CIV 5 the worst letdown in PC gaming, ever.

hussar

Chieftain
I have played half a dozen games of Civ V and not even sure where to start, I guess being fair with the good stuff.

CIV V good stuff
hex grid is better, combat is better, city states are a nice little addition, yea Ive run out already. three small good ideas, sorry Firaxis your game cant subsist on the back of that.

Civ V problems
I seriously wont have a big enough word count. I cant imagine a greater amount of poor business decisions.
dumbed down... umm why?
no religion.. to appease the lefties.
Poor AI... every game is exactly the same, so there is little to no replayability. Steam is as unstable as the leaning tower of Pizza and just a completely terribad platform, it constantly crashes and now my version will not run at all. I seriously cant even play the game now.
the damn opening FMV cant be skipped for some :):):):)ing reason, I want to smash the face of the old man in the tent so much.
So in lieu of smarter AI and politics they opted for a kiddy version of the game with a sprussed up combat system, which says to me they want the kids market, which I hope for their sake they have grabbed because ALL of my friends are seething at how poor this game is.
the only changes to the CIV 4 were a few aesthetic ones ( hex grids) but primarily were for the worse.
And now I read they havehired Kael, which means no fall from heaven Civ 5 version. I can't imagine how firaxis could make a worse decision than taking away the chance to have good mods written.

Sorry firaxis, i seriously hope you read this so I can send you a big old cheesy :):):):) you. I will never buy your :):):):) again, pack of :):):):) bags.

Moderator Action: Please do not use foul language - warned
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

the damn opening FMV cant be skipped for some :):):):)ing reason, I want to smash the face of the old man in the tent so much.
The intro movie doubles as a load screen, it can be skipped but you need to watch a short part of the beginning or you can turn it off and have a black screen for a short time.

As bad and disappointing as ciV is, I can't really agree with it being the worst.

I think Outpost or MOO3 would be have to be the worst letdowns of all time for PC games.

Moderator Action: Your signature is too large, please adjust it
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

The intro movie doubles as a load screen, it can be skipped but you need to watch a short part of the beginning or you can turn it off and have a black screen for a short time.

yea I did that, changed the zero to a one, but it made my game crash so had to change it back

As bad and disappointing as ciV is, I can't really agree with it being the worst.

I think Outpost or MOO3 would be have to be the worst letdowns of all time for PC games.

no idea what Moo3 or outpost are, so your arguement is invalid. CIV 5 winner, of worst letdown in PC gaming history

no idea what Moo3 or outpost are, so your arguement is invalid. CIV 5 winner, of worst letdown in PC gaming history

Fair enough. I suppose everyone may have a different answer to what the worst letdown in PC gaming history is.

Master of Orion II (MOO2) was such a great game along with MOO that everyone assumed MOO3 was going to be incredible. There was a huge amount of hype and buildup and then it was a total dud of a game. It totally killed the franchise.

Master of Orion II (MOO2) was such a great game along with MOO that everyone assumed MOO3 was going to be incredible. There was a huge amount of hype and buildup and then it was a total dud of a game. It totally killed the franchise.[/QUOTE]

As is Civ 5 to the civ franchise, it felt less like a civ game and more like a cheap total war or rise of nations, that had been cobbled together by russian students in their morning tea breaks.

Erm, Firaxis did not hire Kael; Stardock did.

Edit: Also, I beg to differ. MOO3 actually was a great game if you were like me and disliked micromanagement.

Erm, Firaxis did not hire Kael; Stardock did.

either way, the saving grace for us was that there would be a fall from heaven for civ 5, which now there wont be. :mad: Unless of course Kael is a complete coding addict, finishing up a day of coding by snuggling up to do some mod coding, on a similar project, doesnt seem likely

Ah, to be young and never have tasted that bitterness. My wife still talks about how bad Moo3 was, and she was just looking over my shoulder ... I'm not happy with Civ V, but it doesn't even come close to being that bad.

Ah, to be young and never have tasted that bitterness. My wife still talks about how bad Moo3 was, and she was just looking over my shoulder ... I'm not happy with Civ V, but it doesn't even come close to being that bad.

naw, im 36 so not a spring chicken, seen me plenty of dissapointing games. I just cannot figure out why they would take out the diplomacy of a diplomatic game and replace it with a combat system.

no idea what Moo3 or outpost are, so your arguement is invalid.

If you have no idea what MOO3 or Outpost were then you have no business talking about the worst or best anything in PC gaming history.

Along with MOO3 and Outpost I would include Ultima IX: Ascension. What a terribly ignoble end to possibly the greatest franchise in gaming history. Daikatana gets an honorable mention not because we had high hopes for it but simply to poke John Romero in the eye a few more times. And Battlecruiser 3000AD just because Derek Smart is such a clown.

Oh, Elemental might end up on the list but a bad stand alone game just doesn't have the same knife-in-the-gut feeling as a terrible game which betrays a franchise like MOO3 or Ultima IX.

Master of Orion II (MOO2) was such a great game along with MOO that everyone assumed MOO3 was going to be incredible. There was a huge amount of hype and buildup and then it was a total dud of a game. It totally killed the franchise.

As is Civ 5 to the civ franchise, it felt less like a civ game and more like a cheap total war or rise of nations, that had been cobbled together by russian students in their morning tea breaks.[/QUOTE]

Rise of Nations was an awesome game. Brian Reynolds did a great job.

Brian Reynolds also designed Civ II and SMAC, one of the greatest computer games of all time.

It's a shame he or Soren Johnson didn't design ciV. :(

If you have no idea what MOO3 or Outpost were then you have no business talking about the worst or best anything in PC gaming history.

Along with MOO3 and Outpost I would include Ultima IX: Ascension. What a terribly ignoble end to possibly the greatest franchise in gaming history. Daikatana gets an honorable mention not because we had high hopes for it but simply to poke John Romero in the eye a few more times. And Battlecruiser 3000AD just because Derek Smart is such a clown.

not having played Moo doesnt mean i have no opinion, and sorry GOD you have no right to tell me that I cant have my opinion because it doesnt coinside with your own deitific entreties. wake up to yourself noob.

Moderator Action: Flaming/Trolling - warned

Rise of Nations was an awesome game. Brian Reynolds did a great job.

Brian Reynolds also designed Civ II and SMAC, one of the greatest computer games of all time.:(

I agree with this; rise of nations was a good game and Civ 2 was probably the best eva. My main point here is that what 5 years have passed since Civ 4 and a lot of amazing new titles have come out, so when I hear a new Civ is coming out I think Im in for many a late night. To produce a game that is little more than a small mod, to Civ 4 is not an acceptable release from firaxis. Firaxis pulled this :):):):) before, anyone remember installing civ 4 warlords and after one game thinking wtf, i just paid for that..??

Moderator Action: and watch your language

I had a nightmare that bad games were chasing me around and that I couldn't get away; luckily I woke up and realized that all my bad games are shelved collecting dust and that I don't buy from those companies anymore. Then I felt relieved and could go back to sleep.

agreed, after not even being able to play civ 5 because of the low quality the game packed it in and I cant play it if I want to, so its on my shelf, i wont be reinstalling it unless they produce one :):):):)ing amazing patch. My hope was that firaxis would read this, but I feel they owe us their long running fan base an appology for scamming our money out of us.

Moderator Action: reenabled the autocensor - do not try to beat it, refrain from foul language instead.

not having played Moo doesnt mean i have no opinion,

No, but it does mean that your opinion is less informed than that of others and doesn't warrant as much weight.

Seriously, all opinions are not equal and not all opinions are well-formed or valid.

(As for "worst letdow in PC gaming," I have to go for the upcoming XCOM game -- despite it not even having been released. A first-person shooter also released on the Xbox? Really, 2K? Have you truly no shame at all?)

For all the faults of Civ 5, I have to agree that Moo3 was far worse and much more of a disappointment. After all, with a little patching and some modding, Civ 5 can be a really good game. The same was not possible at all with Moo3 (and I tried out some of the best mods for it years later).

I have to go for the upcoming XCOM game -- despite it not even having been released. A first-person shooter also released on the Xbox? Really, 2K? Have you truly no shame at all?)

This doesn't count to me because it's not an XCOM game. I don't care what they say, it isn't an XCOM game. Thus, it cannot fail to live up to our expectations; we know it will be garbage already.

But I'll agree that the XCOM sequels were pretty bad. Going to real-time? Really? I know, let's make a sequel to Chess and make it real time! Or real-time Axis&Allies! That'll work!

Fun Factoid: Most people never played XCOM on anything but the easiest difficulty level. There was a bug that set the game to the easiest difficulty no matter what you selected. And it was not fixed until much later than you'd think and back then patching wasn't as common so most people wouldn't even know to patch anyway.

Einstein: e=mc^2

hussar: No idea what e or mc^2 are, so your argument is invalid.

:lol::lol::lol:

Top Bottom