1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ 5 digital deluxe coming exclusively to Steam! Steamworks confirmed!

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Tamed, May 6, 2010.

1. eireksten

eireksten Protective/Organized

Then that would be your choice...

You mentioned hard disk space. Steam requires 1.49MB. I hardly find that comparable to a mounted disk image...

2. Tamed

Tamed Warlord

Just a heads up for anyone saying Steam is "spyware" because of the hardware survey, just today they changed their policy so that you actually have to opt-in to the hardware survey yourself, so there's another mark off all the Steam hater's wall. =P

3. need my speed

need my speed Rex Omnium Imperarium

But seeing as you can unmount disk images, that's still more than disk images. Yeah, 1.49MB more or less doesn't matter much, but it still is 1.49MB too much.

4. eireksten

eireksten Protective/Organized

Not if you take into account that if the game wasn't utilizing Steamworks, it could easily require at least 1.49MB more space to provide the same functionality.

5. xenobiotic

xenobiotic Chieftain

Do you really think the cracked game will be less hassle than steam DRM?

Let's look at the hassle involved with steam: you install civ4, installation includes steam. Steam updates, unlocks game. Then adjust steam settings to offline, do not run at windows startup. Now everytime you click civ4 in the start menu it will take an extra few seconds to boot up steam and then you're into civ4.

You are full of :):):):) if you think you are claiming you can get the cracked version running faster. Also how easy do you think it will be to apply patches to your pirated version considering they will only be distributed through steam?

And no, 1.5mb does not matter AT ALL. There are valid arguments against steam, but that is not one of them.

Also you should probably edit out your directions on how to pirate a game before you are reported or a mod sees it.

Moderator Action: Flaming and foul language - warned
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

6. EmpireOfCats

EmpireOfCats Death to Giant Robots

I have the feeling a lot of the anti-Steam ("cold water"?) people here don't really understand what Valve is trying to do with the system. It goes way, way beyond anything that has to do with DRM. The DRM is a sideshow. Steam lets you install and run the games on as many computers as you want without having to drag the stupid DVD along with you anyway. The stuff gets synched in the cloud.

What they are trying to do is create something where they can stay in constant contact with their customers, keep them engaged, and make it as easy as possible for them to find new games to like -- and of course to buy. In short, Valve is trying to get away from the "sell and forget" model and move to constant interaction.

The best example is the new DLC for Left 4 Dead 2. There are the usual new maps, enemies and weapons. But more interesting is that since then, every week they change a certain mode of the game -- the "mutations". They also introduced a weekly poll to help them decide which features should be included or changed (currently Realism Versus) and to help them with solutions to problems (currently rage quitting). Note this (including the DLC itself) is all for free. But it keeps people playing L4D2.

Second, an example of how they make stuff easier: A friend of my plays Empire:Total War religiously and convinced me to try the demo. Guess what, the demo is right there on Steam. Just one click. Buying it would be another click (unfortunately, I suck at the game). Easy for me, easy for them.

Steam reminds me of iTunes in that it makes something that was a PITA -- ask me about updating Civ IV:BTS sometime -- so easy that you don't want to miss it once you have it. I'm happy, they're happy. I honestly fail to see what the fuss is all about.

7. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

Hmm. Maybe what you don't understand is that a lot of people don't WANT to be "synched in the cloud." They don't want constant contact or engaged, or told about new games they might like. They don't want to run anything on multiple computers. Maybe the stuff that goes "way, way beyond" DRM are exactly the things that they don't like.

8. Chalks

Chalks The blue pieces

Yes, it is difficult to understand this point of view since I do not currently have my tin foil hat with me.

Seriously, can you elaborate on why connectivity and convenience is bad? Can you do it in a way that doesn't involve some sort of conspiracy and secret evil intentions?

Moderator Action: Warned - Be nice.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

9. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

Unfortunately thats the direction the PC games market is heading. If the people who like that stuff buy more games than the people who don't then that demographic will be catered to.

10. EmpireOfCats

Thanks for the long post.

Try this link. Valve wants you to be able to play their games offline because of laptop users. Look at the ratio of desktop to laptop sales and you know why. If anything, this will get easier rather than harder. Large parts of the world, like here in Germany, have no free public WiFi for legal reasons.

I understand your worries if you are going to have to live without a constant Internet connection. Unfortunately (or fortunately), that is quickly sort of becoming like living with electricity and running water, so not too many people are going to have to worry about this. Sucks for you, of course. Anyway, this shouldn't be a problem. Buy some silly $5 game from Steam and test if if you are not sure.

Valve has an enormous interest to support any game they ever supported until kingdom come, simply because of the bad press. The day they say "we're going to cut off your access to HalfLife, it's twelve years old, good grief, guys", somebody is going to sue, a lot of people are going to get angry, and customers will start leaving. This is bad for business. My threat assessment is that this danger is pretty small, especially for a top-notch game like Civ V. Valve is in it for the money, not to play power games with their users. That would be Apple :).

If Valve should fold, I believe that even in the USA it would be legal to engineer a solution to get the games running again. Somebody would get that done, just because they are angry.

I shared that at first, but it turns out I use Steam a lot. I have a bunch of friends now I chat with even when we are playing different games; I have used it to download a bunch of demos I would never have taken the time to go hunting down on the Internet and deleted them immediately afterwards with one click; I let Steam handle my updates for me. YMMV, of course.

I had to read this part twice to understand what you were talking about. Defragmentation? Really? Doesn't Windows 7 or whatever the new one is called finally do that by itself? And "AV", that's "anti-virus", right? To be honest, it sounds like you would be a lot happier with a Mac, Steam or no Steam ... these are Microsoft problems, not Steam problems.

True, that is of course an added risk. For me, the ease of getting games to run is well worth it.

In the end, I guess I just don't care that much about a lot of the things that seem to be very important to you. Let's assume that Valve folds, or Steam eats my account, or whatever -- my Civ V is gone. Bad, annoying, but in the end, it's just a game. As much as I enjoy it, as much as the 50 euros would hurt, I could live without it. It's only a game. Somebody, somewhere will come along with Civ VI. My life will go on until then.

When it comes to computers, I'm much more worried about losing my children's baby pictures or the home videos of their snow ball fights. Now that's a real problem.

11. Iceciro

Iceciro Special Ability: Decimate

Maybe YOU don't understand, games are made for the majority. Not for the loud, complaining minority that hasn't or doesn't want to move on with the times, for whatever reason. There's not "a lot" of people who don't want community interaction. There is a "small, vocal minority" which means its NOT good business practice for them to cater to your wants when they directly contradict the wants/desires of other people. Welcome to capitalism, stay a while.

Are you saying you'd rather Firaxis/2k make less money and potentially go out of business, thus preventing them from making any more civ games at all, in order to please your hermit-ways?

I wish people spent as much time complaining about politicians they don't like as they do business decisions of companies.

12. White Elk

White Elk 99 > 1

You (not just you Tamed) do those of us who express our concerns an injustice by terming us Steam hater's. Blanket terms like that hold no helpful meaning, but do serve to add heat to the fire. There's actually thought and even some history behind some of these opinions. I surely don't hate Steam. But I have what I think, to be very solid reasons for deciding not to purchase Civ5 if Steam's internet validation is required. I also have my own reasons for finding no value in the other services that Steam provides. I don't spend as much time gaming as most of you may. And for the most part, the only game I play is Civ. I'm not a fan of instant messaging, and discussion forums fill all my online social networking needs. I don't need stat trackers or achievement displays. And it is extremely unlikely that I'd be purchasing any games. I've looked at what Steam provides and I do see the value for some. But its not for me. I'd have no problem with Steam being an instalation option like gamespy was. But I do have a no sale kind of problem with the requirement of internet validation and the requirement that I must install a third party application which opens a door to my PC.

As to the change of policy.... Perhaps these discussions here, along with the recent public outcry regarding privacy issues with other social networks, along with the increased attention of lawmakers, has provided the final impetus for this change. Perhaps we have a point. In case you haven't noticed, this issue of keeping private info private is on the minds of many millions of people and has attracted the attention of governments. Perhaps there is something your missing if you do not understand why this is.

13. EmpireOfCats

You know, that is probably the most sane thing anybody has said in this thread so far :). Have some virtual rep -- if this forum supports real rep, I can't figure out how.

14. lobosan

lobosan Chieftain

As a consumer, I like competition between digital distributors. An apparently exclusive and mandatory bundling of Civ V does not bother me on a technical level (I like the steam client and service) but bothers me for where it may lead - the PC console!11!! Oh the horror ...
    I am also suspicious of DLCs. They remind me of marketing ploys such as cheep printers and way to expensive ink cartridges.

15. xenobiotic

xenobiotic Chieftain

All those things that you say are useless to you about steam can be shut off/ignored. Install steam, select offline mode, offline friends, do not run at startup. Now the only effect steam has on your civ playing is when you click the civ icon you have to wait an extra few seconds for steam to boot up and you're in the game. If this is intolerable for you then don't buy the game. You'll be the tinfoil-hat-wearing minority that no one cares about.

How can you possibly compare the hardware survey to privacy issues on social networks??? I have never created a facebook account because of privacy concerns, but what do I care if my computer puts another tick in the "steam users with 3 gigs of ram" column of a survey? If that does actually bother you, it is still ridiculous to compare it to the privacy issues of social networking.

16. Sir Ralph

Sir Ralph Dragon slayer

You mean it's equivalent to letting the salesman from the brick and mortar store live in my apartment, so that he can keep constant contact with me, keep me engaged and constantly annoy me with advertisements of new games? Thanks, I needed just that.

Alright I bite and ask you about updating Civ IV:BTS. What made it so hard for you to click the "Check for Updates" button, that you need a third party software to make it easier?

17. Chalks

Chalks The blue pieces

Like that, but without all the reasons why that would be bad or annoying. Yes. Good analogy.

Steam's offers are not annoying or intrusive and the system is incredibly convenient and they offer some astonishingly excellent value special offers. Stuff that is literally too good to refuse.

18. need my speed

need my speed Rex Omnium Imperarium

Here are 5 required characters.

19. Sir Ralph

Sir Ralph Dragon slayer

Good customer! :pat: Valve is pleased!

20. Iceciro

Iceciro Special Ability: Decimate

Patching will require steam to decrypt and instal. There won't be stand alone patches. That's the way Impulse does it. So no, no patches for you.

Also, you're not a real civ fan if you would steal Sid and crew's hard work. You're just a poacher.