1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ 6 AI Battle Royal

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Oct 14, 2016.

1. pietro1990

pietro1990 Prince

Maybe the Ai is programmed to fight against the human player thats why they don't declare that much.

2. Toulouse

Toulouse Warlord

This is why we don't pre-order, folks.

3. Panixs

Panixs Warlord

This has really annoyed me they had all the techs but have just sat there not even starting the next step.

4. Larsenex

Larsenex King

Pietro, you seem to be on a hate filled roll. Yes the ai has issues and as had been stated every single time ... it always will. Drop the game move away from the anger and just come back in a few years maybe some game will finally meet expectations. Personally I think I will have a lot of fun on Friday.

5. brako

brako Chieftain

So they set up AI games continuously playing in their hallways for months, so they can analyze it all the time, they watched thousanda of AI gameplays, distributed previews... and it never occured to them to repair such obvoious, nails on chalkboard problems? We are not talking about few bugs, an obscure exploit, off-key building pteferences, but massive AI, or better said, balance breakdown, an elephant in the room.

What are your thoughts on this, then? Right now, I see no other way but to be cynical and conclude that they simply wanted it more or less that way. This site if for fanatics and we might be disappointed, but after all, the game will be purchased by millions of players who will be happy to play and win it once or twice with their civ and move to the next hot game. Game ratings are secured to be 9/10 for high-end product like this, due to sheer volume of content, art and charisma of the game and franchise. AI that passivly advances through ages and doesn't really attempt to win is good enough I supposse..

Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  6. pietro1990

pietro1990 Prince

i am just posting it in the hope developers will see it and change it.
    will play it friday and enjoy it..

Just like i did with civ 5

7. ExemplarVoss

ExemplarVoss Prince

Not entirely. A lot of it is really priority lists. Warmonger penalty is valued way too highly, settlement locations need a shorter leash (especially early on), and prioritizing resources so they can upgrade units need to happen (to the point that they will take cities despite warmonger penalties). That will require a lot of back and forth tweaking, but not writing or even rewriting an AI from scratch.

This can be salvaged, but the big obstacle seems to be the fact that the team accepts it as expected and OK. They really shouldn't have done this stream at all- yet another marketing failure for the team.

8. Todd Hawks

Todd Hawks Warlord

I think you pretty much nailed it there. We "oldschool" Civ gamers are a small minority by now and it's probably not worth it to cater to us anymore. Give it nice graphics, impressive sounding features and the masses will buy it. Thankfully other companies still try to get good strategy games out, unfortunately they are not Civ.

9. DeutschDachs

DeutschDachs King

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen such mass hysteria in person before lol

10. grant2004

grant2004 Citizen

Oh my god... He's bragging about trading great works for a city... He's bragging about it!

11. CaiusDrewart

CaiusDrewart King

Might this AI, on release, actually be worse than Civ 5's was? Is it possible?

12. Brutus2

Brutus2 Prince

What? Did he just say the AI once traded him a city with aluminum in exchange for three great works? C'mon, unless that was a really bad city that's crazy.

13. RealHuhn

RealHuhn Emperor

Indeed, I had tons of fun in CIV5 even against AI which couldn't even move and shoot on the same turn. It's just silly to think that AI will ruin all the fun in CIV6.

14. DeutschDachs

DeutschDachs King

Yet if you ask anyone to list off the greatest strategy games of all time you will invariably see either Civ IV or Civ V in the top 5. Weird.

15. gunnerxtr

gunnerxtr King

Battle Royale LOLzzzzzz. So much battling....

16. ExemplarVoss

ExemplarVoss Prince

Well, units can move and shoot. So... no.

Look, the AI for Civ games has always been pretty bad. 5 was definitely a step down from 4, but this is a bit better than 5. And it has a lot more features and gameplay elements than 5 did on release.

17. pietro1990

pietro1990 Prince

it has better diplmacy but thats about it.

civ 5 did upgrade units and actually was agressive maybe to agressive

18. MetaSkipper

MetaSkipper Chieftain

Apparently it was a desert city that the AI didn't know had aluminum.

19. Evs

Evs Chieftain

Seriously can't believe what I'm watching 2 days prior to release. Barbarian mech inf attacking Rome with a scout inside as its only defence ???

Txurce and lietkynes like this.
  20. Todd Hawks

Todd Hawks Warlord

What's weird about it? Civ IV still had decent AI (and by now has extremely good AI due to mods). Civ V by now also has decent AI due to mods, even though I don't like it that much.

And if Civ VI will allow AI modding, we will see decent AI for Civ VI as well, no doubt. Unfortunately it will probably take a few years.