Civ 6 Units Loose all sound

Bryce4040

Chieftain
every game i start begins fine. i can hear every builder build or archer shoot. but as the game goes on almost all unit sound is gone with some exception. reloading the save wont work and i have gone as far as restarting m computer with no success. I have seen other players talk about this problem but i have yet to find a discussion about it. so here is mine. any help will be greatly appreciated.

Same problem here after latest patch. I can solve problem after reloading and I need to reload about every half hour.

I've been trying everything to get rid of this issue in my game, from a full reinstall to changing playback frequencies, nothing seems to work.
It is extremely annoying and it's keeping me from playing; with the game itself forcing me to war all the time i at least expect combat to be a good experience.

I found exact action what trigger this bug in my game. Bug appears after move with frigate in the ocean in certain area. Bug is accompanied with weird graphic glich, map quickly scroll to side, then return. Sometimes frigate turn and head back. Its also occur, when frigate is set to autoexplore. After that, move sounds and battle sounds is missing. Looks like related to audio-positioning, while map have something wrong with linking between areas (continents, map edges?).

After some testing, this bug in my game is definetly triggered by entering any naval (and probably any other unit) to area where is connected left and right sides of map, looks like occur only if area is unrevealed. If i use comand to reveal all, i can enter to this area without this bug.

Update: Not connected directly to entering area, but seeing throug connected side edges of map. Graphic "scroll" glitch occur, when my unit on the "left" side map sees through edge to "right" side map - tesed on frigate with vision range 20 :). Units sounds after that is gone. Weird thing is, if i use reveal map command after bug occur, sounds is back.

So probably, if you dont go to unrevealed edges on the map, and reveal map by avoiding seeing through unrevealed edges, this can avoid this bug. Reveal map command helps to deteremine where sides of map connecting.

this has been happening to me too: a few days ago my units suddenly lost all sound, and nothing i do has been able to restore it. i was roughly in the renaissance era when it happened, but i didn't have frigates and haven't yet hit the edges of the map. i am using mods though so it's possible one of them is causing it.

it's a surprisingly unsettling absence.

Try check edges with reveal map, real map edges not corresponding with area showing in minimap. My bug occur too in renaissance era, when exploring ocean - i reload save before bug and avoid edges and now i am in atomic without problem . Its not related to unit type - in my case, its triggered when any unit is enough close to edge with unrevealed area and see through to "other" side - it can also be triggered when your unit is in autoexplore. I think it can be triggered by land units too, when continent is close to edge. In my map, continent on the "other" side practically touching edge of map. I have mods too, i doubt that this was related.

Last edited:
Just got this bug.

Tried the map reveal option and it cured me.

Guess its a question of which immersion you want to break - sound or exploration.

Just curious... anyone using mods?

Last edited:
After using reveal map, is there a way to turn it off after so you can't see foreign units?

Well, this gives me hope.

I started a GEM TSL Germany game last night. The plan is to build a galley asap and do some testing with the sound bug. The bug occurs when a unit has the side edge of the map in visibility range (for me, it was on the southwest side of Iceland). When this happens, the camera view 'jerks' or 'snaps' quickly. This is, apparently, the sign that the bug has taken effect. For me (at least), the sound didn't actually mute until my next reload. So... I want to test:

1) if the camera jerk will occur 100% of the time I have visibility of the edge of the map, and
2) if the jerk occurs, does it 100% mean a mute will follow.

I predict a lot of reloading in my near future.

I point out that I've circumnavigated the glove many times on GEM prior to the Australian patch. I've settled on Iceland. No problems.

so i just noticed that the bug has corrected itself for me. i'm not hugely further along, but perhaps i successfully circumnavigated the globe?

hopefully whatever is causing this will be fixed in the next patch.

so i just noticed that the bug has corrected itself for me. i'm not hugely further along, but perhaps i successfully circumnavigated the globe?

hopefully whatever is causing this will be fixed in the next patch.

Whatever else you can add, even further supposition, would be great.

How many turns did you play? Was it on a reload? I'm also curious if a satellite launch would fix it... but I don't even know if you can launch a satellite with all of the victory conditions disabled.

What map? Any mods?

Huzzah! Came back for me too! Wasn't even a reload. Had a slight delay when I ordered a ship to move, then sound was back. Wasn't due to circumnavigation.

Hmmm... I did, however, cross back over the map border.

It is also triggered by diplomatic agreement to reveal capital cities - if AI capital is on other continent (and it probably depend on which side of map is other continent) , scroll glitch also appear and units sounds after that is missing.

Huzzah! Came back for me too! Wasn't even a reload. Had a slight delay when I ordered a ship to move, then sound was back. Wasn't due to circumnavigation.

Hmmm... I did, however, cross back over the map border.

I have the exact same problem, saved at the point wich it happened. how did you manage to let the sound of the units come back? I tried a few things but nothing seems to work out. with me, once it is gone it stays gone.
I now play like people thought in medieval times, you litterarly fall of the earth if you cross a line. In this case, those people were so right! :)

by the way, to the developers read this stuff so they can solve it or do we need to report it somewhere else?

Okay, just to confirm, in 2 different games, both on Ged's giant map (which I mention only so you can be sure of where a 'fix' is if u happen to be playing that map), I lost sound at the map edge - here on southwest side of Iceland.

Sound came back in both games as I sent a galley southbound at the position where Capetown would spawn (southwest Africa) - which, oddly, is not near a map edge.

So seems fairly certain sound pops back on due to positioning, but I have no idea why or how to force it on any other map.

As noted here and elsewhere, there may be multiple ways to cure it (circumnavigation, satellite, debug reveal, using diplomacy to see foreign capitals).

edit: someone could open giant earth in editor and look at the Capetown hexes to see if there is something 'invisible' there.

Top Bottom