1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ 5?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Mike Hussey, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Warrenglo03

Warrenglo03 Chieftain

Civ Revolution is kind of liek civ 5 but I have heard rumors about a new sid meiers release date announcement early next year. Maybe that is the civ 5 we are all hoping for!

2. Lugh

Lugh Prince

Right. Doesn't Sid's announcement of Civ Network kill any chance of Civ5 in 2011?

With the games market becoming more mainstream, the money should increasingly be in consoles and simpler games. Both those trends point against a complex PC game like Civ5.

3. morchuflex

morchuflex Emperor

I'm no economist, but if most Civ4 players are likely to buy Civ5, doesn't it make developping it just as worthwhile as developping Civ4 was? Classic, complex PC gaming may become a niche market, but there are very lucrative niches, and targeting them may still be a viable option.

4. Antilogic

Antilogic --

I think Paradox Interactive has proven that the niche market exists. Their Europa series are incredibly complex, and they have a significant online community with modders and all just like the Civ community.

I have no doubt in my mind there is a market for Civ5. It's a matter of when. Probably not within the next year or so if they are working on this Facebook Civ, but later.

5. Camikaze

Camikaze Administrator Administrator

I would've thought that the only real reason to make Facebook Civ is to gain recognition and popularity for the series, helping sales of PC games. I mean, apart from advertising revenue, I wouldn't think they're making a bucket load of money out of providing a free internet game. But if the aim is to expand their customer base to increase sales of future games which they will sell (i.e. the Civ series), that makes more sense.

6. Badtz Maru

Badtz Maru King

I'm only afraid that Civ5 will either borrow too much simplification from CivRev (although many of the new features in CivRev are really good and would be welcomed), or that it tries to add too much complexity and new features and ends up unbalanced and/or unfun (see Master of Orion 3). It's really hard to imagine how they could improve upon the gameplay of Civ4 without drastically changing the game.

7. siggboy

siggboy Monarch/Epic

There will most probably be a Civ 5 sooner or later, much in the spirit of Civ 4 (about as complex, etc.).

Civ is a hugely successful brand, despite it being in a niche market due to complexity and learning curve. Firaxis/T2 would be out of their mind to abandon that niche.

If they keep the design team and lead designer from Civ 4 and continue to include the community the way they have, Civ 5 will be just as well-made and successful as all the predecessors.

With all the mods and ongoing community fixes coming in, I'm personally more than happy to continue playing Civ 4 for a while, so I can wait until 2012 or longer until I get impatient.

8. Rusty Edge

Rusty Edge Deity

I don't think the civ PC series will conclude without a "CIVILIZATION _ Take the Money and Run " edition.

9. Saiko

Saiko That one guy

Civ5 is not in development now,but I hope they'll make it.

10. Nares

Nares Emperor

It would if the government pulls out of it.

11. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Emperor

The Civ 5 development team, if it ever comes into existence, would face the formidable task of making the game deeper and more complex to justify its purchase to existing Civ players while not making it so deep and so complex that it would be hopelessly challenging for newbies. Just adding a handful of new civs and a few new wonders isn't going to be compelling enough to make me shell out fifty bucks or more. There's also the near-requirement to make the game SMP-enabled so as to take full advantage of multicore CPUs. Those two issues would seem to necessitate throwing out the existing code base, and the years of work that went into it, and starting from scratch. The logic at Firaxis may well be that if they have to build a new game from scratch anyway, why not something other than Civ? For all I know, Sid Meiers may want to try a new game or even a new gaming genre rather than building yet another civ game.

12. 00konichiwa00

00konichiwa00 Prince

Why wouldn't they make Civ 5, since Civ 4 was such a big success. I have even heard rumours that they have started on Civ 5. There is a lot that can be better, so a Civ 5 is very welcome

13. mva5580

mva5580 Warlord

I'm really not sure how much better the game could get from Civ IV; truly one of the greatest games I've played. Totally addicted. I'd honestly rather see work on a comprehensive patch/expansion pack to update the code so that it runs better on newer machines/multiple cores than any serious changes to the gameplay.

If I had to choose between Civ 5 or an updated Alpha Centauri, it would be AC in a heart beat because Civ IV is as close to video game perfection as it can get. In my opinion.

14. bestbrian

bestbrian Just this guy, ya know?

When's the 20th Anniversary? 2013? That'd be my guess.

15. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Emperor

You're close: "Civilization" was first released by Microprose in 1991.
    Unless the Firaxis folks are really good at keeping a secret, I'd say that Civilization: The 20th Anniversary Commemorative Edition will be packaged in an embossed tin box containing a couple of DVDs with every version of Civ ever released, a lovely poster of Sid Meiers (Suitable for framing), but no Civ 5. On the other hand, it will only cost $89.95.

16. morchuflex

morchuflex Emperor

Civ4 is great, but there still are a few things that could be vastly improved. :)
    Most importantly (in my book) the combat system. I know Civ isn't intended for the same audience as, say, Hearts of Iron, but in the game as it stands, warfare is ridiculously simplistic.

I really hope Civ will eventually include some kind of tactical combat screen instead of the silly one-on-one system we have had to bear since Civ1. Microprose had done it (at a rudimentary but still effective level) in Master of Magic. So, why not in Civ5?

As of now, Civ also ignores the most important element of any warfare throughout history, that is logistics. There should be limited ranges to ships, a cap to healing in neutral or enemy territory, warriors scouting jungles or arctic regions should suffer from some kind of attrition, etc.

I also wish some terrain types were impassable for some units (like jungle for armor).

And, please, bring back zones of control!

I guess the reason why the combat system is so pathetic is that a better system would require a better AI, but still... :rolleyes:

17. phungus420

phungus420 Deity

100% agree. The only problem I have with Civ4 is the rediculous combat mechanism. 1v1 units, unlimited stack sizes, and the strange collateral combat mechanics are just wrong on so many levels. Moving beyond the combat mechanics of Civ1 to something more interesting and fun is a must for the next step in the series. Personally I think Civ4's economic system is incredibly detailed and interesting, while maintaining a simplistic presentation that the player can intuitively understand (a balance that is very hard to achieve and the civ4 devs should be very proud of this); I don't know how they will begin to improve on that.

Realism should take a backseat to gameplay. This is a game players enjoy for fun. Simulating history is part of the immersion experience and important in a genre like this for sure; however enjoyment of the game and fun should never be sacrificed for historical accuracy, that's poor game design. And honestly I don't see how "logistics" could ever be implemented in a fun way. I see adding logistics to civ's gameplay alot, and just flat out disagree.

18. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Emperor

IIRC, one of the earlier versions of Civ (Civ 3?) seemed to attempt to emulate logistics by adding an unhappiness penalty in cities that had units that were built in them deployed elsewhere. That was a blunt instrument at best. Sure, you could simulate logistics in Civ, but how far would you like to go in the name of historical accuracy? Would you want your troops to start suffering some sort of morale penalty because you didn't send sutlers (Merchants who followed the armies) along? How about having your mounted units suffer a movement penalty because you failed to bring along a blacksmith? What about food? While adding logistics would definitely add realism it would drastically raise the amount of micromanagement required in a game where some already complain about the micromanagement.

That said, the combat system is ludicrous. I think I understand what the designers were attempting to do, but the tedious succession of mano-a-mano battles when attacking or defending is just plain silly.

19. 00konichiwa00

00konichiwa00 Prince

Why in the world should they have to build it from scratch? The will offcoruse make a game based on CIV4, but adding things (not only units, buildings and civilizations). There is loads of things to do. If I knew a simple way of telling them (I am too lazy to go to their website, look for an e-mail adresse and then write to them), I would have lots of dieas for them.
    Why should they make a new game which they won't even know if will be a success. They would have to use HUGE amounts of money on marketing and all the other stuff they have to do for new (100 % new) releases. It's alot cheaper and secure for them to actually just upgrade civ 4 to civ 5. And it doesn't mean it will be borring. There are loads of things they can add. The graphics might be the same, but I dn't think the graphics need to be upgraded.

There are so many negative nerds here (I don't mean you). It is tiring to write about all the people that says "no they shouldn't release civ5, because civ4 is complex" and other stupid nerd complains. NOTHING is ever perfect and can always be perfected.
    Why can't people be more positive? It is okay if you won't want a civ 5, but then please don't spread whining all over the thread. I quick "I'm not really interested in a civ 5" note is good enough! There is loads of other people that are very interested in a civ 5, don't spoil the fun for us.

Guys and Girls: please don't make this sound more difficult than it really is. I don't think Firaxis would not want to make civ 5, but I do think it's a matter of money. I have heard they have money problems, somethng I really hope is not true.

20. binhthuy71

binhthuy71 Emperor

First, they would have to make the game SMP (Symetric MultiProcessor) enabled so as to take advantage of the now-ubiquitous multi-core CPUs. Second, they have to make it capable of addressing a lot more memory that it does currently. Those two items alone would necessitate a re-coding of the game. Absent that, all of the new features will cause the same slowdown that now plagues the game. Civ needs new features in the areas of trade, combat and diplomacy, among others. Then there's real 3D terrain, weather, and a few other things.