1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

CIV 5 the worst letdown in PC gaming, ever.

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by hussar, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Jharii

Jharii King

Nope. A good number of people are enjoying Civ5 already.

2. Iranon

Iranon Deity Whipping Boy

I certainly had high hopes for CiV, and I was certainly disappointed... but I haven't given up hope entirely. And even if this was it with no further work on the game, it would be far from the worst letdown in history.

As for many others, the worst letdown for me was Spore. I was hoping for it to be brilliant and experimental, something so pushing the boundaries of games that I figured I wouldn't care if it wasn't actually playable as one.
    Then I got to play it... and then I got to read the story behind the unexpected changes... and then I think I started sucking my thumb and rocking back and forth until the nausea passed.

Seeing a beloved series take a questionable turn, seeing something promising and clever released in a very rough state or to see something streamlined until they lose character are all annoying enough.
    However, I can't think of another game that gave me the impression that something wonderful and special had been defiled in the most vile and callous manner imaginable. That it actually received praise and awards made it worse.

3. C~G

C~G Untouchable

Imagine that. It's hard for me. ;)

But of course I meant that people who feel about Civ V in same way as they did/would have about HoMM IV.

4. Olaf_The_Great

Olaf_The_Great Omnicidal Oligarch

I think Fallout:Brotherhood of Steel and Fallout 3 being canceled and then resurrected into an action FPS several years later was a bigger let down.

And Civ Rev was just a slap in the face.

5. Jimbo30

Jimbo30 Prince

I'm gonna assume the OP is 18 and never played the absolute abortion that was Master of Orion 3.

That was and always will be the worst letdown in PC gaming, ever. Don't even try to argue.

edit - having read some more, I see that the large majority of people agree anyway. :D God what a pig of a game that was.

6. Mondas

Mondas Warlord

Overall, this game bites. Someone blundered badly on this one.

7. mrhell

mrhell Chieftain

A lot of people pay to hear Sarah Palin speak. Doesn't make her an intelligent person.

8. Minmaster

Minmaster Prince

it's not the worst letdown in PC gaming history, but it probably is the worst let down i've been a part of.

9. tifa9292

tifa9292 Chieftain

damn it im late to the civ V hate party again

when civ iV came out, i was late to that hate party as well..............

oh well, dibs on the first "civ VI sucks" post when it comes out

10. Mark the Bold

Mark the Bold Warlord

I have been playing video games for a long time, and for someone to say that Civ V is the same category of MOO3 is delusional, bordering on insane. Ok, so the AI can't handle your horseman rush at the beginning? How many people, good human players, can handle that? I have little sympathy for Top 10 ladder players yawning their protest that there is no challenge to this game. No game developer can create an AI that will match pros like you. Ever. If they did, they wouldn't sell any games because all the casual gamers would get crushed in the first 50 turns. Some people just aren't as smart as you. You are awesome. Get over it. Maybe if you spent half the time scouring the game for dirty & cheezy exploits and writing "Civ 5 is the worst game ever LOL" threads you might actually try playing Civ instead of "Civ - Starcraft".

God forbid, maybe the purpose of Civ 5 isn't to kill off everything in the first 100 turns. Or take all their gold with diplomacy exploits. Maybe some people just like to build empires and build buildings / wonders and listen to awesome Civ 5 music while doing it. And occasionally go to war with impertinent neighbors, but stopping short of totally annihilating the Civ. Just burning to the ground a few cities. You know playing Civ. I guess I missed the meeting where having fun with a game is WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN WIN NOW AND AT ALL COSTS!!!

And despite the fact that you spent a whopping $50 (maybe $60) on this game, doesn't mean you have the right to insult everybody who works at 2k games / Firaxis with the type of insults I've seen on this forum (i.e., wishing Firaxis /2kgames should go our of business, fire people, etc.). I'm being general here. I'n not saying the OP said this but spend just 10 minutes looking at the ridiculously self-sustaining negativity on this forum and you'll see what I mean.

Bottom line, 2kgames/Firaxis/Sid Meier tried their best and failed you. So don't buy another 2kgames/Firaxis/Sid Meier product again. Its called capitalism. Go play Starcraft. Or better yet, team up with a bunch of Civ knowitalls on this forum and make your own super-duper awesome game. Call it "Horseman-Stack-of-Doom-Rush-Craft: Kill Everything that Moves in under 100 turns! " and then see how much you sell. Better yet, then deal with the forums that spring up from people who like your game and feel they own you and your business from there on.

Furthermore, I am amazed that nobody has said anything negative about Sid Meier. I mean people are like "LOL SId Meier doesn't do any programming anymore". Ok. But his name is plastered on the box. They are using his name to sell this, according to you, inferior product. Why not start yet another negative thread "SId Meier is a $@#$-tard" thread!" That will go to 30 pages easy! What are you waiting for!

I've had more than my money's worth of this game. Heck, the soundtrack alone is worth $50.

11. KahunaGod

KahunaGod Warlord

Yes, I waited soooooooooooo long for MOO3. It hurt. Just about as bad as this.

12. ezwip

ezwip Prince

The only thing this game has done for me is reinforce how much I love BTS.

13. Jharii

Jharii King

Yeah, sorry I misunderstood. I guess I should not take your use of the word "everyone" to literally mean everyone. That's the inherent flaws of exaggerating while trying to prove a point.

14. Guardian_PL

Guardian_PL Emperor

@Marc The Bold
    If you really think that problem with Civ5 boils down to Horseman Rush and early conquest wipeout then I suggest you to read some more of this forum, because that's just a tip of an iceberg called "Fail" that has "Civ5" slapped on it. Is it "Fail"? Or "Boredom"? I'm not sure which fits best, there's some murky waters here...

15. kooboo

kooboo Lurker

I like that. I despise exploiting game breaking bugs and poor designs just to win. I never cared about score or (more lately) achievement(s) (points).
    I really like to build empires and build buildings but unfortunately Civ5 does not deliver on this field. Buildings are very generic. Not to mention Wonders. Except Cultural (boredom) Victory you don't need them at all. Some will help, but most are pretty much skippable. I'm pretty sure the game is playable with Colosseums only. Pleasure of waiting for a specific building is taken off by buildings giving something close to nothing (how can you call Granary or Watermill).

No - they didn't do their best. This is why they failed us. This is why players feel cheated. Because they gave simplistic, very badly designed, not optimized product. There are so many issues I won't start counting them, especially those boards seen many of them. What I think about 2kgames/Firaxis/SidMeier is that they harvested easy money of their faithful customers - who purchased blindly (they won't make that mistake ever) this underdeveloped game.

I won't, believe me. Even more, I'm sad I can't use capitalism to it's full potential and sell my copy of civ5. I would do if it weren't on my Steam account.

16. tom2050

tom2050 Deity

Yes, Steam is evil. I have no respect for Valve, 2K, Steam, Shafer, half the clowns at Firaxis, and not much for Sid at this point anymore. Now you can't even re-sell or trade Shafer 5; they force you to keep it.

17. casey1966

casey1966 Warlord

Panzer General wins hands down,you can't improve on perfection Firaxes. Quit stealing SSI's ideas & come up with your own. Hexagon's have been in use for many years,you fail. :lol:

18. kooboo

kooboo Lurker

Your opinion is completely irrelevant to mine, so I don't know why you quote me. If you trying to imply these are my thoughts - then no - these aren't.

Steam would be fine as it is if people could actually unregister their games or register to someone else. Most other registered goods (flats, houses, cars, even tickets) are sellable anyway. And I would like to withdraw as much money as possible from my mistake of buying Civ5. Sadly - it's not possible unless I sell my whole Steam account.

PS. What's Shafer 5?

19. Psyringe

Psyringe Scout

A semi-popular nickname for Civ5, apparently meant to express "this is not Civ, this is Jon Shafer's game".

20. d4everman

d4everman Chieftain

Those same folks probably love diplomacy in CiV. "But I can see Askia from my front porch!" ;)