Civ 6 is completely unplayable for new games

I logged into civ 6 today (I think there were some updates a few days ago) and loaded up a saved game. everything appeared normal. I then decided i wanted to start fresh and went to create a new game and everything is blank! I can not select a country nor map size everything is non selectable it's just empty!!! What the heck? i disabled all mods and it's still the same thing. This last update seems to have ruined my game!

whooo. I shut the game down and reloaded it this time thru steam and not my desktop short cut. I started civ 6 this time and went to create a new game and now it looks normal again. Hmmm...

I opened the game again a couple hours later from the desktop shortcut that hasn't changed in 2 years and again I can't create new game. What was in this last update that ruined my desktop shortcut? I'm sure i can test and make another one, but i'm not doing that right now i just want to play before it breaks again. :)

I'll take screenshots or video next time around when it doesn't work and add to this post. I'm kinda curious what happened coding wise with this update that broke my shortcut? Or did you roll some safety thing out thru steam that blocks access that i'm unaware of?

*and the thing is its not like the shortcut is completely broken, it still gets me into the game and saved games work, it's just with new games I can't select anything. They are totally blank.

edit: i don' think it has anything to do with the short cut. see my 2nd post below

Last edited:
Cannot confirm this one at all here - Steam PC running October update and full NFP on Windows 7, and all is fine.
Saved games, new games, restarts - all just fine.

I just made account here to post here. I am having the exact same issue. I have been trying to fix this for hours and have tried everything I can think of to no avail. Full description of the issue:

I tried to start up a new game and everything was blank, just as you have described. The first step I took was to disable all of my mods. After doing this things looked normal as you described I was able to at least choose starting options for the game, however the game would not load past the black "Loading... Please Wait" screen and would bring me back to the menu with the "one or more mods failed to load content" error, despite not having any mods loaded, only DLCs. "Play now" does not work either. I am not loading from any saved configuration either.

The next step I took was to verify the game cache. This did not work. Then, I unsubscribed and deleted all of my installed mods. This did not work.

The next and final step I took was reinstalling the game. I uninstalled, deleting the Civ 6 files present in the Steam Games folder as well as the ones in Documents/My Games. I thought that surely this would fix the issue, because by doing this I literally deleted all Civ 6 files off my computer. I reinstalled, and to my frustration and amazement, the issue still persists.

So, I tried starting a game using the "Play Now" button with absolutely no DLC enabled, and actually got to the leader screen this time, but the screen was bugged and the game instantly crashed (I sent in the crash report). Here's a photo of what the leader screen looked like:
Spoiler bugged leader screen :

Here is lua.log:

Spoiler lua.log :

DebugHotloadCache: GameDebug initialized!
Test: Test.LUA loaded!
JoiningRoom: OnFinishedGameplayContentConfigure() g_waitingForContentConfigure=true
Mods: Failed to create mods browser search context!
JoiningRoom: OnFinishedGameplayContentConfigure() g_waitingForContentConfigure=true
MainMenu: Building Headless Game Setup
MainMenu: Hiding Game Setup
LoadScreen: OnLoadGameViewStateDone
MainMenu: Building Headless Game Setup
MainMenu: Hiding Game Setup
Runtime Error: bad argument #1 to 'table.insert' (table/struct expected, got nil)
stack traceback:
[C]: in function 'table.insert'
A:\Steam Games\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Assets\UI\FrontEnd\LoadScreen.lua:363: in function 'OnLoadScreenContentReady'
[C]: in function 'func'
[C]: in function '(anonymous)'

Honestly I am dumbfounded that the issue is still persisting despite doing a complete wipe and reinstall of Civ 6

Steam PC running October update on Windows 10
I am still having issues with this. There is something wrong here post update. I just started the game again from steam and tried to create a new game and everything was blank even though all my mods were off and only approved dlcs were checked. i clicked disable all and then enable all dlcs again and closed out of the game entirely. I opened through steam again and opened create new game and everything looked fine again. There must be an error with the new update "tech and civic shuffle mode" maybe? because when this wasn't there as an option i didn't have this problem. It seems in order to create new games i have to fiddle with the enable/ disable dlcs and then exit and reopen to get it to look normal.

here is my lua log
DebugHotloadCache: GameDebug initialized!
AdvancedSetup: There are 6 participating players.
AdvancedSetup: Building Game Setup
AdvancedSetup: Player Count Changed
AdvancedSetup: Hiding Game Setup
AdvancedSetup: Building Game Setup

I have no idea what any of this means but i do see the line "Mods: Failed to create mods browser search context!" - which might explain why everything was blank? but the mods were disabled.

Last edited:
Hi Zaire. After hours of troubleshooting last night I was able to get my game to work despite having the same problem as you.

What worked for me is navigating to the Civ 6 folder in Steam Games/steamlibrary/steamapps/common and deleting the entire thing, as well as the folder in Documents/My Games. After doing that, I pressed play and it redownloaded Civ, and viola, it worked this time.

Uninstalling through Steam did not work for me as well as you have said. It seems that the problem for me was that uninstalling through Steam did not completely remove all of the Civ 6 content from the Steam Games/steamlibrary/steamapps/common path (to which I say to Valve.. wtf?!). Anyways, hard deleting all of the content manually instead of using Steam's crappy uninstall feature, and then reinstalling, should do the trick. When I reinstalled, Steam didn't even register that I had uninstalled the game, I just hit "play" and Steam redownloaded the missing files (which was the entire game). Remember to delete both Civ 6 folders, both in Steam Games/steamlibrary/steamapps/common (where the game content is stored) and the one in Documents/My Games (where the mods and saves are stored)

I hope you get your game working!

I'm not sure if we had the exact same problem, (i will look into that though) because when i disabled my mods in-game everything was still blank.(but your problem as wells as mine probs had something to do with mods- even being disabled in-game and still not working. Deleting said mods - then cleared it up for you) but I figured out while editing that video that it was the mod that was messing up the game. (i believe) Even though while ingame when I disable a mod, it is still a question as why it doesn't work and i have to reboot the game with the mod off to clear everything up,
Here is what i had been doing: I get the game to finally work and then enable that one addon i disabled in the beginning for extra maps that i like to use. i then play game for a couple hours (amount of time doesn't matter) and then exit game and shut it down. MISTAKE! so when i log back in that one addon is enabled and the game doesn't work.
It is weird how one addon that worked before now breaks the game- .but that's the life of addons. (mod/ addon- whatever) :D

one way for this to never happen would be to have large, HUUUUGE EARTH maps to begin with! Since that's all i use mods for. :)

Last edited:
another Q (i'll make a note here to remember to test and see) if other mods that are shown disabled in video work. Of course i won't know if its the mod but if they too don't work it might make me wonder if 1) something with the mod interface of civ 6 is now messed up, OR obviously 2) something has changed and all mods need to be updated(this is what I won't know) just a thought. I've also made a inquiry to the mod creator as well just covering all my bases. :) you can ignore this comment until i test it, because i'm tired of wasting 2 hours now on this, it's play Civ time! :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom