Civ AI performance

andersw

Emperor
I read about AI performance etc in patch notes but wonder some regarding AI civ balancing.
Carthage and Inca are pretty much always top dogs in my games, and I see similar from photo journals and lets plays, are they supposed to be that dominant?
There are some other that can perform well, Spain and Russia usually does well enough but not as a similar reliable basis.
Or does it vary with difficulties?
Sweden, Mongolia and Rome are at best in the middle but more often than not really bad performing civs.

I probably don't play enough games to have valid stats for it and I can see some changes happening in longer games (I play warmonger which often ends in industrial) but usually it's the science monsters/wonder hoarders (often both at the same time) pulling ahead and staying ahead.

What are your experiences?
How does it look when this is simulated?

Edit:
Hrm I wrote Inca but meant Maya, maybe thats part of it mix up of memories ...

Last edited:
In my several games, when I picked Venice and Aztec for AI to test it, they were underperforming heavily. I play on Emperor and they usually start on other continent, so I'm not a factor.

In my several games, when I picked Venice and Aztec for AI to test it, they were underperforming heavily. I play on Emperor and they usually start on other continent, so I'm not a factor.

Yes I turned off Venice because they give too much land to me or AI neighbour.

I read about AI performance etc in patch notes but wonder some regarding AI civ balancing.
Carthage and Inca are pretty much always top dogs in my games, and I see similar from photo journals and lets plays, are they supposed to be that dominant?
There are some other that can perform well, Spain and Russia usually does well enough but not as a similar reliable basis.
Or does it vary with difficulties?
Sweden, Mongolia and Rome are at best in the middle but more often than not really bad performing civs.

I probably don't play enough games to have valid stats for it and I can see some changes happening in longer games (I play warmonger which often ends in industrial) but usually it's the science monsters/wonder hoarders (often both at the same time) pulling ahead and staying ahead.

What are your experiences?
How does it look when this is simulated?

Edit:
Hrm I wrote Inca but meant Maya, maybe thats part of it mix up of memories ...
Some civs are really dominant in the early game, such as Carthage and Songhai. And China. Some others come to power in the mid game, if they were not destroyed before, such as Austria, Poland and Portugal. Some others just surprise in the end game if they weren't screwed up before, such as Arabia and India.
Meanwhile there are high risk - high reward civs such as Denmark and Assyria. If they gear war successfully they can snowball hard, but if they don't then they won't be a menace to anyone, ever.
In all, there's enough variability to make each game feel unique.

Top Bottom