1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ 6 AI Battle Royal

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Panixs

Panixs Warlord

It would be interesting to see englands build queues for that end game. they rushed the first two parts of the science victory researched the techs for the last part and then apperently just forgot about it and just spammed mech inf

2. Todd Hawks

Todd Hawks Warlord

Stream's over. Well, that was interesting, I was going from "hey, this doesn't look as bad as I thought" in the beginning to "they cannot be serious" halfway through. In the end it started to actually get funny in that certain desperate way.

Krajzen, Dunduks and CaiusDrewart like this.
  3. pholtz

pholtz King

Don't believe/understand all the negativity about the AI. It's funny. People complained when the AI broke the fourth wall and went after the winner. They changed it so it wouldn't happen so often, and now you complain that it doesn't. The developers just can't win.

4. ExemplarVoss

ExemplarVoss Prince

No. There was no substantive discussion of anything. The AI discussion was mostly excuses: warmonger penalties mean very very few wars, lack of strategic resources is why units don't upgrade (and presumably the former is why they don't try to get access to the latter), and AI's only produce settlers when they've found a spot for them (which doesn't explain the half-dozen idle settlers that sat in capitals for half the game). And apparently repairing pillaged tiles often gets less priority than 'other things the AI might be doing.'

Won't speak for anyone else, but I wasn't one of those nebulous and unsubstantiated 'people.'
    But that's way, way down on my list of things that are wrong with the AI. Which starts with settlement decisions and goes into passivity (pretty much on all fronts, including building victory objectives when they have the requirements), and declaring wars (on the rare occassion war is declared) and then not moving troops.

CaiusDrewart likes this.
  5. Todd Hawks

Todd Hawks Warlord

No, they didn't talk about how the AI was built but it's safe to assume it's more or less exactly the same as Civ 5. I even bet when modders get theirs hands on it they will find routines and bugs they already found in Civ 5.

CaiusDrewart likes this.
  6. Txurce

Txurce Deity

Yeah, that's it! This AI's too smart for its own good.

Krajzen and CaiusDrewart like this.
  7. redwings1340

redwings1340 Emperor

Well... That happened.

The AI did seem to do pretty well teching up and gaining culture. Their settling choices were questionable to bad, but mayyyybbbbeeeee, just maybe, the lack of upgrading troops was a decision made by the AI for maintenance cost reasons, and they would have done so if they were at war. Still, that's concerning, and it also looks pretty bad to have outdated units in operation so late.

This game provides a good counterargument to why warmongering penalties are so high. The AI shouldn't be as afraid of them as they currently are, because all in all, that game was very boring.

8. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

Well..just like in real life. Realism much? :D

9. Todd Hawks

Todd Hawks Warlord

If you had taken even 5 minutes to glance through this thread you would have seen that we aren't complaining about that at all.

Krajzen and Dunduks like this.
  10. pietro1990

pietro1990 Prince

i was thinxing the same but only time will tell.

11. Matte979

Matte979 Jedi Master

So what happened to artillery / Bombers and boats. I guess they did not fight much maybe that's why the AI did not build these the AI was so tame, an Human in the game would change things around, but lots of things for Firaxis to work on. Game should be somewhat entertaining in the current state but as stated seem emperor is minimum to get some challange. As usual Civ will be just entertaining out of the box but AI will be fairly tame, then expansions will get them to an OK state and Mods will make it enjoyable. Will still play tomorrow but might be tempting to play some Stellaris as well. Btw graphics was a little strange when you saw the whole map, not sure I liked it. Good that you wont see it like that.

12. bradeh

bradeh Chieftain

A big part of city-state diplomacy is being able to levy their units. Most of the city-states had warriors, archers and catapults in the information era. Regardless of the reason that is just bad design.

Trullari, CaiusDrewart and pietro1990 like this.
  13. Ovarwa

Ovarwa Chieftain

I, for one, am extremely pleased with the inept AI.

I get to keep my laptop for at least another year!

Krajzen and Ramkhamhaeng like this.
  14. King Jason

King Jason Fleece-bearer

Neither of those are representative of the primary concerns being raised.

I don't care if the A.I. is actively competing against me or if it's roleplaying - both are entertaining game modes.

I still expect the A.I. to actually understand how to play the game. To settle cities reasonably. To conduct whatever wars they do get involved in, reasonably. To maintain their military reasonably. To maintain their empire reasonably.

You can't make a comment like that when we just watched a 3 hour game where one civ left 3 tiles that were pillaged by barbarians in the first 100 turns go unrepaired for the entire duration of a 400+ turn game.

There is - virtually - no excuse for that.

Krajzen, PhroX, Dunduks and 2 others like this.
  15. ImperialChaos

ImperialChaos President

So who won?

16. CaiusDrewart

CaiusDrewart King

I'm wondering why Firaxis did this. Previously they had studiously avoided talking about the AI. Now they've shone a spotlight on that aspect of their game, and it's going over like a lead balloon here and on r/civ. Did they think this AI would impress people?

17. pietro1990

pietro1990 Prince

You are right.. now its only usefull early game late game why bother?

18. Evs

Evs Chieftain

Ed Beach initially said he was lead AI programmer on ciV and has passed that over to someone else for ciVI.

The new lead AI programmer then came on, made an excuse for why the AI has warriors in the modern era (a really poor excuse that is an obvious design flaw). He then left and was replaced by someone else.

The remaining discussions were either not talking when the screen cycled over something that was just so bad they couldn't think of anything to say about it, or more excuses about why something even more ridiculous was happening

19. smartcanuck1988

smartcanuck1988 Warlord

Paradox.

Krajzen, PhroX, Lord Katana and 5 others like this.
  20. bradeh

bradeh Chieftain

The AI head dev saying in all the sims he has seem the most capitals cities he has seen changed hands is 3. That is crazy to me, how many simulations have they done? Surely a civ would snowball and stumble into a domination victory on a pangaea.

He did say he does one big simulation when he leaves work every night. It just all seems a bit haphazard.