his armour, his leg, his saddle, then his horse, going so deep it killed it". Strategy-wise, they hit as strong as crossbowmen but have poor defenses, which encourages the use of forts.

Great Bards are based on a rich Welsh tradition of poetry and song. Bringing them to the battlefield will give you an extra bonus and give them tales of courage, adventure, and tragedy to write about in their awdls.

The UA and theme in general is about mixing culture with fortification and warfare. The Welsh built plenty of marvelous castles and fortresses so I tried to capture that idea.

This might work out.

The House of Lancaster
Leader: Margaret of Anjou
UA: The Rightful Royals: For every allied Civilisation you have unit production speed increases by 10% (caps at 40%) and becoming allied with a City-State starts a WLTKD.

UU: Red Archer: Unlike the Composite Bowman it replaces, a Red archer spawns in each of your cities when you become allied to a new Civilisation or City-State and gains a 20% combat bonus against armoured units that are on plains or hills.

UB: Leicester Castle: Unlike the Castle it replaces, the Leicester Castle completes the unit being produced when your city expands if there is a unit being produced.

Oh man, I would enter if it wasn't Western Europe, but I care so lit- wait a minute, does Greenland count as Western Europe?

Absolutely

Noooice! Time to get creative!

The Thule under Qilakitsoq
UA - Hunting of the Bowhead
Unfilled Great Work Slots may be permanently removed for a large burst of Food and Production. Sea Resources are instantly improved in cities founded on Snow or Tundra, and provide +1 Production.

UU - Toggling Harpoon
Cheaper and with a lower Ranged Strength than the Composite Bowman, which it replaces, the Toggling Harpoon may Embark onto Coast immediately and attack from an additional range while Embarked. Additionally, it may be built using Iron in order to gain a permanent increase in combat.

UB - Whalebone House
Unlike the Lighthouse, which it replaces, the Whalebone House is slightly cheaper and unlocked at Sailing. In addition to its usual benefits, it provides +1 Food on Sea Resources for each Snow tile worked (max. +4).

Yes, by regional what is meant is geographic regions rather than historical groupings of cultures.

Balearic Islands - Mago

UA: The Gymnastic Islands: Buildings are finished 25% faster during the Ancient Era. Military units can move immediatly after being purchased and cost no maintenance if you're fighting a common enemy with another civilization.
UU: Balearic Slinger: Replaces Composite Bowman. Ignores movement penalty on hills and immediatly acquires Accuracy promotions upon leveling up.
UB: Talayot: Replaces Monument. +2 Culture. Increases City hit points based on the amount of culture generated.

Well, nobody's posted anything in a few days, I guess it's vote time? I'll go with Mobfire's Wales

It's Mobby's Wales for me. Senshi's Thule came a close second, but it didn't feel right for me.

Doh, I was going to participate in this challenge but then I forgot >.<

Anyhow, since I'm still allowed to vote, I'll go with Dude's Frankia! I like the UA, it seems strong but balanced!

I'm going with Mobfire's Wales. I also like Hoop's design a lot, in fact I was going to vote for it but it came down to one or the other and I decided on Wales because the Bard's so cool. I also really liked Thule. Every design here was great, a lot of good ones.

Does that tie it?

Here are the votes so far!

Wales - 4
Thule - 4
Frankia - 1

The winner seems to be in the hands of Troller.

Top Bottom