Civ 6 Can’t Load Saved Game just get main menu again.

SabyG00

Chieftain
So I’ve been playing Civ 6 in multiplayer - hot seat with the YnAMP - Yet (not) Another Maps Pack for Civ6. I’ve been playing with around 25 civilizations and no other MODs. I’ve been playing for over 2 weeks with no problems what so ever. I saved and loaded the saved game numerous times with no problems what so ever. Yesterday I saved my game again. I exited out of the entire game and turned off the computer. Today I started my computer, started Civ 6 and went into multiplayer – hot seat and went to load my saved game like I did for the past two weeks. I clicked on my saved game, went into the load menu and clicked the button to start the load. The saved game went into the initial story line where you see the president and you hear the voice read the story about your civilization. Before the reading finished the screen changes back to the Main Menu and the infinite loading starts. The saved game never loads, it just stays in the main menu screen. I never changed any settings in the game or windows 10 between yesterday and today. I don’t think there were any updates in the game or windows 10 between yesterday and today. So, I have no idea what could have happened since nothing was changed in the game or computer?

I’m doing a new thread because none of the other posts helped with this problem. I never added any other mods since starting this game and besides the initial one of YnAMP - Yet (not) Another Maps Pack for Civ6. I tried turning off other content besides YnAMP that came with Civ 6 complete in additional content but that didn’t work. I tried adding civ 6 in steam and game folder to windows defender exemptions but that didn’t work. I turned off Windows Defender completely but that didn’t work. I haven’t changed any setting since I started playing this game for the past two week so I have no idea how to fix it. Anyone, please help, I really don’t want to reinstall the game again and start all over. I hate games like that, the ones you play for a long time and then it crashes or freezes and you have to reinstall it and you lose everything. Thank you…

Verify the game's file first. Have you tried disabling the mod and start another game?
Sometimes it's very frustrating to lose all of your progress, I know, but it is just a game :D.

Returning to main menu when trying to start a game or load a saved game is a clear case of a mod conflict. Most likely, the version of YnAMP in the save is not compatible with the new patch.

Also note that turning off additional content doesn't work for loading saved games; a saved game also saves it's mods and automatically loads those mods (and no others) for reasons I suppose are obvious.

I know for sure Ynamp doesn't work with the new patch. For whatever reason the new patch enabled all of my mods (I only had one because I unsubscribed to all the others) and I couldn't start a game because this was enabled. I think I had the hard mod (downloaded from here) rather than Steam workshop. I could actually set up a game, but it just wouldn't get past the Sean Bean text.

So did the new patch come out last Tuesday May 15th 2018? Just asking because I played the game with the same YnAMP for two weeks now with no problems what so ever. When I saved it last time I didn't change anything, no setting, no changes what so ever and this time it did not load, it just goes back to main menu. Now, if I changed something myself I would understand the error...

Moongazer - last night I verified the game files with Steam and found one file missing. Steam stated that it will find and correct the missing file. It did but now when I go to load my saved game and when I go to the civilizations screen I get the too many civilization error again and I can't even start my saved game. I tried mod-ing the file (i can't remember the exact name right now) in FrontEnd folder again but that doesn't work this time.

I know it's just a game but if I have to start a new game two weeks into the game all of the time there's no point in playing that game. Sorry, I liked playing this game in the past. I went away from it for a while. Now I came back to it and getting an error two week into the game...

So I verified the game files with steam. That's all fixed now. I also fixed the max player mod, so I can play with more then just 12 civilizations but my saved game still won't load. A new game will load with none, some or all mods turned on but my saved game won't. Is there a way to fix this, so I can keep playing the game I already started and saved? I don't get how a game that I played for 2 weeks with no problems, saved it / loaded it numerous times and haven't done any changes to settings or anything else just won't load all of a sudden. But I can start a brand new game with all of the same settings and mods with no problems? There must be an error that can be fixed? Anyone have any ideas?

I would check if any of your Mods got updated on the 15th. The patch itself was on May 10th. I don't think that there was any follow up patch by Firaxis after that date.

CPWimmer - The only MOD I have in the game is YnAMP - Yet (not) Another Maps Pack for Civ6. I might be wrong but I don't think this MOD would update it self automatically. I think only I can update it with a new version right? I haven't done that since I started this saved game.

I had this once, long ago when Australia patch was most recent. It was only one save, and never happened again. And I had no mods. So it might just be that they get corrupted sometimes.

CPWimmer - The only MOD I have in the game is YnAMP - Yet (not) Another Maps Pack for Civ6. I might be wrong but I don't think this MOD would update it self automatically. I think only I can update it with a new version right? I haven't done that since I started this saved game.
If you're subscribed on Steam, it will update automatically. But YnAMP hasn't been updated since March. There is a note on the Steam page to an issue with the game returning to the main menu, with a link to a workaround. Steam page is here:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=871861883

Last edited:
WillowBrook - Thank you for the info, but that workaround didn't work ether. I did the verify the game files with Steam thing, that didn't work. I did the turn off the Windows Defender thing, that didn't work. I did the add to the Windows Defender Exceptions, that didn't work. I did the run as Administrator and that didn't work ether. It only affected my saved game. I can start a new Multiplayer - Hotseat game with the same exact settings, civilizations and city states and it works. I can save and load that game but for some reason my old game that I've been playing for the past two week won't load. I have no idea what happened. If anyone can think of anything else I can do please let me know..

Unfortunate that happened to you. The only thing that may work is if there's a way to roll back a patch, but I don't think there is. The patch just came at a bad time for you. Though it's weird you seemed to be able to play the first day or two after the patch? I've been playing games with no mods up to the days leading up to the patch to be on the safe side.

Top Bottom