1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

CIV 5 the worst letdown in PC gaming, ever.

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by hussar, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Psyringe

Psyringe Scout

Well, one could argue that being clueless about other nations is part of Civ5's diplomacy design ... so it might actually be an advantage. ;)

2. Crezth

Crezth 話說天下大勢分久必合合久必分

3. d4everman

d4everman Chieftain

I think we can be reasonably sure that a lot of folks here won't, at least not on release.

I can't. I don't know how to do that. I also can't bake a cake but I know when one tastes like ****. Just because I can't bake a cake is no rreason to give the baker a pass for making a crappy one that I pay for.

4. Crezth

Crezth 話說天下大勢分久必合合久必分

Well, you know the old saying: "Critics are superior to movie directors because they know more."

5. Medopu

Medopu Warlord

well there is another saying: "custumer is always right".
    And I assume that he bought the game, otherwise, he wouldn't be bichin here on the forum and would probably play the game.

6. Crezth

Crezth 話說天下大勢分久必合合久必分

Well since Firaxis hates you customers so much then you shouldn't buy from them anymore.

OH BELIEVE ME CREZTH, I WON'T

Awesome. End of discussion. Right? No? Ugh.

7. Helmling

Helmling Philosopher King

I can't agree more about MoO 3. I loved the other two to death, but I'm not even sure 3 qualifies as a game.

Civ 5 is possibly the weakest entry in the series, but the OP's tirade is hyperbolic to say the least.

8. Jharii

Jharii King

Complete the actual phrase, please. "The customer is always right, until they are wrong."

9. mEEchigan

mEEchigan Chieftain

Almost every game in the past 6-7 years has been a dissapointment to me. I can't believe how many games I have purchased because I was bored and decided to try it, only to be bored by the game!

ciV has been the biggest letdown, for me, because cIV is the only game I received any quality playtime from (other than WoW at times, ugh) in a long time. Since FFX, I can't recall a game that really catered to my turn-based, interactive movie playstyle so I've been SoL playing Chrono Trigger, etc. on emulators! So, when I heard ciV was being released I just assumed it would be fun for me. Many of the new features seemed like fun - culture spreading and 1UPT.

Unfortunately, not only is ciV boring for me, but I can't play cIV because I hate the SoD and BFC. Argh!:mad: ciV seems to have ruined two games for me!

edit: I like turn-based RPGs and Civilization. Civilization is not an interactive movie... I realize my thoughts were all over the place for a second there.

10. pazmacats

pazmacats Warlord

@ mEEchigan

I agree, I played about 5 good games in the last ca. 8 years. (EU2, Guild wars, Civ4, ufo afterlight and warcraft3), everything else was dissappointing eyecandy junk just like Civ5.

You should try jagged alliance 2 (with unofficial patch(es)), if you like turn based RPG. Awesome game, played it for years. developer went bankrupt for making one of the best games ever.

11. d4everman

d4everman Chieftain

Well, its not like anyone is forcing you to read the posts.

12. Kozmos

Kozmos Jew Detective

You betcha! /Palin

But no, it's not them. The game is ******** or rather the design choices by devs are.

13. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

does this mean that the devs are ********?

interesting... :D

14. AlpsStranger

AlpsStranger Jump jump on the tiger!

If we're judging Askia by his Civ5 leader scene I'd run like hell if he was that close to *my* porch...

15. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

I would too if I wasn't so sure that my palace was already set aflame by Songhai troops.

16. Mesix

Mesix One of Porg

I know that several other people already said this:

I think that MOO3 was by far the worst sequel in PC gaming history. I waited for that game to come out for months. I paid $50 for the game and two months later it was $20 due to poor sales and worse reviews. I tried to play it and it was so bad and lacked anything resembling an enjoyable experience that I gave up after a few hours (which is a few hours of my life which I will never get back).

17. ohioastronomy

ohioastronomy King

There are aspects of Civ 5 that remind me of MOO3. For example, in MOO3 the AI was incapable of launching invasions to capture planets. In Civ 5 they're incapable of launching invasions across oceans (they sometimes cross shallow water.) There are a lot of units that AIs don't build in Civ 5; same in MOO3.

MOO3 was worse, however, in the sense that pretty much none of the game systems actually appeared to work properly. It was sufficiently confusing, however, that it could take awhile to figure that out.

On the subject of game reviewers, by the way, MOO3 for 64% on Metacritic...

18. gagemo

gagemo Chieftain

other than whats been said about the poor AI and crashes the worst for me is no mods like RFC or Fall From Heaven....why would they make a game where their most popular mods arent and probaly wont ever be on the game. wtf........

19. Iranon

Iranon Deity Whipping Boy

No, but they think we are. At least Sid Meier does... in addition to egomaniac, paranoid, delusional and self-destructive. Evidenced in his talk about the psychology of game design at GDC 2010

Link: http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/civilizationv/video/6253563

Unlike the other things above, he doesn't directly call us '********' but comes close to implying it in the section on combat mechanics starting at around 18:20.
    We're unwilling to think anything through. We don't like games with elegant mechanics and honest challenges because that would interfere with our delusions of grandeur.

If we get games that seem clunky and badly designed, it's to a large extent because WE SUCK and could't cope with well-designed games.

20. Jharii

Jharii King

I'll take a look at that later...

But I can't say that I could directly disagree with that assessment. A developer's primary point of contact to the customer is through message boards. If you look at your prototypical internet forum poster, he is a disrespectful, impatient, belligerent person that has a hard time constructing a complete sentence, let alone spelling simple words correctly.

If you parallel this with the apparent regression in society as a whole, particularly in the United States, this would support their argument. Education has degraded in this country greatly while crime has increased; this is a direct corelation. All the while, the government manufactures more citizens that are dependant on what they provide "for free."

There are simply more people that want something for nothing and want someone else to take over their responsibilities. They want a "dumbed down" life experience with with the same rewards as those that give full effort.

Sorry for the cynicism, but I really don't see how anyone could be surprised that companies will have to cater to this mentality as well in order to stay in business. I just wonder how long it will take for this new Age of Entitlement to officially overtake the Age of Technology.