1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ 5: Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by BSmith1068, Sep 24, 2010.

?

Civ 5: Thumbs Up or Thumbs Down?

1. Thumbs Up (I’ve played the game)

432 vote(s)
    53.6%
  2. Thumbs Up (I have not played the game)

18 vote(s)
    2.2%
  3. Meh… (I’ve played the game)

137 vote(s)
    17.0%
  4. Meh… (I have not played the game)

18 vote(s)
    2.2%
  5. Thumbs Down (I’ve played the game)

180 vote(s)
    22.3%
  6. Thumbs Down (I have not played the game)

21 vote(s)
    2.6%
  1. 6295603

6295603 Chieftain

I hope enough people get warned not to buy this game as it is is (still) very buggy.

I hope Firaxis fixes it. And even if they do fixes the bugs, there are a lot of mechanics that are simply too simple to be anywhere near CIV4 as explained here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=9658871&postcount=17

It is not probable that MODS will turn this game into the great game we thought i would be. Firafix and Sid Meyer probably thinks this, that's why they released it in a such hurry with all it's bugs and missing features.

2. UKScud

UKScud Chieftain

Of course they all are....were you expecting anything different? Haters always should the loudest.

Having said that. I just finished playing my first game [Elizabeth, Normal Difficulty, Normal Size Map, Normal number of Civs...a bog standard game in fact] and it played through to a Time Victory in 2050, and to be perfectly honest...meh!

Sure, the eye candy is pretty (but that's just graphics that get better every time a new Civ comes out, was I expecting anything less than the latest graphics, no]...my wife liked the music.

Am I being fair saying that's all I can think of in its favour? Gameplay...I'd have to reserve judgement on that one...but it seems really slow. REALLY slow. I've played slow games of the other versions as well, but I don't know...I kind of expected better.

I'm more than happy to admit that I probably wasn't playing it efficiently, but I seemed to cripple myself fairly early on, when one of my neighbours, Germany, attacked and I counter -attacked and did very well for myself. He gave up three additional German cities in the settlement. The amount of unhappiness that caused, and the knock on effect on my economy and my social policies, which I had ridiculously few of in the middle game, was very nasty...I'm still not sure I've worked out what the game is all about.

Actually, that's one thig I can genuinly stick my hand up and say I'm not sure I like it, the social policy system...the game seems to lock you in to a particular set fairly early on...and I don't like the fact that it's very difficult to change things later...my empire seemed to get very large and I wanted to move to policies that would reflect that...the game itself informs you that if you want to play a social game you have to have a mid sized empire...say, can you free up cities like in Civ4, or make colonies? Could I have gotten rid of those cities without having to raze them?

3. amazome

amazome Chieftain

I really enjoy this game, it's still Civilization but more enjoyable to play. No stacks was a great change, the roads are better implemented in this version, and I have no problem with the new civic system.

Only complaints are that the descriptions and actions are vague, and also I have yet to find the option to turn on the clock, turn off view enemy animations, etc.

4. TheMeInTeam

TheMeInTeam Top Logic

The bugs are totally breaking the game, so "meh".

If it ACTUALLY WORKS, then I'll give it a thumbs up. Not before.

5. Julian Delphiki

Julian Delphiki Anton's key

Thumbs up, though I still like cIV more. At least the art book is nice..

6. oscogmo

oscogmo Chieftain

cant stop playing it, I love it.. Brilliant !!

there are some bugs but i know the Civ team are working hard to fix them and just like the problems with Civ iv they will all be fixed, I wan't hotseat back though its the best way to play this game hands down !!!

thumbs up all the way

7. sneaky

sneaky Chieftain

Thumbs Up.

All the hate almost made me question the quality of the game beforehand, but after some actual play time I am sure this is an excellent game. Possibly the best in the series.

8. Sommerswerd

Sommerswerd I never yielded

Before you buy Civ 5, check System Requirements Lab (SRL)... and DON'T GO BY WHAT IT SAYS ON THE BOX and don't listen to the guy at the store. Go to SRL first. If SRL says you can run it, you can. If it gives you a "fail" score :thumbsdown:, dont second guess, believe me. It might load, but it wont run well enough to play.:nono:

Go to this website:
    System Requirements Lab install and run the program "Can You Run It?"

You will thank me...obey:scan:

And TMIT come to the AMAZON forum, while they are working out the MANY bugs in Civ 5... your team needs you.:)

9. Swedish Berserk

Swedish Berserk Chieftain

The new combat system is really good. It reminds me of Civ Rev. But i miss religon and i miss diplomacy. Where is the +/- system we had in CIV IV? I really miss it. It feels like the combat has taken two steps forward and the diplomacy system one step backwards.

10. Civistynyt

Civistynyt Chieftain

Thumbs, and my d**k up :goodjob:

11. Mivo

Mivo Chieftain

It is not "very buggy" for me. It does have some glitches, doesn't seem optimized for performance and the MP mode is lacking, but it's very playable and fun.I hope many people do buy it, because that will ensure updates and expansions.

It already is a great game. Civ4 was buggy when it was released, and had many issues. It turned into one of the best Civ installments ever. It is not only probably that we will see fantastic mods, but pretty much guaranteed.

I don't understand the panic mongering.

12. muxec

muxec Chieftain

"Meh" for now. Will be Thumbs up after ~4 patches. Civ4 was worse at launch.

13. Morelyn

Morelyn Chieftain

I think most of the haters are people wanting it to be Civ 4.1. Civ 4, only with better graphics. There are always people like that, who can't let go of the older version.

I can't believe how much fuss there has been about no clock, fer crying out loud!

14. DashieBaby87

DashieBaby87 Chieftain

Thumbs up!

And I think most of the "Meh" people will enjoy Civ5 after a couple of patches. The people who hate it were expecting it to be just like Civ IV.

It would be nice to have a clock, though. I'm sure they'll patch it in later on.

♥

15. SuperJay

SuperJay Bending Space and Time

Thumbs up: 190
    Thumbs down: 28

So there we go. :)

16. gingerbill

gingerbill Chieftain

loving the game so far. It's comletely diffrent than CIV4 and i'm glad . I loved CIV 4 but i wanted a new game not the same game all over again.

17. HannibalBarca

HannibalBarca Chieftain

18. Revolucion09

Revolucion09 Chieftain

No, I dont expect 4.1, I expect Civ 5 as a CIVILIZATION game, not a war-game for kids

19. Bigend

Bigend Chieftain

I know, right? All these people saying that if you don't like Civ V, it's something to do with expecting it to be Civ IV, but just looking at it objectively, standing on it's own, it has a lot of problems.

20. jtwood

jtwood Chieftain

Heh. I said (just yesterday, I think) that marketers hate displeased customers because they're so much more vocal than pleased people.

Code:
    Thumbs Up (I’ve played the game)  	   	206  	67.10%
    Thumbs Up (I have not played the game) 		8 	2.61%
    Meh… (I’ve played the game) 		        43 	14.01%
    Meh… (I have not played the game) 		10 	3.26%
    Thumbs Down (I’ve played the game) 		32 	10.42%
    Thumbs Down (I have not played the game) 	8 	2.61%
    FWIW, I'm in the thumbs down, have played group.

I'm just bored when I play it. Hopefully, a combination of patches and mods will get me into it.