1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ 6 is multiplatform (PC, PS4, etc). Is this a reason for concern?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by anandus, Jun 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anandus

anandus Errorist

Apparently Civ 6 on E3 was on a Playstation 4.
    So I was wondering if the fact that Civ 6 will be multiplatform (no doubt coming to the Xbox as well) will be a reason for concern?

And many games also developed for consoles limit the PC-version, be it in graphics, controls, a bad port or otherwise.

On one hand it can be a good thing, a more streamlined UI, the possibility to play a good game with a controller, etc.

On the other hand, this streamlined UI could mean a more cumbersome experience on PC. More clicking, less hotkeys for instance and a less 'deep' UI (military, financial or diplomacy views and info, the 'spreadsheets').

Also I wonder if optimal use will be made of the PC hardware to reduce turn times and load times.
    I don't know the development process and, if it's primarily made for PC and the ported to consoles or vice versa.

If we compare it to Firaxis' other multiplatform strategy game, XCOM, what can we expect?

Should I be concerned or am I exaggerating and worried about a scenario that won't hold true?

2. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

Troubling news.

I hope the PC game isn't dumbed down/streamlined in order to save 2K Games money and effort in porting the game over.

3. Haig

Haig Deity

Well everything I've read and seen about Civ 6 is better than Civ 5 so I am not worried a bit. So many interesting mechanics and features even before expansions, and we dont even know all.

Would civ 5 being on ps4 make it less good? With civ 6 nothing so far indicates "dumbing down".

If it is for consoles they get more sales and more budget for expansions.

4. GMAK2442

GMAK2442 Chieftain

I don't mind if they make a version of CIV6 for console. As long as the pc version don't degrade of it.
    Also, cross platform would give us more players.
    And I think it's a good thing that console players have civ in their collection.

5. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

Civilization 5 wasn't good, anyway ;)

More sales doesn't automatically mean that they will budget more money for the game. Could please the shareholders if there are increased sales with the same budget.

Hopefully, it'll be Civ VI and not Consolization 6. :)

6. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

Well, if that information is current then that's great for the world. So many Console Peasants will see the tons of great Mods and convert to the PC Masterrace. Firaxis is practically doing their best to prevent WW3.

But I agree with the others, everything looks fine so far, so why worry?

Although if anything, game length is the one thing I'd be worried about.

7. GoodSarmatian

GoodSarmatian Jokerfied Western Male

The UI looks good and it's a fair bit more complex than a civ game usually is without at least one expansion. So far it doesn't appear to havy any of the typical downsides of a multi-platform game.

8. AriochIV

AriochIV Colonial Ninja

I view that report with a significant amount of skepticism. I find it hard to believe that they'd be showing Civ VI at E3 on the PS4 when it's not even announced for anything other than the PC. I can't find any corroboration of this claim.

They may have confused it with XCOM2, for which a console port was recently announced. It looks like an error.

Regardless, as GoodSarmation mentioned, the PC UI we're seeing is quite complex. Even if the report is true (which I doubt), I don't see anything to worry about.

9. boghog

boghog Warlord

Anyone hear anything about the Mac release?

10. bite

bite Unofficial Civilization Cartographer Moderator

I've asked the reviewer to clarify over twitter so I'll let you know if they reply, but I have to agree it looks like a typo in the review to me

11. dudikoff

dudikoff Chieftain

Probably a bad copy / paste from another article.

12. Baracoa

Baracoa Chieftain

I Googled the quote "based on a pre-release PlayStation 4 demo of the game at an event where refreshments were provided by" (i.e. minus the references to Civ 6 or 2K) and it returned this article that his colleague posted on the same site about ~9 hours earlier. I'm going to guess he copied the article and then edited the body, name and company but missed the console reference.

13. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

The reviewer was very sloppy and made a big mistake. In one of the E3 interviews, Ed B clearly says that Civ6 will be a PC only release. Also, if you look at the official civ6 page, it only mentions a PC release:

http://franchise.civilization.com/en/games/civilization-vi/
    PLATFORM: PC
    RELEASE DATE: OCTOBER 21, 2016

14. stiiknafuulia

stiiknafuulia King

Tbh I'm a bit miffed if it isn't coming out on PS4... My brother used to play PC games with me, but nowadays he sticks to console games, so we could've played some Civ VI together if this news had been true. If the game had to be dumbed down somewhat for this, I'd have been willing to stand it (as long as it's not too much). Oh well.

15. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

Just wow. What an unbelievable statement! :faint:

Your job as a brother is to bring him back on track, not to accept dumbing down just to be able to play with him. You're failing him. And you're failing humanity!

16. boghog

boghog Warlord

I'll answer my own question in case anyone else is wondering. I've found this tweet:

This was an official answer to a user's question about Mac. It not mentioning any other platform may shed some light on the PS question, too.

17. Haig

Haig Deity

Maybe a mod could change the topic title a bit :lol:

18. bite

bite Unofficial Civilization Cartographer Moderator

Pete Murry has confirmed that "The demo was on PC", the article was in error

Moderator Action: Given this is incorrect I have closed the thread

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.