1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ 5 strategy and tips

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by crimzonflare, Apr 18, 2011.

1. crimzonflare

crimzonflare Chieftain

I'm posting this for tips on Civ 5. I have been reading the forums on here and see that a lot of people are able to play on much harder modes than I. I can beat the game on king, however it seems exceedingly more difficult than others suggest it should be. So for this thread, can people please lay out basic strategies for the game? I'm talking strategies like the NC city. This strategy has helped me out. I'm not new to civ, but I seem to be missing something in civ 5.

2. manu-fan

manu-fan Emperor

Your post might have a better chance in the 'Civ 5 Strategy and Tips' forum, as it seems to be related to Civ 5 Strategy and Tips :)

Cheers.

3. Civ4Brains

Civ4Brains imperfectus

this explains NC start: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=414213

ermm, as to the rest, well if u want to read about the kind of strategies that win above king then read anything posted in the section entitled: Civ5 - Strategy and Tips... the one you are currently in?

4. Horizons

Horizons Needing fed again!

The strategy changes dramatically with each patch. Patches come out so frequently that it's impossible to finish an epic-turn game before the next one comes out and changes the strategy yet again. This is of course if you are in employment and not a 'hardcore gamer'.

5. jojorah

jojorah Prince

Really this will be moved by mods any second now cuase we have a whole forum by the same name. Welcome to the forums

6. Magic_gorter

Magic_gorter Moderator Moderator Civ2 GOTM Staff

Moderator Action: Merged threads

7. slobberinbear

slobberinbear Ursine Skald

The best way to learn is to post your game for us to see and comment. Start a game, attach the save, throw in some screenies.

There are generally three early starts:

1. the National College start, focused on one city and (usually) the Tradition tree. You build a granary, library, and National College all right away in your capital along with Tradition + Legalism + Landed Elite, and end up with 30 beakers/turn or so very early in the game. Alternatively, you can do this with Liberty + Citizenship + Meritocracy and give up some culture and food for more worked tiles and an early free wonder/tech.

You then expand or war as necessary with your strong capital and science base. This is considered a "vertical" start. It can also be combined with a wonder- and/or culture-focused approach.

2. the Rapid Expansion start, all about the land grab and the Liberty tree. You take Liberty + Collective Rule + Citizenship, cranking out settlers and workers and military and settling all the happiness resources you can see as fast as possible. You stop when you run out of land or happiness. This is considered a "horizontal" start.

3. the warrior/sword rush start, centered on taking out an AI foe very quickly, possibly with Honor or Tradition + Honor. You build a force of warriors and sell your resources to the AI, generating a pile of cash. Depending on your difficulty level and map situation, you either rush with your warriors or learn Iron Working quickly, settle it, and use your cash to upgrade your warrior posse. This works best for civs with a military leader trait or early unique unit.

Once you have taken out an AI civ, you usually end up with a premium city and lots of room to expand.

These are the basic openings under the current patch. They are map- and civ-dependent.

Good luck.

8. Civ4Brains

Civ4Brains imperfectus

pretty good breakdown. :goodjob:

9. vixafox

vixafox Warlord

For a solid guide to winning strategies at the higher levels of difficulty I suggest that you should spend time watching some of the "Let's Play Civilization V" videos on You Tube. The guys there are very good at the game and explain what they are doing (and why) at every stage.

I have learnt a lot from these and I now play at Emperor level.

Bibor has posted a list of such games in the Civ5 Strategy and Tips Forum.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=412109

10. bryanw1995

bryanw1995 Emperor

2 and 3 have been the absolute best strategies since the very beginning. #1 has recently become extremely valuable, especially when combined with #3 to get to longswords very early. After the most recent patch 1+3 is often better than 2, but it requires more effort/practice and can get you in trouble if you do something like, say, slow-build your library and stonehenge on a hammer-poor start before getting around to your NC.