Civ 5 won a BAFTA award - is it deserved?

jacyp

Winter Lover
Hey guys, I'm surprised I didn't see this posted here, since Greg usually post this kind of stuff in all forums related to Civ 5.

The game won a Video Game BAFTA (British Academy of Film and Television Arts) Award in the category "Strategy": http://www.bafta.org/awards/video-games/video-games-awards-nominees-in-2010,1656,BA.html#jump11

So I was wondering what you guys think about this?

I will copy my opinion from 2K forums:

This is the list of the contenders of the category:

Strategy

Civilization V
Jon Shafer, Dorian Newcomb, Brian Wade
2K Games/Firaxis

Fallout: New Vegas

Josh Sawyer, Frank Kowalkowski, Justin Reynard
Bethesda Softworks/Obsidian Entertainment

FIFA Manager 11

Development Team
EA Sports/Bright Future

Napoleon Total War

Development Team
SEGA/Creative Assembly

Plants vs. Zombies XBLA

George Fan, Matt Lee Johnston, Ty Roberts
PopCap Games/PopCap Games

Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty

Development Team
Blizzard Entertainment/Blizzard Entertainment

I really wonder what Fallout is doing there, since it's an FPS (or TPS, according to your preferences) mixed with open world RPG.

The presence of FIFA Manager are also debatable since the sports games have their own category and Football Manager 2011 is there along with other sport games, so there's no reason for FIFA Manager (who compete directly with FM 2011) to be in a Strategy category.

That leave us with 3 games where the action is real time, and 1 game where the action is turn based. We all know very well that a lot of gamers love TBS while disgust RTS and vice versa, and that's exactly why we, the ones who know games, classify such games in different categories: it's a different kind of fun, it's a different effort from the player, it's a different strategy thinking, it's a different pace.

1,2,3 strikes, this "award" is out. I don't think whoever organized this mess have any idea about games at all, I wonder who votes in this award and what are the criteria.

But even if we are to discuss who's the best with the games on the list, even Plants vs. Zombies (a tower defense, for those who don't know) is way more entertaining than Civ 5 on its release. Also, SC 2, with all its demerits, was at least finished when it was released.

So while I don't believe in any type of scheme to give this award to Civ 5, I do believe that people who organized such award has little real knowledge of games, given the anomalies that I can see.

i would like to point out that tron legacy was not nominated for oscars as well, do these people even watch the movies ?

on the other side, i do think sc2 deserved it more then civ5 but then again civ5 is okish so far, do u remember civ4 release ?

I personally would've picked SC2 but hey, they can pick who they want. Whatever.

British Academy of Film and Television Awards, I believe.

It's a typical self-promotion exercise for the entertainment industry and I guess they'll promote computer games as well if anyone asks them to.

Like the OP said... They pretty much lost all credibility once they posted their nominees.

Any award given for an inherently non-competetive activity (in this case game design) is usually a joke.

as flawed as civ5 may be what exactly is its competition?

these guys have to pick a game every year. they can't just give a 2011 award to galciv2 or anything...

Civ 5 is a fantastic game and could easily compete with Starcraft 2 on this list as both games have strategies that evolve with time and often accrue hundreds of hours of play time from its fan base.

I'm fine with the award going to either of those two nominees. Good for Civ 5, they get way too much hate and deserve some recognition for what is a great game when looked at as a standalone product.

People in the entertainment biz patting each other on the shoulder ... nothing new there.

Personally I don't pay any attention to celebrity/entertainment industry 'awards'.

BAFTA? I don't get it. Is the award for the voice acting or for the game quality? At first glance, I thought they were awarding for the voice acting (in which case FNV would win out as I love the voice acting in that game) Otherwise, what do computer games have to do with television and film?

Choose between an unfinished mess(Civ5) and an overpriced reskin(SC2)...I choose the unfinished mess.

Is this an award for WORST game of 2011? I mean CiV is OK, but when I play it, I think it is a dumbed up version of CivRev.

I think Firaxis has been bribing the City State of BAFTA for a diplomatic victory.

Any award given for an inherently non-competetive activity (in this case game design) is usually a joke.

This is a very good point, but I don't think it's quite right.

In terms of game genre I think there is a competition, yes. In theory, economically speaking, games of the same genre appeal for the same people and giving that people has limited resources, they will buy the one (or two?) that provides them more satisfaction over another that doesn't.

The problem is that eletronic games are also adictive, so there's a good chance that a given player will end up buying, in time, all the games of the genre he likes. But the developer also need to make an impact on release, to show publishers their strengh.

So, games of the same genre are not exclusive to each other, but I think they still compete cos whichever sells a lot first will get more impact in game news and that's gonna reflect in advertising for future games of the developer. We all know that a very successful game or series (and the measure of that success is often the sales figures) can attract many players.

But I agree that an award, still, is worth nothing when it isn't given based on the only form of competition a game have: sales numbers.

I think Firaxis has been bribing the City State of BAFTA for a diplomatic victory.

:lol::rotfl:

Top Bottom