1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ 6 makes me raze less.

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by GKShaman, May 3, 2017.

?

Do you raze less in Civ 6?

Poll closed Aug 3, 2017.
  1. Yes! I raze cities less too.

27 vote(s)
    42.2%
  2. Nah I raze cities because the AI designs them poorly still.

2 vote(s)
    3.1%
  3. Depends on HOW developed the City is.

10 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. I never raze Cities

25 vote(s)
    39.1%
  1. GKShaman

GKShaman Chieftain

Honestly in my playthroughs in Civ 5 - I'd raze most cities. I hated the 4 gold per turn cost of the courthouse and if I wanted the city to be productive I could just buy a worker, workshop, and market right away with my new city. Heck I could buy a settler too in the late game for little.

Now that costs escalate AND cities need districts to do anything - I keep developed cities more often from other civs.

This seems realistic since when people took over Constantinople and other grand cities - people just renamed it - not completely destroyed the city and rebuilt a new one.

What do you think?

nzcamel likes this.
  2. Ovidious

Ovidious Chieftain

If it is a small city with no districts, I get rid of it. If it has any districts at all, I've been keeping it. It does not seem to matter with the remaining Civs as I am pretty much on permanent denouncement from them after taking the first couple of cities in a war.

GKShaman likes this.
  3. GKShaman

GKShaman Chieftain

Thats a good point. Seems razing a city will last with you for a 1000 years.

4. Leyrann

Leyrann Warlord

Looking for option "I never razed cities".

GKShaman likes this.
  5. Felis Renidens

Felis Renidens Chieftain

My threshold for keeping a city is pretty low. It needs to be really badly positioned for me to raze it. I think I razed most on Civ3 where it was much simpler to raze the other continent than deal with corruption and culture flips.
    But usually I won't raze unless I have a good reason for it.

agonistes likes this.
  6. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

I've razed one in 1000+ hours I believe. Just today.

China settled on some niter, site was in a queer place that left me unhappy with the border layout.

I guess I could have just toggled the border, but mountains were involved. Something about every other mountain in a range belonging to a different civ bothers me.

Ah well.

Its not behavior unique to C6 though. Hmmm. No, actually, I guess the diplo hit does in fact make me a bit kinder (in deed, not thought). I know of at least one other time I didn't raze a city because of the penalty.

nzcamel likes this.
  7. king of nowhere

king of nowhere Chieftain

on the other hand, there are cities built/developed in recent years, like brasilia or many places in siberia, which are doing great without spending forever to build districts. I hate being unable to speed up the time to get a city productive. And I get the feeling that past a certain point in the game, having the city or not makes no difference.

Leyrann likes this.
  8. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

As it should...

Get those internal trade routes boosting the production. That is realistic.

9. LethalLeigh

LethalLeigh Chieftain

The only time I raze cities if they are in dead locations and I have a city or 2 to liberate to get rid of MW penalties. even then the Civ that owned the city will hate me forever.

10. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

I did play one game where I razed every city I could, I was seeing how many warmonger points I could get.
    Apart from that ... never

11. Leyrann

Leyrann Warlord

This is why I myself reduced district cost scaling by a fifth. That way an average late game city takes 10 turns to build a new district, and a production powerhouse that has all trade routes only some three turns, while a new city that gets some trade routes and builders can get up and running faster.

12. Victoria

In the real world if they find a remote place in Canada for oil as an example they will pay builders to go there and get the ice road truckers shipping things in. It does not take long to get a district up.

In game I find some oilfields and it looks productive I'll get a settler there, buy a builder and send a few trade routes there and it does not take long to get a district with the right resources in play, especially with chopping. I keep repeating this sentence for some reason people just do not get that it really does not take long if you know how to play the game. The only thing that looks weird is when you settle it says it's gonna take 150 turns to make a CH.

... but this thread should stay on track... or be razed

Last edited: May 4, 2017
    bbbt and nzcamel like this.
  13. Magma_Dragoon

Magma_Dragoon Reploid

I'd raze capitals if I could

Thibaulthc likes this.
  14. Ovidious

Ovidious Chieftain

You cannot?? If I am remembering correctly, even when I capture a capital city I am given the option to "KEEP CITY", but maybe that means something else? I've always kept capitals so I do not know what would happen if I selected the other option.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  15. Leyrann

Leyrann Warlord

Capitals cannot be razed because they would break domination victory (be the only one still controlling your original capital).

16. Victoria

The other option is unkindly and teasingly greyed out

17. DeutschDachs

DeutschDachs Chieftain

In Civ V i razed all the time because the penalties for having more cities were harsh and the captured city being unproductive for a long while only made that worse. I'd keep larger cities usually though since they'd produce faster.

In every other Civ game I keep as many as possible, only razing cities that are settled in awful locations or would prevent me from getting a resource/natural wonder

nzcamel likes this.
  18. agonistes

agonistes wants his subs under ice!

If you click on it enough times, like for ten minutes, you can change its mind and raze.

19. Victoria

Damn, I got RSI at 9 minutes

nzcamel and agonistes like this.
  20. GKShaman

GKShaman Chieftain

I dont think most Americans even come close to remembering that the British RAZED the American capital Washington DC once in the War of 1812?

I think razing capitals should be remembered. But not some crap early city they built. Also relations matter and America and UK are strongest allies. Why would anyone let that past event lead to denouncements for centuries?

Victoria likes this.