1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ BE wont be that great of a game.

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by KradDrol1, Oct 16, 2014.

1. KradDrol1

KradDrol1 Chieftain

Hello community!
    I have heard a lot of negative comments about Beyond Earth recently. Some are saying its going to be a worse version of Civ V, or that everyone should just wait for Civ6 to come out. Some are saying that they are going to wait to buy this game till they know if its going to be good. Very ignorant thinking.

The Civ series has been great. They have continued improved the game with every new version that has come out. Civ as a series had only had one design limitation. Staying true to history. Beyond Earth removes these limitations giving the Civ designers the ability to use the best game design possible. This is already a better strategy game then Civ V. More meaningful choices from the load out, unit selection and tech web. Better, more strategic expionage and trading. More advanced strategic culture tree.

Without the historical limitations that the older Civ games have. Beyond Earth has the mechanics and game design that Sid Meier and the entire Firaxis staff chose to advance the genera. Most likely if there is another Civ game, they will use a lot of what we see in Beyond Earth to start their new game. Anyone waiting for their next game instead of playing BE now, will be 2 generations behind.

Of course bugs and glitches will be found. Game probably won't have perfect balance day one, same with any Civ game that's come out. Whoever does not buy this game day one is missing out on the greatest and soon to be most popular Civ game ever made.

Time to go pre order the game!

2. HecatesLover

HecatesLover Chieftain

Waiting to buy is smart no matter what the game. I will never ever under any circumstances discourage someone from being cautious with their purchases.

That said, this forum has the least negativity in regards to your post anywhere. You are effectively preaching to the choir. People here know what the game is like and know if they want to buy or not.

3. Gort

Gort Emperor

From watching MadDjinn's stream I have a few worries about the game as it stands:

1. Trade routes are really strong. You can get a dozen production and half-a-dozen food per route no problem - it looks like trade depots are the #1 thing to build in every city, and keeping your internal routes filled up is essential to playing at all well. Trouble is, I don't think the AI knows this.

2. The AI still can't move units and shoot with them, which is a massive disadvantage in stuff like naval warfare.

3. The AI still doesn't know that it can't take a city without melee units, so it'll just bombard them over and over.

4. Ships use their (horrible) melee strength to defend against ranged attacks. This means a ship shooting an identical ship will result in a dead ship every time. Stupid, hopefully a bug they'll fix though.

5. The covert op "coup" seems way better than anything an affinity gives you - the others are really cool and flavourful, but "halve the city's population", "destroy the city's tile improvements" and "attack the city with siege worms" are all mechanically weaker than "steal the city". Once you own the city you can do whatever you want with it - sell it to another Civ, burn it down, whatever. Maybe the affinity covert ops need to require less intrigue, maybe level 4 instead of level 5?

6. The AI is still horrible wherever water is involved.

I've still got it preordered, because I know I'm going to play the heck out of it.

4. DevilDude

DevilDude Chieftain

Does the AI know that you're the one that performed the op with the affinity intrigues? it doesn't seem to know with any of the others, but it's obvious with coup since the city goes over to you. Maybe the advantage of the affinity ops is that you can perform them on nearby civs without completely nuking your relations.

5. Seek

Seek Deity Supporter

Gotta say, the thread title is a little confusing...

6. Japper007

Japper007 Prince

I already pre-ordered, because I'm weak like that, but I still think waiting it out is wise. Especially since a lot of players were, shall we say... disappointed by Civ 5 at release (I wasn't among them though, I sometimes even play a Vanilla game just to change things up), so I get that some players want to see Firaxis prove itself again.

Some skepticism is healthy, especially in today's hype-filled and often disappointing AAA market.

7. Lay_Lay

Lay_Lay King

We should probably stop referring to it as A.I.
    They are Computer Player 1-8.
    And of course the Computer Player has no clue about the basics of the combat system that his own creators also created, some of the victory conditions he is totally unable to achieve, and he is completely incapable of learning anything over time.
    Yeah, that's not what I think of when I think A.I.

8. Hinkle2K

Hinkle2K 2K Games Staff

This thread is WAY different than I expected after reading that headline. :D

I think it's smart to wait to purchase games no matter what because there are eventually sales and I like to read reviews etc. But, for studios I really love, I often pre-order their games because it helps guide the studio's future endeavors. If I want more of Game X then pre-ordering Game X is about the best thing I can do to ensure I get more Game X.

9. SupremacyKing

SupremacyKing Prince

What VC's are you talking about? We saw FI almost get Transcendence in Maddjinn's KP game. Maddjinn even said that the AI can win the game. Presumably, the only VC that the AI will have issues with is Domination since it involves combat. But clearly Transcendence or Contact or one of the Affinity victories, the AI is able to achieve pretty easily.

10. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I plan to purchase the game after release. Partly because I like to hear other gamers review it first, but also because I'm going to be out of town till the end of the month, so why bother. [emoji14]

11. Bkeela

Bkeela Warlord

Maybe the DLC bonus is incentive enough? With the advent of let's plays, reviews are irrelevant. Why rely upon someone else's opinion when you can observe typical game play for yourself? And with MadDjinn's let's plays, the question of whether or not someone moderately interested in Beyond Earth should buy or not should be a foregone conclusion.

12. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

The build MadDjinn is playing isn't necessarily the release build. I'm fine with the gameplay. I want reviews on bugginess and balance.

And the Exoplanet pack doesn't appeal to me very much.

13. MadDjinn

MadDjinn Deity

unless you're planning on reading those reviews here, you're unlikely to find them out there.

14. Nick31

Nick31 Prince

From watching MadDjinn's enjoyable LPs, I certainly have a range of feelings, myself. They really have tried hard to have lots of 'cool' things in this game... lots of exploration, lots of buildings, lots of unusual military, et al. Going through this game will undoubtedly be fun.

Obviously, the caveat is that one wonders how much tweaking this game needs for even remotely serious players. In that sense, I have a hard time buying this game super quickly, although if general feedback is not too buggy, then perhaps I may speed it up.

I will say that I have high eventual hopes for CivBe once they have lots of time to balance and expand this game. They've certainly tried hard, even if perhaps they've (again) neglected AI combat and strategy.

15. Pyramid Head

Pyramid Head Chieftain

Judging by recent streams CivBE is a dumbed down and reskinned version of CivV with same idiotic AI we have in CivV.

16. Breezin

Breezin Warlord

I played the game at Firaxicon and I agree that the game does feel a lot like Civ V, just with a different skin. Certainly, there are twists but I'm not sure if there are enough changes to make it great.

I can't remember too much about Alpha Centauri but from what I remember, it was definitely a very different experience from Civ II.

That being said, I only had an hour with the game.

I do hope they flesh out diplomacy a lot more. I didn't get a good feel for it when I played.

17. Gort

Gort Emperor

I'm curious - what things do you think are "dumbed down"? Agreed on the AI - it's the same as Civ 5, down to the same bugs and problems. (IE: Can't move and shoot, doesn't know how to take cities)

18. Pyramid Head

Pyramid Head Chieftain

Lack of AI improvement, rudimentary diplomacy, CivV-style neverending popup notification spam, lack of any attempt ot fix numerous 1UPT problems, global happ...health.
    Overall it couldbereleased as a graphics and tech mod.

19. Gort

Gort Emperor

Right, but all those things are the same as in Civ 5, so how is this game dumbed down compared to Civ 5? I agree that those things are dumb, but they can't make BE more dumb if they're in both games!

20. Tomice

Tomice Passionate Smart-Ass

I don't know why people act as if there has ever been a strategy game with significantly better AI. Sure it's a nuisance, but AI's are extremely limited, it's never been better and probably won't change anytime soon.

Our brain is better than any computer constructed so far, and we think about complex moves or about founding a city for several seconds. The AI has less than a second per turn for all actions.

Making the AI more competitive would also mean sacrificing a lot of gameplay elements they simply have trouble understanding.