1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ 5 Leaders look better than in Civ 4?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Mzrokks, Nov 15, 2010.

1. Mzrokks

Mzrokks Rammy VS the World

Do the Civ 5 Leaders look better in Civ 5 than in 4? Example, do they show the leader as you would have expected him/her to look?

A few examples:

Montezuma

Napoleon Bonaparte

Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. boehj

boehj runnin' tings

I really hope Cathy didn't look like that!

3. Morningcalm

Morningcalm Keeper of Records

I do think they look better, but Civ 4's more diverse and varied leaderheads wore out their welcome less quickly--they were more expressive, less pretentious, and didn't repeat the same damned trade request soundbyte over and over again. As it's the most used line by the AI, one wonders why Firaxis didn't have the voice actors at least record 2 versions. But I digress. The leaders in Civ 5 do ultimately look a lot nicer, and are much more atmospheric overall.

4. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

There's really no question Civ V's look way better. The only problem is there's little reason to ever interact with the leaders because diplomacy is so weak right now. Hopefully that will be fixed in the patch.

5. CivCube

CivCube Resist.

Graphics-wise, it's not as big a leap as it would be a few years ago. Both styles are animated well. I think Civ V's style is Firaxis trying to accommodate the fans who complained about Civ IV's cartoony look.

And throwing in a horse for no real reason is always funny.

6. Silvis

Silvis Chieftain

I think they look a ton better personally, but with the way the graphics are... some look more like cartoons than real people. Though it is a cartoon looking game, I still think it looks better than Civ 4. More realism couldn't hurt.

7. Eddogegr3

Eddogegr3 Warlord

The old Genghis looks much more like the Genghis we have come to know than the new one.

Your examples above of Monty and Nap are both very good IMO.

Obviously the Civ 5 leaders look better graphically, but the Civ 4 leaders felt life like to me because they had much more personality than they do now. But I love the direction they went in with Civ 5 leaders and hope they continue to improve on this.

8. Franz Coltrane

Franz Coltrane Chieftain

should be interesting to discuss trade with someone on horseback. The Civ4 gave a better impression of personal meeting to discuss important things.

9. Arsenic Steel

Arsenic Steel Warlord

While slightly less of the caricature style of Civ iv, some of the leaders still feel like muppets to me(Alex). The civ iv LHs are better overall with the only downside being some of the slang used...

10. Walkabout

Walkabout Chieftain

The short answer is yes, they are a step forward. I'm just not so sure it was a step worth taking. The loading time is tedious. The novelty wears off quickly, particularly once you realize there's only a dozen or so different clips for each leader. The informational value -- all that hype about reading body language and facial expressions -- is very limited. And no matter how well done a drawing may be, it's still just a drawing.

Does anybody remember the video clips they used for advisors in Civ II? Lately I've wondered why they didn't do something more like that instead. Dress it up some, of course. Spend a little money on actors, costumes and props. It shouldn't be that hard to do. Something like that could be more immersive. I don't know much about the technicalities, but I suspect it would also require less processing power and less memory, so you could both cut down on the lag time and equip each leader with a greater variety of attitudes.

11. villagereaver

villagereaver Chieftain

I loved getting slapped by Katya or having Gilgy pull me in to threaten me in Civ4. But with the amount of time I have played Civ4 & Civ5, I would turn off all of the leaderheads since all they do is cry about my warmongering.

12. Darth Caesar

Darth Caesar Might be a Wizard

They look better overall.

13. Ktulu

Ktulu Warlord

I'd like to see era specific costumes/backgrounds for the leaders, but I doubt it will ever happen.

I'd also prefer accented english over real spoken languages (users could choose which option they prefer). Real languages were kinda neat at first, but after a while I'd rather be able to understand every leader, rather than a handful. I know some people like the real languages, but I'd like the option to switch to all english.

14. Xen

Xen Magister

I love the civ 5 leader, personally.

15. Supr49er

Supr49er 2011 Thunderfall Cup

I prefer the Civ V Leaders.
    They just need to improve the diplomacy. ;)

16. Guardian_PL

Guardian_PL Emperor

This.

Very cool, and frankly from the amount of tooting about the awesomeness of Civ5 leaderheads I got very disappointed, especially with new Catherine, old Elisabeth was better as well. I miss Izzy and no, I'm not a womanizer! :lol:

17. I_qua_I

I_qua_I Prince

The Civ 5 leaders are much better in my opinion. Although it was easy to get past, the cartoonyness of the Civ 4 leaderheads always slighty bugged me (not to mention the slang.) There are a few things I dislike about some of the leaders in Civ 5 though - Ramesses' feet in particular.:):egypt::)

18. black213

black213 Emperor

His sandals?

19. Skwink

Skwink FRIIIIIIIIIITZ

OMG!!! Graphics from a 5 year old game aren't as good as as brand new ones!!

20. El Caballerion

El Caballerion King

The newer graphics look better but it gets old very quickly and their responses are extremely limited. I kinda want an option where I turn off the CiV leaders during diplomacy, as it sometimes takes 10 seconds to load the leader screen on my computer.

Also, I want them to bring back era clothing from civ III. This was a pretty cool idea, i thought.

Ya know... I kinda wish they didn't spend such a huge budget creating these animated leaders. They should have just drawn images for each leader, and spent more of their budget on fixing the horrific AI!