Civ 5 more popular than Civ 6

Civ VI absolutely crushes Civilization 5.

Just an all around better game in nearly every aspect and Civ VI’s lifecycle isn’t done yet.

The lengths people go to, to prop up a turd. If Civ 6 is so good, why is the player base for previous games so high? Main reason is there are no mods that enhance the games like Vox Populi, which isn't the modders fault but Firaxis.

The lengths people go to, to prop up a turd. If Civ 6 is so good, why is the player base for previous games so high? Main reason is there are no mods that enhance the games like Vox Populi, which isn't the modders fault but Firaxis.

Because cIV is still the best game in the series. D'uh!

Civ VI is still getting new content. If it was such a "turd" why would they bother?

Anyway, the DLL file will be released when all that is done and then the game will reach even further heights in the hands of modders. Be patient. :)

Vox Populi upgraded Civilization 5 from an awful game to a decent one. Still the worst in the series (behind even Civ III) but at least the modders redeemed it somewhat. Props to them.

You should really add a bit of argumentation in your post.
I would even settle for opinion. I find naked assertions annoying.
Try this thread
Thanks! And I appreciate your ability to say what is weak about VI. It definitely does not scratch my builder itch, but I am at a loss to articulate the defects.
Civ VI is still getting new content. If it was such a "turd" why would they bother?
Because there are plenty of casual gamers for them to sell to. Firaxis bothers because it is profitable.
Anyway, the DLL file will be released when all that is done…
Citation please? I would love to have a reason to believe that this assertion is more than a rumor!

And could you give a couple specific examples of things you like better about VI over V?

I would even settle for opinion. I find naked assertions annoying.

Thanks! And I appreciate your ability to say what is weak about VI. It definitely does not scratch my builder itch, but I am at a loss to articulate the defects.

Because there are plenty of casual gamers for them to sell to. Firaxis bothers because it is profitable.

Citation please? I would love to have a reason to believe that this assertion is more than a rumor!

And could you give a couple specific examples of things you like better about VI over V?

I like that terrain matters more. Cities aren't just resource depots.

I like that Civ VI doesn't promote this false tall versus wide philosophy.

I like the governmental system with policy cards more.

Basically, Sid says that Civilization is "A series of interesting decisions. " I get that sense with Civ VI but not so much with Civilization 5.

cIV is the best game in the series. Civ VI is much closer to the best game of the series.

There is lots more, of course. Anyway, thank you for your polite question.

Played all Civs since 4 (and some of 3). I think VI is the best among the ones I've played.

Maybe stop moaning so much? The lengths that people go to to feel reassured in their opinions...

The "I like A more than B therefore anybody who prefers B is wrong" is both silly and childish.

Edit: I just realised this is Civ V's sub-forum. Must have entered here by accident.

Played all Civs since 4 (and some of 3). I think VI is the best among the ones I've played.

Maybe stop moaning so much? The lengths that people go to to feel reassured in their opinions...

The "I like A more than B therefore anybody who prefers B is wrong" is both silly and childish.

Edit: I just realised this is Civ V's sub-forum. Must have entered here by accident.

I started playing Civ the same month that Civ I was released. Put countless hours into Civ, AC, Colonization and all the spinoffs.

Civ is definitely heading in the right direction again after that blip in the radar of the first half of the 2010s.

I started playing Civ the same month that Civ I was released. Put countless hours into Civ, AC, Colonization and all the spinoffs.

Civ is definitely heading in the right direction again after that blip in the radar of the first half of the 2010s.

I really enjoyed how the world changed depending on the level of terraforming (sea rise, fungus, etc) in Alpha Centuri and I'm glad to see it in Civ VI. The update next week is bringing Forest Fires to the game.

I really enjoyed how the world changed depending on the level of terraforming (sea rise, fungus, etc) in Alpha Centuri and I'm glad to see it in Civ VI. The update next week is bringing Forest Fires to the game.

Forest Fires should be interesting. Terrain matters in Civ VI. Unlike cities being essentially resource/luxuries depots in 5.

Natural disasters are more like cIV. Hoping for random events at some point to really spice things up. :)

I played IV for years and years as just some guy who had discovered the Civ games. I’m not what you’d call a gamer. Former military intel, prepper, survivalist, shooter, outdoorsman, etc.

BUT... I love history. Found Civ IV and got hooked. Then at some point I looked deeper into the games and after V was released I learned that IV was extremely popular and the community considered it a great game. It wasn’t just me.

So after years on IV I discovered that VI had come out. Did some research and found that for now, VI isn’t quite up to level of V. So I bought V and will play it into the ground like I did IV.

It is a reasonable progression to explore 5 first, especially until the development cycle for 6 is over.

It is wonderful to be somewhat behind the times when it comes to games. You get to let everyone else wade through the balancing, DLCs and expansions so by the time you get to it the game is finished and usually can be had for one price. Plus not as many worries about having the hardware.

That said, I'm not sure anyone who loved 4 wasn't disappointed by 5 to at least some degree. For me it is how it inorganically hampers expansion so that it is inadvisable if not impossible to build a really great empire.

Anyone in this thread that seriously believes 6 is great, I'd encourage you to try Civ 5 VP mod. (Vox Populi). Also I still can't wrap my brain around supposed Civ 4 fans that hate 5 yet love 6. 6's AI poses absolutely no threat to the player. I mean sure I get to "go wide" but who cares if the AI can't even fight back at all. I would figure Civ 4 fans would actually appreciate the threat imposed by the AI and would not like 6 for it. Anywho after playing VP for a few years it's hard for me to go back to 6. With the current statement on the 6 team towards modding tools I have a feeling 6 will never get its own version of VP (and maybe it would be good then!).

6's AI poses absolutely no threat to the player.
Are people playing 6 at Deity and having no challenge? I got shut down at Emperor (vanilla) but stopped playing it mostly just because it was so boring. I had no motivation to get better. That did not happen for me with II / III and even IV – but with IV, I hit a hard ceiling pretty quickly (also around Emperor, IIRC). These forums, mostly GotM, kept IV interesting for me though. I never really got bored, it is just that after the first expansion to V, V was much more interesting to me. I don’t think I am that hard to kept entertained, so it is a mystery to me why I can’t seem to enjoy VI.

Please, can someone make the case that the VI expansion(s) transform the game to the same extent that God and Kings changed V?

I played a few vanilla Civilization 6 games and felt it was boring. Too many things to do each turn with a growing number of cities... building workers again and again, placing districts with weird limitations, placing wonders on the map, technology and civics trees, etc. I found the game was tedious with far too much micromanagement. The game asked me to make an increasing number of small decisions with little consequences by themselves.
Last month, thanks to a sale, I bought all the DLCs and started a new game. The two expansions add a lot of things atop a base that already has too many features for my taste. Some of the things are interesting but I felt overwhelmed by the increasing number of decisions and things to manage as the game was progressing.

As far as I am concerned, Civilization 6 does not suit me from the beginning. What I don't like in this game are features that are present since the start. No expansion can save this game for me because the features I don't like are core features (districts, workers, double "technology" tree, micromanagement...). You should think about what is bothering you with vanilla Civilization 6, if these are core features, there are a lot of chances you will be disappointed with the Civilization 6 DLCs.

I thus keep to Civilization 5 with Vox Populi (patch only) which is IMO the perfect balance between macro and micromanagement.

Thanks @Auberon, I think you have really nailed it. With V, just about every turn I feel like I am making meaningful choices. With VI, I was just trying to get through games to try and convince myself that maybe I was not giving it a fair chance. From what I could see of the expansion, they seem like just more minutia and not whole new elements of play.

You are welcome @beetle. The expansions actually add new features (I have not played enough Civilization 6 to list them accurately) but each one of them also add a new layer of minutia atop a game that has already too many features for my taste. There are interesting and innovative mechanisms in Civilization 6 but they are buried under tons and tons of fluff I am not interested in.

And you are correct IMO. The big difference between Civ 5 and Civ 6 lies in the decisions you have to make. They are fewer and more meaningful in Civ 5 whereas this is the cumulative myriad decisions you make in Civ 6 that become meaningful. I prefer the former.

Last edited:
EpicGames.com is giving away VI for next 24 hours or so. I will give give it another try.

Edit: Nope, sad to say, EpicGame version of VI is not Macintosh compatible.

Last edited:
V was easier, more immersive, and grander, with civs that were one-trick ponies, albeit some standouts (Venice, Shoshone, Hawaii, etc.), and more dynamic music. VI has more complex civ bonuses and fewer one trick-ponies (some exceptions like Macedon and Korea), but many civ bonuses are just minor production bonuses in niche situations, has a blue plastic UI and icon aesthetic, has a main menu that barely changed throughout expansions, has dark smudgy leader backgrounds, has poorly explained rules, way too many bonus bucket mechanics, and music that isn’t dynamic (you often just hear the Atomic theme of other civs in the modern age on repeat), but I do like Civ VI’s attempt to make natural disasters important, and their incorporation of diplomatic and religious victory types (even if both are flawed).

While I appreciate what VI was trying to do, I have over twice as many hours logged with V, and VI has had an overall longer span of play time for me given the recent New Frontier Pass. Something about the adjacency bonuses of districts just doesn’t click with me, and the poorly explained rules don’t help.

Also, Civ V leader screens were just infinitely better than VI’s, despite some great animation on VI leaders. It’s partly because VI leaders rely on cutscenes rather than real-time interaction, don’t have dynamic war and peace music, and have fewer (just 7) lines per leader. In future I think it would be nice if leaders had at least two versions of each line, for more realistic and less robotic conversation.

Top Bottom