Civ 5 idea or Civ 4 mod idea

amount18

Chieftain
One aspect of the game that is not accurate that could easily be revamped is the fact that only one technology can pursued at one time. In real life governments allocate their research funds to multiple research laboratories that not only compete with each other to make the same breakthrough, but also to research different subjects entirely.

Although if one were to research multiple technologies at one time, say archery and horseback riding, both technologies would take longer to learn, both would be acquired closer together thereby eliminating the wait for the horsearcher (I have not recently looked at the tech tree so this example might not work, but others would.)

With a slider under the research bar the player could gain easy access to this option. I would propose a patch for Civ IV but I am not that computer savvy. If anyone would like to make this patch or mod feel free to as long as I am contacted and it is made available for both Civ IV and Civ IV Warlords.

In CIV you can switch between research paths every couple turns to emulate this.

The thing is, I can't really ever think of a situation where it would be beneficial to intentionally split your research. If you need both archery and horseback riding, you're still better off dedicating 100% of your research to one of them first so you get it's benefits (e.g. the ability to build archers or stables, respectively) while you wait for the other. Your overall wait for horse archers would be the same if you split your research, but you wouldn't be able to use the first while you research the second.

I see and agree with the majority of your point. However, if you were to research multiple religions at the same time, or a tech that would give you a special benefit (such as a free trade route) you would be able to gain a quick religious monopoly and cultural domination. Your thoughts?

You wouldn't in the religion case. Someone would just research one of them first , since you are taking longer.

my idea was just destroyed :nuke: gj:goodjob: I guess that is why I am a Chieftain and you a Warlord.

In fact, it's even worse in a case where you have to be the first one to research a tech (like getting a religion or the free tech from liberalism). If you split your research between, say, Meditation and Polytheism at the beginning of the game, it might take you 20 turns to research both -- meanwhile 2 separate AIs research them independently in 10 or 11 turns each, and you end up with no religion at all. =/

I would like to see you be able to give a percentage of the science to different techs. So you could give a tech %10 of the research if it isn't too important, but you want to get a head start on it etc for your own use.

It would also cut out the micromanagement..

Top Bottom