1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ 5 more popular than Civ 6

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by youngsteve, May 29, 2019.

1. tommytoxen

tommytoxen Warlord

civ 6 looks like a cheap mobile phone game, civ 5 came out in 2010 yet has better graphics than a new civ game, wtf?

also civ 5 has better mods.

civ 5 plays the way i like it to play whereas civ 6 doesn't and likely never will.

also with vox populii civ 5 has smart AI that can actually play.

Tiberiu, plus and Ron West like this.
  2. iammaxhailme

iammaxhailme Emperor

I switch between 5 and 6 every couple of months. I like both. They're different enough that I think both experiences are worthwhile. You can't play them the same way though. In Civ 5 I like to go tall and full-on science and barely fight at all, and I often end up with 3 or 4 cities that have absolutely every building, and 2-3 extras that I made lategame for resources. In civ 6 fighting is more unavoidable and you won't get everything you want, so you have to do a bit more priotiziing.

3. Zuizgond

Zuizgond Prince

AI in Civ 6 is not challenging at all. When it will be moddable, Civ 6 might become interesting to play.

4. JeffreyLXV

JeffreyLXV Chieftain

I picked up the CIV 6 expansions for 70% off … I still dislike it. The game is perhaps beyond repair.

Ron West likes this.
  5. youngsteve

youngsteve Chieftain

I think it will be beyond repair until modders are given the tools to mod the game properly.

6. beetle

beetle Deity

What difficulty do you play each game at?

70% off is tempting, but I got bored with the Switch version and don’t expect the PC version to be hardly any different. Maybe at 90% with the expansions I will try it again on PC.

7. InDubioProReo

InDubioProReo Warlord

I also switch between both. Civ 6 is full of new and interesting stuff, and I havent yet been able to grasp it completely. 1700hrs in 5, 230-ish in 6 :)

8. Elbow_Jobertski

Elbow_Jobertski Chieftain

I can see myself buying the PC version in about seven years. I just tried Acken's minimal balance patch and that will keep me on 5 for another 2K hours or so. Right now 6 won't run on my computer anyway. Then I will barely touch it because I'm getting old and crabby and don't want to deal with a new interface so I'll just go back to 5.

9. beetle

beetle Deity

LOL, that is about my schedule! It must be hard for Firaxis to only hit with only about one out of three releases.

10. Xiomn

Xiomn Chieftain

I bought Civ 5 because of threads like this.. before I bought or played any Civ game I typed into Google civ 5 vs 6 and many people said they like 5 better so here i am.

11. Elbow_Jobertski

The best civ game is almost always the one before the current release. The first several years of a new release are basically a sort of beta test. Which can be fun and interesting but the game is going to kinda stink for a while.

Civ 5 complete is a mature game. Civ 5 out of the box was sort of a joke and a lot of people retreated to 4.

Deckhand likes this.
  12. youngsteve

youngsteve Chieftain

Download the Community Patch Project (Vox Populi). It is like playing a different game & way improved from vanilla. Go to the forums on here.

13. Xiomn

Xiomn Chieftain

I'm already playing it.. playing on prince (when I should be playing on Warlord or even Chieftain!) On my game I'm playing as Albania and I successfully invaded Montenegro, then I regrouped and went to war with North Macedonia but they kept pumping out endless amounts of units, but it was a stalemate because I was defending pretty good. Then croatia declared war on me out of nowhere so now I was getting attacked from east and west, diverted some troops away from my attack on Macedonia because I could afford it with my natural mountain defence meaning they could only really go one or two ways. However, Croatia had infinite amounts of ranged sea units which I was completely unprepared for. I have one city on the sea but had no sea units as I didn't expect to get attacked from the sea. I successfully defended my sea city but lost Montenegro in the struggle as there was just too many of them, the AI attacked akin to how I would attack by just unloaded all units on the city I was shocked. So now I'm right back where I started before I decided to go on a conquest and Montenegro who was originally wiped out of the game is back in it!

14. youngsteve

youngsteve Chieftain

Sounds like you are having fun. Is that a mod you are playing based on the Balkans?

15. Xiomn

Xiomn Chieftain

I've downloaded lots of custom Civilisation mods, and essentially replicated modern Europe as it is today on the Giant Europe YNAEMP map, on epic with 34 Civs, and put everyone;s TSL as their current day equivalents, and limited each Civ to 4 cities (5 if they go authority for the free settler) to prevent mass city spam and so when the AI creates cities they more often than not remain close to their real live equivalents on the map to prevent say Serbia (as an example) creating a city next to Poland or something silly like that.

Prince is definitely too hard for me though, going to try and drop down to chieftain and work my way to warlord if need be. I tried attacking Macedonia again once tensions went down with everyone and after i re-conquered Montenegro, but they've got a set-up where the city i'm trying to conquer is only 4 hexes away from their capital, so they pump out units from both cities and it's too much to handle, plus every single CIV in the game has denounced me and i get constant messages every turn that another CIV is plotting against me.

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  16. Phil Ken Sebben

Phil Ken Sebben Chieftain

I think Civ 5 is still way better than Civ 6. The whole district thing seems cool at first, but it takes up way too much time. I rarely get to explore, wage wars, work toward anything but a diplomatic victory. Also, the unserious, almost comic book tone and style of the game plus awkward choice of most leaders (like Wilhelmina, who was a powerless constitutional monarch who fled the country during World War II) just really doesn't click for me.

The philosophy and target audience seems to have changed radically. You probably get what I'm talking about.

I was sceptical of Civ 5's hexagon style when it first came out, but I've grown to appreciate it lately. War in this game is actually doable and fun. It's a real Civ game to me, now.

Ron West likes this.
  17. Elbow_Jobertski

Leader choice is always going to be wonky and presents all sorts of unavoidable problems that are impossible to navigate in a way that won't invite criticism.

I think the best move would be to abandon the leader concept. These civilizations were not built on the whim or direction of one person. Just have cultural attributes and be done with it. The player / AI in control would just be an abstract guiding hand. Looking at history as a sequence of important individuals is kind of grim anyway.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

They obviously designed 6 with the idea of porting it across devices in mind. Which in a vacuum is a good thing IMO as it could broaden the player base. They were never going to come up with a new game that the more hard core crowd was going to be thrilled with, and they really have little to gain by dumping tons of development into deepening and constantly balancing a game for really strong players when that community will do that themselves, especially when that community has diverse ideas of how to go about that anyway.

Unfortunately they apparently aren't being all that helpful on that front.

Really, for all I know I'd love it. I just don't have a computer that will run it because my laptop doesn't have a graphics card to speak of (I'm not a gamer) and I'm not at this point interested enough in this game to go about changing that. I was when it came out, but that was about the time that the bitcoin miners were running up the graphic card prices so I put it off and lost that "omg!!! new civ!!! energy and decided to just wait out the dev cycle seeing how civ 5 played out. I'll eventually buy 6, but without opening up the code I doubt it will end up like 4 and 5 which are games I will be playing as long as I can use a computer.

18. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

Civ VI absolutely crushes Civilization 5.

Just an all around better game in nearly every aspect and Civ VI’s lifecycle isn’t done yet.

19. beetle

beetle Deity

Granted, I have not been on the VI boards much, but please be encouraged to point me to a thread or outside article that explains why VI is better than V. Yours is the only opinion I have seen that VI is better than V, and I have asked you for specifics before.
    Yeah, I am crossing my fingers about that. I have only tried the base game, but the expansions seems very underwhelming. I am back to V.

I would agree that the V base game was sorely lacking. OTOH, it was pretty radically different, so that spoke to the potential. I did not play V until the patch to first expansion. I was very impressed!

Ron West likes this.
  20. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

You should really add a bit of argumentation in your post.

Try this thread:
    https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/comparing-v-vs-vi.658016/

I don't like civ6, I can see it has well-sought mechanisms, but its too much of a naked board game for my taste, without the "leading an Empire to stand the test of time" or the "just one more turn" feelings.

The diplomatic AI is also horrible in civ6, maybe the worst in the serie, I can't see it becoming better without a full overhaul, and that doesn't seem to be in their plan for the season pass.

And now that they do not plan to release the DLL source for civ6, needed to mod that part of the game, that definitively answer the question for me, a 4x without a decent diplomacy is not worth playing.

The unstacking of cities combined with 1UPT, a very bad and buggy pathfinding, and smaller maps is also a big issue in civ6 IMO, maybe they should raise a lot the minimal distance between cities to compensate.