Civ 7 Military rework

trythis

Chieftain
Hope everyone is doing well. It appears that Civ 6 is winding down with possibly a patch or 2 left before being complete. Now is the time to enjoy Civ 6 for what is has become and to start to look forward to Civ 7.

The debate between Stacks of Doom (SOD) and 1 Unit per Tile (1UPT) has raged on since the beginning of Civ 5. My question is why can't the player decide what works best for them withing the same game? Here is how I envision it being implemented.

The game starts out with a scout and a settler. Once the first city is settled you get a encampment district. You decide if it is placed inside the city limits or you can place it on a tile like now. The encampment district can be used for range attack with walls built. If the encampment district is placed outside the city limits then the city has no range attack except from the units placed in the city.

The encampment district will be responsible for ranged attack as already indicated. Also it will have its own queue that will be responsible for producing all ground units, upgrading units and promotions.

Once your first encampment district is placed then you queue your first warrior (ground unit). You will decide how much production is placed in your encampment district and what is placed in your city queue. You can have it where you prioritize the encampment district production, the city production or have it split evenly.

After your first ground unit is build you may or may not be able to build another ground unit. That should be based upon your population, recruiter (new unit in the game), government type and or policies later on in the game.

Once the criteria is met for the next unit to be built you can have 2 options. The first is to add another unit to the existing unit or at this point what I would consider a ground division. The first division would have to be brought back to the encampment district for a set number of turns while the second unit is trained/added. For simplistic terms for this example they are both melee units and the melee strength of the first unit is 10 and now adding the second melee unit to the division the melee strength is now 20. The second option would be to add a second division by not adding a second unit to the first division. You now have 2 separate melee divisions at a strength of 10.

Now archery is discovered and you have you decided to go the 2 separate divisions route. Again you have options. Either you can go and create a third division and this would be a ranged division. For simplistic purposes again a strength of 10. Or, you bring one of your first 2 divisions into the encampment district and like before you will need to wait a certain number of turns and now that division has a ranged strength of 10 and a melee strength of 10 also.

If you have both ranged and melee division the order of attacking another division should be ranged and then melee. Each division should have the option to not attack with the melee if they are there for defending purposes only.

You can continue to add as many units as you wish to each division once the criteria is met to add that unit. If you want a heavy melee division go for it. You want more of a ranged division then to support the melee division have at it.

Once you have a second city then it is up to you if you want a encampment district in that city or not and so on for each of the next settled cities.

This will give yo the option to either build a few strong divisions or several smaller divisions as the game progresses. I would think the larger the division the longer it takes to move on the map and the smaller the division the quicker it should move.

Now let us say you have your first 2 ground divisions built but do not have the criteria to build the next unit. So now is the time to move a division into the encampment district and for a set number of turns it needs to stay in the encampment district and then it gains a promotion. For upgrades, again the division is moved into the encampment district for a set number of turns and also there is gold cost for the upgrade along with any special resource that may be needed.

Once you move the division into the encampment district and chose to add another unit to it, add a promotion, or upgrade it, the division will not be able to move from that spot until that action is complete, so chose wisely when to do it. You may be able to place a great general in the encampment district and this would reduce the time and/or cost of unit production, promotions, and upgrades.

You could use this same set up for the harbor district for the naval unit and the Aerodome district for Air units.

I am basically setting up a general layout that I am sure could be expanded upon . I also feel that this could strike a happy balance between the SOD crowd and the 1UPT crowd.

If you read all of this thanks for taking the time and I would be interested in knowing what you all think.

Stay health and safe and have a great day!

I would like to bring back the sprawled out city from Civ IV. Also the wild animal barbarians from Civ IV. Graphically I hope to see a more realistic looking map. Perhaps taking a page from SimCity or Cities Skylines for the true city-feel. Bring back the World Maps from Civ III. These were essential mid-game features. Bring back Naval Transports. In Civ II, III, and IV. these were vital in not only amphibious warfare, but also embarking settlers and workers to build cities overseas. How about a more historically accurate starting age. Perhaps 10,000 BCE to be precise. Since the major continents had been reached by 13,000 years ago. And let's have slower time increments for the pre-modern age eras. That gives more time to develop a Civ in order to be ready for the Modern Ages.

Top Bottom