1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ 6 on 2012 MBP

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Macintosh' started by tigerspill, Nov 4, 2016.

1. tigerspill

tigerspill Chieftain

Hi,

I would dearly love to buy Civ 6 for my 2012 MBP - however, it oddest seem to meet the minimum specification on the video card.

I am wondering if it simply won't work at all, or will it just run a bit slow - or what might be the problems I might face.

The spec is
    MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)
    2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
    8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

Is ir worth me buying Civ 6 or will I be totally disappointed?

Thanks

2. Oleary

Oleary OF Supporter

Check this thread: Mac benchmark scores for similar 2012 machines that are running Civ 6. If you decide to purchase it, you can run the benchmark right away. This is a late game autoplay that will give you an idea of what to expect late in the game. Purchased through Steam you have a 2 hour window to decide. Post your benchmarks if it works and you keep so others will know also (please).

3. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

It will run on lowest settings. I have a similar MBP and it's ok. Slow turn times in the late game though, but you can speed things up a bit if you change to strategic mode for the last turns.

Edit: haven't tried maps larger than standard (8 players).

4. zarakand

zarakand Prince

Do you have the dedicate graphics card as well that it switches back and forth from? You can check from Apple-->About this Mac-->System Report.

I've got the 2012 non-retina Pro and it's my "work" machine that I use daily. It also has the Nvidia GT650m graphics card on it, and Civ VI runs okay on low. It's not great and I prefer using my desktop...but when I want a short break or am away from home it works acceptably.