Civ 6's Art Style - Do You Like It?

Do you like Civ 6's art style?

• Yes - I like Civ 6's art style can be improved

• No - I think Civ 6's art style can be improved

Results are only viewable after voting.

The Civs 6

King
Simple enough. Please indicate with "yes" whether you like Civ 6's art style, and "no" if you think it can be improved.

I wish people wouldn't overcomplicate their polls with extraneous asides to the "yes" or "no." It's possible to like the art style while still thinking it can be improved.
Yes, that's exactly the problem I had with this poll. The way the answers are written is so confusing. On a side note, not addressed to anyone in particular, there is a mod that gives Civ 6 Terrain a more realistic look. :)

Yes, that's exactly the problem I had with this poll. The way the answers are written is so confusing. On a side note, not addressed to anyone in particular, there is a mod that gives Civ 6 Terrain a more realistic look. :)

While it sounds like a lot of people in the past have critiqued the terrain, I actually quite like it. Just looking at a map of Civ 6 is visually stunning especially if there are natural wonders nearby.

While it sounds like a lot of people in the past have critiqued the terrain, I actually quite like it. Just looking at a map of Civ 6 is visually stunning especially if there are natural wonders nearby.
Oh, you must mean the Civ 6 Leader art style, then. I still recommend the mod, it's good. :)

Oh, you must mean the Civ 6 Leader art style, then. I still recommend the mod, it's good. :)

I am posting this as a general poll to encompass all aspects of the aesthetics and art style decisions of Civ 6, terrain and leader art styles are certainly major aspects of that.

And I'll change the poll choices to make them clearer. I'm not getting rid of the third choice though. edit - apparently I can't do that.

Moderator Action: Third poll choice deleted -- Browd

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that Civ 5 in the leader department might be better with the overall models and the backgrounds with some. But at least Civ 6 has great leader animations.

I have poor eyesight, and VI's bright, vivid color palettes overall saved me from a lot of difficulties, especially for terrains and districts.

My main complaint is that the Hills should be more hilly, the shape of it is too smooth and the shadow effects are not distinct. Maybe we will have true terrain elevations in the future civ games.

As for leaders - well, as someone who tend to use static leaders, I would happily let someone else to open this can of worms.

And I'll change the poll choices to make them clearer. I'm not getting rid of the third choice though. edit - apparently I can't do that.
Yeah, that's also one of my main gripes about the poll systems. You can't remove or edit choices in polls, and that is really frustrating.

I have poor eyesight, and VI's bright, vivid color palettes overall saved me from a lot of difficulties, especially for terrains and districts.

My main complaint is that the Hills should be more hilly, the shape of it is too smooth and the shadow effects are not distinct. Maybe we will have true terrain elevations in the future civ games.

As for leaders - well, as someone who tend to use static leaders, I would happily let someone else to open this can of worms.

Oh yes thank you! I wasn't even thinking about that, and it's not a big deal, but sometimes 1) I can't tell if a hill is actually a hill; and 2) sometimes the little info screen on terrain that appears when you hover over the hex DOESNT APPEAR. It actually comes up a lot more than it sounds like, especially if you are playing as the Gauls/Inca.

Oh yes thank you! I wasn't even thinking about that, and it's not a big deal, but sometimes 1) I can't tell if a hill is actually a hill; and 2) sometimes the little info screen on terrain that appears when you hover over the hex DOESNT APPEAR. It actually comes up a lot more than it sounds like, especially if you are playing as the Gauls/Inca.

To my knowledge, a lot of people is using that Civ V visual mod for VI (also mentioned by @Duke William of Normandy I think) because of exactly that. In the original VI visuals it is hard to tell if a hill is a hill, while the V-style visual mod give hills more edges and shadows to make them distinguishable.

- forests look like they're balding
- hills I have to squint to see
- I disabled leader animations because I got sick of Ferdinand of Spain jumping around trying to stab me.
other than that it's not too bad
I would not go back to Civ V, though, because it was a bit too bland and brown

- forests look like they're balding
- hills I have to squint to see
- I disabled leader animations because I got sick of Ferdinand of Spain jumping around trying to stab me.
other than that ti's not too bad
I would not go back to Civ V, though, because it was a bit too bland and brown
For your terrain issues, once again, I recommend the Civ 5 Environment Skin mod. Solves those two problems you mentioned. :)

Definitely not my cup of tea. It's quite good, of course, but the things I dislike are:

- Map models (cities, districts, improvements) a bit too oversized.
- Bland terrain textures.
- Sparse forests.
- Leaders in "Pixar" style.

I definitely prefer the improvement and cities of Humankind, the textures and forests of the Civ V skin mod, and I'm playing VP now, and I like the leaders from Civ V much more.

I actually quite prefer Civ VI's leaders. The Civ V models tended to just fall in the uncanny valley for me, and VI's feel a lot more expressive. The things that bug me a bit are the forests (as have been expanded upon at some length here already) and the enormous, hulking units that tower over buildings.

I actually quite prefer Civ VI's leaders. The Civ V models tended to just fall in the uncanny valley for me, and VI's feel a lot more expressive. The things that bug me a bit are the forests (as have been expanded upon at some length here already) and the enormous, hulking units that tower over buildings.
For the Unit problem, there's a mod that rescales Unit Formations and Sizes. Total War, something like that. Look it up, and I'm sure you'll find it. :)

As for the Civ 5 Leaders, in my opinion, they blend a bit TOO much into the background. It's a bit harder to notice them and the gesture they make. Civ 6, on the other hand, I can see everything the Leaders do. This might just be my personal bias due to me playing Civ 6 as my first Civ game. :)

Top Bottom