1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ 5 expansion and latter games = way less sales

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Stalingrad, Oct 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stalingrad

Stalingrad Chieftain

can you say, told you so? hehehe check out this link peepz http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3181540&p=1

Civilization 5 has delievered a rushed, pile of junk that despite some people's addiction to it, most people are not satisfied (just look through the civ 5 thread since game release). Regardless of it, Firaxis and all the design team is laughing all the way to the bank, i bet they are popping the champagne bottle right about now on how many sales they have accumlated. People, we live in a world where money is the driving force behind everything we do. Including this civ 5, it was either dumbed down intentionally to increase the fan base or it was totally rushed and not completed and unintentionally feels dumbed down for the majority of players.

Regardless of this, I'm not on here to vent, but I just felt I logically wanted to state something should come common sense to most people out there. That is Firaxis with the complete dissapointment to most of its surviving fan base, will cause many of us to go back to our beloved Civ 4, Civ 3 and even Civ 2. We will live off the mods of that game as our "new releases" and enjoy that. Sure I bet some of you think 'well goodbye then.' Well u dang right goodbye, goodbye from civ 5 (at least until they improve with an epic patch that i will NOT hold my breathe for) and yes say hello to civ 4, civ 4 mods, etc. etc. That game is a timeless and i can play it so many different ways and not get bored. Civ 5 was something i looked foward to not just as a purchase of a game, but as something i can relive and replay over and over and not get bored. Civ 5 is a dissapiointment over and over i guarantee you Firaxis has LOST my business if any civ comes out of this design team, and if any expansions come out i guarantee you i wont buy it unless i see perfect scores on every review site thats not being paid off (everyone but ign and gamespot).

Haha and that link i posted at the beginning said everything i need and everyone needs to say Civilizatio nhas FALLEN! oh well i'd slap that 25 year old dude so damn hard who made the game that his 4000 bc ancestors would feel it.

2. ZimbuTheMonkey

ZimbuTheMonkey King

This one review vindicates your position? What about the other 95% of the reviews you don't mention? Also, how does this review and your opinion on the game give any indication on future sales or the game and its expansions/DLC?

I mean, really, this is your market research? Pathetic...

And before you go off on an off-topic rampage on my character and credibility, I agree with much of what is in the review and I think Tom Chick is an awesome reviewer.

EDIT: Do you even own the game? Or do you just like to cherry pick articles that support your opinion and then gloat on internet forums?

3. Stalingrad

Stalingrad Chieftain

you know how easy it is for big companies like 2k to pay off review sites to get credibility for their game before a release? im sure there is more, but i give this guy the guts to point out everything, shoot this guy hit civilization 5 on the nose

4. ZimbuTheMonkey

ZimbuTheMonkey King

Ah, I see.

So:

Reviewers and opinions you disagree with = Not credible, probably written under duress or a bribe
    Reviewers that support your opinion = Always credible

I'll ask again:

1. How does this review give any indication on future sales?
    2. Can you provide any evidence of other reviewers being "paid off"?

EDIT: 3. Also, how do you account for the independent reviewers out there? (noobtoob, TRS, Angryjoe, etc.) that don't receive bribes from 2k? Or do they receive bribes as well?

5. Stalingrad

Stalingrad Chieftain

Zimbu if i had no life and was willing to look up all the reviewers who poste reviews for civ 5 i would, but i am human and you are human and we have other things we have to do with our time, i like posting on here on free time but i and will not research a topic that is proven but the point that a lot of people on this board, on this thread have dissapointment with this game, it is not a 10/10 like civ 4 was or civ 3 or civ 2 this game sux, and if your too stupid to see it then obviously you looking for evidence and statistics blinds you from the not so common common sense.

And no i didnt make that assertion that is merely you trying to paint my opinion into black and white which isnt so much what i said

Common sense if more people are dissapointed in the game there is a good shot in the hole that most people who bought civ 5 vanilla will not spontaneously buy the expansion (civ 4 was so good i bout bts the day after it for example).

Finally get real dude, they are in the business of making money, if review site gives good reviews means more money for the company selling the product. Thus if a product wants more sales, give some money to the big review sites. Im not saying they are all paid off, but do i think some of the mainstream sites were, most definitly yes.

Moderator Action: Please be a little more polite when you respond to others, thanks.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

6. ZimbuTheMonkey

ZimbuTheMonkey King

You didn't make that assertion?

Also, it's not very difficult to check reviews:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/sid-meiers-civilization-v

Just exclude IGN and Gamespot (because they are paid off). You can do the same thing when expansions come out. But since your requirement calls for "perfect scores", I suspect nothing will satisfy you.

You can be disappointed with the game (I am in many respects), you can hate the game and you can say you won't buy any more sequels or expansions. That's all fine, but you people are at a 10 and need to take it down about a 4 or so.

EDIT: I'm talking about stuff like this:

And then ironically you say:

When there is no logic behind your statements, only angry ranting.

Moderator Action: The last line in your post is inappropriate - warned.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

7. milk steak

milk steak Warlord

8. Bill Bisco

Bill Bisco Callous Calling

I agree with the OP

9. Drakken

Drakken Warlord

Sorry Zimbu but I totally agree with the OP and the review. Trust me there is noone who wanted this game to be good more than me. I just hope they can fix it...

Most reviews came out after just a day or two. I would imagine a lot of those reviewers wish they could have that score back. I also wonder how many are still playing this mess of a game.

His review is the only one I have read that described my experience with this game. The new features got me excited but it was tempered with the obvious flaws. After about 4 games and a hundred or so hours, I now know this is going to take major patching. Without some major overhauls it may not even be possible to fix.

10. eoran

eoran Chieftain

Well, the majority of "professional" reviews sucks, but just because were made by noobs who had not played a Civ never.

Before I bought Civ5 I had read several reviews, but in any of them I read about everything that has been removed. They just did like CIV5 was a completely new game without predecessors.

The videogame magazines are overvalued

11. ZimbuTheMonkey

ZimbuTheMonkey King

Did you read my posts at all?

I agree with most of the review, the content of the review has nothing to do with what I talked about in my earlier posts.

12. Venereus

Venereus This Is Streamlined!

This is intended irony, right? 'Cause if it is, it's brilliant. If it isn't, well...:rolleyes:

13. Moss

Moss CFC Scribe Retired Moderator

14. illram

illram Deity

The review is not as doom and gloom as the OP suggests. I kind of agree with the reviewer in many respects. Civ 5 has a lot of great improvements that make going back to Civ 4 hard to do, but at the same time there are a lot of new questionable gameplay decisions that will likely be tweaked, balancing issues, bugs, and necessary interface fixes.

However it seems like more and more gaming companies, for whatever reason, are releasing "beta" level games as a finished product and just updating it as they go. I am not sure if this is because of the evolving market to downloadable content and constant revenue streams, or because marketing departments are becoming more and more dissociated from developers as we see more and more of these goliath gaming companies taking over, such as 2k, EA, Activision, etc.

Civ 5 is going to have many major overhauls over the life of the game if Civ 4 is anything comparable. I mean look at all the major evolutions that occurred in Civ 4--corporations, espionage, siege combat... these were all significant changes (I am probably forgetting others!) that occurred way after release IIRC.

15. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

BTW, certainly, either way, the developers are not laughing all the way to the banks. In fact, they're probably at work not really getting paid, while working on bug fixes. They won't get paid until expansion material gets released or they make another game. However, they will likely have anticipated this and planned their expenses to include this time. I feel plenty of games are worse off in the unplayability department, so they might get free time sooner, but I doubt it's right now.

16. Ignorant Teacher

Ignorant Teacher Emperor

I know I won't be buying any more civ related content unless there's a really warm reception for them in the community. I've been buying civ since civ 3. They've lost a customer.

17. Elucidus

Elucidus King

Civ 5's initial release reminds me a lot of Civ 3's. There are lot of similarities between the two. The way they have been received, the way multiplayer works, a lot. There is still hope they will fix this, with a few patchs, but more likely expansions.

18. OzWiz

OzWiz Chieftain

It IS astonishing that the reviews were (almost) unanimously glowing, while such a large proportion of the player base is disappointed. I have not seen this phenomenon to such a degree before and cannot explain it.

Is it because of the until-now excellent reputation of the Civ series + Civ V looks like Civ and it takes some time for the extent of the deficiencies to become apparent? Were reviewers given demo copies that highlighted the positives? (I doubt this one - just throwing ideas out there)

Whatever the reasons I have never seen the critics, with one voice, disagree with so many players before.

19. baberg

baberg Chieftain

Are you new to gaming? This is always, always the way it works.

Reviewers review the game as dispassionately as they can and analyze the strong and weak points, then give their opinion. Gamers hate change, can't remember most things beyond a few weeks ago, and the few things they do remember are so tinted with nostalgia as to be useless. And the "hardcore" gamers are the worst.

Also, a large proportion of the playerbase is not disappointed. A small and vocal proportion of gamers who go to internet forums dislike the game.

Civ V is a great game.

20. brento1138

brento1138 O' Mighty CivII Warrior

I thought the linked review was one of the better ones I've read so far. As great a game as Civ V is, it is full of flaws. And he's correct that the more you play this game, the more you see the limitations and annoyances it contains. Let's just keep the fingers crossed for appropriate patches.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.