Civ 6 Deity Tier List –– discussing DLC civs now, R&F civs starting 2/19

Will you be updating, with all the new civs included in the ranking?

Teddy is significantly worse than Gorgo. Gorgo's bias for hills alone is enough to make her a tier 1 civ if we are faced with a random map. If you are reloading until you receive an optimal map, then gorgo's bias becomes less improtant.

The card used towards settler production for free, stacking with the +1 production card (instead of needing to choose one or the other like other civs), is also insanely powerful. Gorgo is one of the best early expansion civs for this reason.

Gorgo is one of the best early expansion civs for this reason.
Her culture from kills ... most people are upset when barb swarms slow them down, Gorgo swims happily amongst them.
Let's also not ignore a free envoy from each cheap acropolis. Can be very handy now CS are stronger.
If I see no iron or Gilga/Tomyris then hoplites will be of some value.

It's like the people who rank do not correctly value such things.

Her culture from kills ... most people are upset when barb swarms slow them down, Gorgo swims happily amongst them.
Let's also not ignore a free envoy from each cheap acropolis. Can be very handy now CS are stronger.
If I see no iron or Gilga/Tomyris then hoplites will be of some value.

It's like the people who rank do not correctly value such things.

What do you think of Brazil? I only played them in GOTM 19, which was a favorable map, but their adj. bonuses and GPP refunds seem pretty good.

I also would rate Arabia and China above Russia and Japan, though I admit Japan, having the only cheap encampment, could be good in MP.

Are hoplites still bugged and get a permanent +10? The fact that fixing this was not a priority just shows how regular anti cav needs a boost.

Here is how i would change that list

God Tier:

1)Alexander (Macedonia)

2) Cyrus (Persia)

3) Amanitore (Nubia)

4) Tomyris (Scythia)

5) Gilgamesh (Sumeria)

Strong Tier:

6) John Curtin (Australia)

7) Gorgo (Greece)

8) Gitarja (Indonesia)

9) Montezuma (Aztec)

10) Peter (Russia)

11) Trajan (Rome)

12) Frederick Barbarossa (Germany)

Average Tier:

13) Saladin (Arabia)

14) Victoria (England)

15) Pericles (Greece)

16) Hojo Tokimune (Japan)

17) Mvemba a Nzinga (Kongo)

18) Teddy Roosevelt (America)

19) Jayavarman (Khmer)

20) Jadwiga (Poland)

21) Qin Shi Huang (China)

22) Gandhi (India)

Weak Tier:

23) Pedro II (Brazil)

24) Cleopatra (Egypt)

25) Philip II (Spain)

26) Harald Hardrada (Norway)

26) Catherine de Medici (France)

I think you have to explain why you put Rome that far down on the list

Nubia and Persia still seem like the best. With Alexander under Greece being up there with them in SP, but not in MP. Gil is probably the best in MP, carts just say kill the closest two dudes, snowball out, hence why most people ban them. If I had to pick in the blind I would go with Persia though, there less of a one trick pony then Nubia and Alex.

I think you have to explain why you put Rome that far down on the list

I odn't think I had Rome that far down, Rome is strong at #11. Perhaps others have Rome higher, but I just think that the 10 civilizations that I ranked above them are stronger.

Rome's strongest and most consistent bonus IMO is the free building (monument) in ever city. While it is a very solid bonus,I don't feel it to be overwhelming. I would rather have Russia's 7 extra tiles per city for example.

Their legion unit is solid, and their trade post bonus and baths OK and are overall a good civ, but they just don't make the top 10 for me.

Last edited:
I odn't think I had Rome that far down, Rome is strong at #11. Perhaps others have Rome higher, but I just think that the 10 civilizations that I ranked above them are stronger.

I would probably just remove the numbering. I think that "tiers" are fine to roughly judge the "strength" of a civilization. You can give reasonable arguments whether a civ should be included in "strong" or "average" tier. But a definite listing, where you argue that a civ is either at position 13 or 14 is difficult, because of course it also depends on what settings you play on & sometimes can not be so clearly judged.

Rome's strongest and most consistent bonus IMO is the free building (monument) in ever city. While it is a very solid bonus,I don't feel it to be overwhelming. I would rather have Russia's 7 extra tiles per city for example.

Their legion unit is solid, and their trade post bonus and baths OK and are overall a good civ, but they just don't make the top 10 for me.
It is a deity list and the object is to finish as fast as possible.
And the easiest way to win have two main features: early war and chopping
Rome combines those two very well as you can rush through some culture early to get good chopping bonuses and still have good units to take out neighbours. I just cannot see how Australia, Russia and Indonesia can compete with that. Gorgo you may make an argument for....

... I wouldn't... that super early culture is priceless, it allows much more flexibility if nothing else

It also gets you those early tiles much faster than most civs, so you get the land grab advantage eventually anyway. If you work a 3f tile from the start your border will pop just as your cap grows to pop 2.

I play on immortal and my opinion is that England, Russia, Greece (Gorgo), Japan are top tier. Pax Brittanica and cheap harbors are wonderful, Peter's UB is kind of useless but the powerful lavras generating extra gp's for prophets and artists is amazing, tundras no longer being worthless terrain and extra land grab is superior, and cossacks ability to move after attacking alone makes them one of the best UU in the game, that ability alone puts them on par with red coats. Japan's cheap districts, amazing UU, and adjacency bonus make them a recking ball. And Gorgo simply because with her I'm always far ahead in civics, city states, and better goverment polices.

I play on immortal and my opinion is that England, Russia, Greece (Gorgo), Japan are top tier
Do you play a peaceful game? I ask because the likes of Gilga and Monty are frightening early.
I play Victoria an awful lot, and am from English shores but I think she is rated fairly well at 15-20 for an agressive game. One of her problems is poor starts.

Do you play a peaceful game? I ask because the likes of Gilga and Monty are frightening early.
I play Victoria an awful lot, and am from English shores but I think she is rated fairly well at 15-20 for an agressive game. One of her problems is poor starts.

Not really, I'm pretty aggressive. I either play 2 strategies, I either war hard and don't worry about everyone hating me or I war and wait for the warmonger penalties to wear off a bit. I usually shoot for two strategies: domination victory or culture/score victory. If I am going for the latter, I don't war as hard, just enough to get enough land to be very ahead.

Victoria doesn't get an early bonuses besides the cheap harbors but she is definantely a monster in the industrial era, what I like to do is have a large army ready with plenty of siege and battering rams and then when military science strikes, bam, I declare war and make sure to get those free red coats from cities I strike and then I assign all my cities to build red coats non stop until I have way too many.

I also build huge navies, so Victoria is obviously the dominant one with the cheap harbors and seadogs.

so Victoria is obviously the dominant one with the cheap harbors and seadogs.
Before anyone is in the industrial era Gilgamesh can be in the information era. To me that ranks him way way above Victoria. I love playing Victoria because she starts badly, can struggle but the redcoats can pull her out of it. I rate Victoria highly for a game I enjoy but she is not top ranking. Of course on an island map she can do well but it's the frigates, sea dogs struggle to find much to take... I still have a seadog armada because they are awesome when you come across a battleship... but it's rare.

Reactions: liv
Rome is definitely very strong. I can't say whether I would rank Peter higher since I have rarely ever played Peter, but I do think Rome being in the 10-11 spot is about right. I agree that all the others above Rome on that list are probably better than Rome on average.

Harald had a tiny change getting +50% for building ships. But if you chop and overflow this is quite an advantage, and an early one at that. I would certainly not put Harald 2nd to bottom anymore.

I think there should be a "wild card" tier for Norway & maybe also England. They simply are not "good" or "bad", they are just highly dependent on map settings. Right now, they are godlike on sea maps, but bad on pangea maps. So, it is not really justified to list them as "bad", they should simply be listed as "special case".

I think there should be a "wild card" tier for Norway & maybe also England. They simply are not "good" or "bad", they are just highly dependent on map settings. Right now, they are godlike on sea maps, but bad on pangea maps. So, it is not really justified to list them as "bad", they should simply be listed as "special case".
If I play Harald on continents its not hard to get your first few cities on the coast and a +150% chop early is very strong. At 6 civics a tree chop will give over 100 production. If I place a district at the same time as chopping it, it will produce 83% of the district.

Top Bottom