Civ 6 tips and tricks for new players

alecdavis47

Chieftain
  1. When you kill a barbarian scout, the barbarian camp that it spawned from will stop producing units for a while. So make sure to kill all of the scouts quickly so that you can take the barbarian camps out at your leisure.

2. Always attack with your ranged units first. This way your melee units take less damage when attacking, since they will be attacking a weaker opponent.

3. Ranged units deal more damage while standing on hills and shooting over rivers.

4. If you are competing with another civ for suzerian status of a city state, once you become Suzerian, declare war on the civ that is competing with you so that they lose all of their envoys with that city state. edit: this one no longer works. As a commenter below said, whoever you go to war with will regain their envoys once they make peace with the city state

5. When you find a natural wonder, hold your cursor over it and read the natural wonder’s description. Some natural wonders give you combat bonuses or promotion points for moving into adjacent tiles.

6. Units take more damage while embarked than they do on land. A spearman unit that is embarked can usually be killed in a single turn with two archers.

7. Negotiate with the AI during trade deals. If the AI is offering you 8 gold per turn for a resource, try to get 10 or 11 from them. If you have positive relations with that civ, you can sometimes get 12-18 gold per turn for a single resource fairly early in the game.

8. Missionaries can be used as invaluable scouts as they get an absurd amount of movement points per turn and open borders throughout the game.

9. Settling on a luxury resource automatically gives you that resource, even if you have not researched that technology.

10. When you meet a new civ, read their agenda. Some civs have very basic agendas that are easy to complete and could drastically change your game. Gilgamesh likes when you are his friend, so be his friend. He will accept friendship immediately, and could positively change your game for the better. This could be the difference between Gilgamesh slaughtering you or being your greatest ally.

11. If you’re not a war and want to avoid maintenance cost for a larger army, queue your units production with one turn left. This way you can field an army in one turn while avoiding pointless maintenance costs while at peace.

12. Civs cannot dislike you if they haven’t met you yet. If you’re isolated on a small continent with one or two other civs, take them out before you meet everyone else so that everyone else won’t dislike you for it. They can’t call you a warmonger if they don’t know you.

13. Barbarians will generally leave your city alone if you haven’t improved any tiles yet. Tiles that can be pillaged usually draw them within your borders. This knowledge can be helpful in the very beginning of the game, don’t be afraid to venture off with your warrior to explore for the first few turns.

14. Before you declare a war, see if you can get any friendly civs to join the war with you. If you have a stronger military than the friendly civ, they might pay you a lot of gold to go to war alongside them. If they have a stronger military than you, then they might still hand you a lot of gold for some diplomatic points.

15. Be wary of who you give strategic resources like iron and niter to. You could be helping someone build an army that might eventually be used against you. Be careful of who you share your resources with.

I'm sorry, but I can't resist. Despite that there are more experienced players out there who could address some of these points better. My knowledge is based on [GS].

"When you kill a barbarian scout, the barbarian camp that it spawned from will stop producing units for a while. So make sure to kill all of the scouts quickly so that you can take the barbarian camps out at your leisure."

I'm not saying this is wrong, but it's not how I interact with barbarians and scouts. When a barbarian scout finds a city and reports back to its outpost, that outpost will spawn about half-a-dozen units, and head towards that city. After that spawn, the outpost is quiescent a while. I think it eventually generates another scout, which has to re-find a city. But barbarian scouts prefer not to engage, so sometimes you can keep them from finding your city. Or if you know or suspect where the outpost is, you can keep the scout from reporting back. Either way, the outpost doesn't spawn that half-a-dozen. Outposts seem to defend themselves by slowly spawning units, if under attack, but maybe they are slowly spawning anyways, and I just happen to be attacking them. There can be advantages and disadvantages for removing barbarian outposts: they give you era score (for the first few eras) as well as gold, but if removed, somewhere another one will be generated (if possible), and it may not be where you like, whereas you know where this one is.

"Always attack with your ranged units first. This way your melee units take less damage when attacking, since they will be attacking a weaker opponent."

Not always. If your melee unit wins, it moves into the tile of the defeated unit -- you may prefer otherwise. One common scenario for me is that I'm defending a city, e.g. against a barbarian horde like above. I have a melee unit inside the city, and range units behind it. I can attack with the melee unit short of it getting killed, then kill the opposing units with range units. Not only does the melee unit not become exposed, but it's in the best location for healing the fastest. The AI is not smart enough to employ this tactic.

"Ranged units deal more damage while standing on hills and shooting over rivers."

Nope. If you select your range unit, and hover over the opponent unit, you can see the factors that help or hinder each. Hills provide a defensive bonus, not an offensive one. And while melee combat suffers a penalty attacking across a river, there's no effect on range attacks.

"If you are competing with another civ for suzerian status of a city state, once you become Suzerian, declare war on the civ that is competing with you so that they lose all of their envoys with that city state. edit: this one no longer works. As a commenter below said, whoever you go to war with will regain their envoys once they make peace with the city state."

When you declare war on another Civ, your suzerain city-states do also. The other Civ does not lose any envoys, but their envoys don't provide their normal benefit. Well, if that Civ has Amani there, she is ejected, so I suppose that Civ loses those two envoys. But if, say, they had 1 less envoy than you, they could assign one more envoy to match, you'd lose suzerainty, and that city-state would no longer be at war with that Civ. If they assigned 2, they'd have 1 more, gain suzerainty, and that city-state would declare war on you.

However, if that Civ declares war on a city-state, they lose all the envoys they had there. Your being suzerain or not doesn't affect that.

One side-effect of a city-state declaring war on a Civ is that Civ loses its city-state quest.

I'll stop there. :)

One side-effect of a city-state declaring war on a Civ is that Civ loses its city-state quest.

The other is that Amani cannot be send there, as well Amani is withdrawn if already there.
So f you are a suzerein of a city state and see other civ's Amani is preparing to be established, declare

About barbarians - they spawn sth like 5 melee 3 ranged, turn by turn, you may want to be reported by a barb scout if you have god of war pantheon, but in most cases it is better to make sure scout does not see the city.
Many players are unaware that they can influence barbarian scout movement instead of killing it - use zone of control of a warrior or your scout. Barb scout would move in opposite direction

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom