Civ BE on laptop?

nerovipusqc

Chieftain
Hi new to the site... If this subject is already covered sorry.

I was wondering if anyone was planning getting the game for a laptop. I am thinking about getting it but wondering if my Asus G73JW will be able to handle it. Thanks !

I looked up the specs of your computer and yes, it should be able to run the game on high. My laptop is about as powerful as yours and I can run Civ 5 on max settings without a problem. As long as you don't crank up the anti-aliasing too much you'll be fine.

The minimum and recommended specs as listed on Steam are:
MINIMUM:
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8 GHz or AMD Athlon X2 64 2.0 GHz
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: 256 MB ATI HD3650 or better, 256 MB nVidia 8800 GT or better, or Intel HD 3000 or better integrated graphics
DirectX: Version 11
Hard Drive: 8 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c‐compatible sound card
Additional Notes: Other Requirements: Initial installation requires one-time Internet connection for Steam authentication; software installations required (included with the game) include Steam Client, Microsoft Visual C++2012 Runtime Libraries and Microsoft DirectX.

RECOMMENDED:
Processor: 1.8 GHz Quad Core CPU
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: AMD HD5000 series or better, nVidia GT400 series or better, or Intel IvyBridge or better integrated graphics
DirectX: Version 11
Hard Drive: 8 GB available space
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c‐compatible sound card

Nerovipusqc, while I don't recall a previous thread about a laptop, there's actually a thread on this forum dealing with will BE run on a (Windows) tablet.
So, that alone makes the chances it will run on a regular laptop very good. :)
Camikaze has posted the official specs.

As a practical matter, performance should be really close to what you experienced in Civ V (Direct X 11 version)

http://www.amazon.com/G750JM-DS71-17-3-inch-Gaming-GeForce-Graphics/dp/B00IKF2H12/ref=psdc1_t1_B00COQIKB4_B00IKF2H12

I bought this to replace my last laptop which I used for Civ V almost exclusively (1700 hours since).

Quite frankly, this is more than enough to handle most games, including Rome II on near ultra settings.

On the ROG rig, I play huge games with 41 CS and max AI comfortably on max settings MINUS movement animations...I look forward to the even larger maps BE has to offer.

If money isn't a problem and BE is going to be your primary reason to laptop, go for it.

I have that exact laptop and Civ V runs great on it. I suspect that BE will be fine.

Ok thanks everyone. I was wondering , because i know the requirments but i find it hard to be sure that the Game will run properly. And I don't have the money to change laptop ( I know a desktop is better but I don't have the room for one yet).

I seem to have a problem loading my game on laptop. The message is "directx 11 failed to start. Please ensure your system possesses a suitable graphics device with properly configured drivers". My graphics card is Nvidia Geforce GT 520M 1GB. I think that's where the problem lies but I do not know how to fix this, besides getting a new computer.

Specs:
Processor: Intel Core (TM) i5-2430M CPU @ 2.4 gHz (4 CPU's)
Memory: 8GB RAM
Directx: 11
Hard Drive: 88.2GB available space
Sound card: don't know

I've played civilization 5 for 1000 hours on this computer, using directx 9. I could not use Directx 10 for civ 5.

One thing that's always worth checking is to update your graphics card drivers. That has a chance of working without having to buy a new computer.

One thing that's always worth checking is to update your graphics card drivers. That has a chance of working without having to buy a new computer.

Ok, where might I be able to do this? I read another thread somewhere and according to maddjin, the game doesn't accept nvidia graphics cards or something.

Ok, where might I be able to do this? I read another thread somewhere and according to maddjin, the game doesn't accept nvidia graphics cards or something.

I believe you can just go to NVidia's site, and you enter your video card to get the latest driver for your graphics card family.

That thread was specifically about the AMD API (Mantle), which does not work with nvidia. Direct X 11 works with some nvidia cards.

Update: ok, so I went to nvidia, searched for my graphics driver, it had a new update on the 22nd October, downloaded it, now it seems to be a tad worse, the game won't run. It didn't even show the message. Have I missed something?

According to this page, your Nvidia card supports DX11.

Possibly your laptop is using its integrated video (assuming it has one) instead of the Nvidia card. To help us to determine the problem, please post your DxDiag.txt file. Follow these instructions for how to create a DxDiag.txt file:

Hit the "Windows key" and "R", type in Dxdiag, hit enter. A menu will appear, with a save option at the right bottom. Save the file and attach it here. This provides us with essential information about your system.

Thanks for posting your DxDiag. It shows that your system is, as suspected, using the integrated video. From near the beginning of the DxDiag file:

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
DAC type: Internal

instead of the NVIDIA GeForce GT 520M, which is listed further down the DxDiag file under System Devices.

Do you know how to switch the two video devices yourself? I think you want to look for something called "switchable graphics." If not, please post again and I'm sure that we can figure this out. The same problem used to come up with Civ5.

No, I do not know how to switch the graphics on my computer.

As for Svet's advice, which I had already carried out, should I rollback the update? I bookmarked this link as a reference for myself in case it made matters worse.

When you go to Control Panel, do you have a NVIDIA Control Panel icon? if so, is there a section called 3D Settings, with a suboption of Manage 3D Settings? If that appears for you, that section allows you to specify what graphics option (integrated or NVIDIA card) will be used for each installed program/game.

According to my Nvidia control panel, it says that my preferred graphics processor is on auto-select, with the tab giving me the options of either integrated graphics or high-performance nvidia processor. So do I lock in the latter?

Top Bottom