1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ BE wont be that great of a game.

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by KradDrol1, Oct 16, 2014.

1. GAGA Extrem

GAGA Extrem Emperor

You have to give Wiz (main AI dev from Pdox) credit: The AI in EU4 is significantly better compared to EU3. It merges armies, allies coordinate their stacks - I have managed to lose several wars as a major nation like Spain or France. That is quite a feat for the little robots. :scan:

2. lobosan

lobosan Warlord

Pyramid Head - what's your take on the Caveman2Cosmos Civ4 mod?
    It may not have the greatest AI but it made me very happy with hugely improved memory management, advanced unit automation, extended eras, and optional features (just a fan - no affiliation with the mod team).

I tried Civ5 with each new DLC release and never could get into it. Well, Firaxis got my money then but I will not consider CivBE until it's on sale.

3. Breezin

Breezin Warlord

The fact that the AI seems uninproved (to coin a term) didn't bother me as much as the fact that diplomacy was not any better.

When Alpha Centauri came out the diplomacy was my favorite change from Civ II. I was hoping for a similar improvement but I didn't notice anything.

That being said, I've bought the game, I will play the game, and I most certainly will enjoy the game. Unfortunately, I fear the game will leave me wanting with regards to advancements beyond Civ V.

Civ V would have been perfect if it only had more interesting diplomacy. Given that, it still is pretty close. Firaxis is a great studio.

4. cooldude1128

cooldude1128 Prince

I'm going to greatly enjoy the many new improvements. One of my favorite things about Civ is feeling as if I'm actually building an empire's infrastructure, and thus I like a lot of improvement options, and good-looking ones at that.

5. cain3456

cain3456 Prince

Please. We are talking about Firaxis, a company that managed to mess up the Pirates! and Colonization remakes. And now you trust them with remaking Alpha Centauri? I don't.

6. Greybane

Greybane Chieftain

BE isn't about remaking Alpha Centauri.

7. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

Hmnn, and yet Karadoc has managed to not only make the AI's in his mod (K- Mod, Civ IV BTS) extremely competitive, but has also maintained a great deal of the game play elements. So your statement is a bit of a strawman.

Additionally, had Firaxis actually kept their promise of "The most moddable Civ ever" and fully released the appropriate codes necessary for modders, it's entirely possible that Civ V could have been elevated well beyond the crap fest that it was when released.

8. Lord Shadow

Lord Shadow General

Leaving aside the blunder that's saying this is a SMAC remake, and while the quality of Civ4 Colonization is debatable (mods aside), this is the first time I hear Pirates! was also allegedly "messed up".

9. Greizer85

Greizer85 Emperor

It's a 'humorous' pirate game (yarr! arr!), instead of a serious one, like the original (to be fair, the graphics contribute to this to a significant degree; and you couldn't really make them 2D these days). Whether that is messed up or not is a matter of taste. I enjoyed the new Pirates!, but it didn't have the lasting appeal of the old one. Granted that a part of it is down to nostalgia, but not all. The music alone is a huge immersion factor in the Amiga version... I can hear the start music in my head as I type this -- whereas I can't remember any tune from the remake.

As for Civ BE, I was afraid they'd do nothing to the AI, and as a result I won't be getting the game. Had I known how bad the Civ V AI'd be even after all the patches, I'd have re-considered getting it as well.

10. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

As someone who modded both civ 4 and 5 I can say that civ 5 has just as much if not more potential for modding as civ 4. Whether or not modding teams have/will get together to use that potential is a different matter.

11. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

I believe Drakarska is referring to the aprox 2 1/2 year delay between release of Vanilla Civ V and the C++ DLL source code (compared to only 1 year between release of Vanilla Civ IV and it's C++ DLL source code) and / or how messy the Civ V C++ source code is.

12. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

Correct. My apologies for not being more clear, and thank you for the save ;).

13. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

Ah OK, I would have to agree with you on that. Although we have had the DLL source for 2 years now, and some amazing things are being worked on now regarding AI and some core mechanics.

14. Resipsa

Resipsa King

Implying that starving a city isn't a conscious and viable choice. It's not my fault you cant look at the city screen once your city grows in pop. That should be what you do for effiecent play anyway. Select production focus, and manually lock tiles on growth or whatever. The production gets counted at the start and when you lock tiles on food you don't starve.
    Moderator Action: Please watch your tone, while negative opinions are allowed, portions that would cause a negative reaction are prohibited.
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

15. CyberTyrant

CyberTyrant Emperor

:nono: You can't be serious.

16. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

Exactly... and some people aren't waiting until they know if it is good.
    Some people are waiting until it becomes good (after all the patches, expansions, dlcs) that balance the game and add decent mechanics/fix the worst flaws in the AI, etc.

17. GeoModder

GeoModder Deity

Buying a game at the time it comes out offers a gamer the most for his buck. From the bugged release to the post-release patch and eventually to its last glorious expansion/patch (with all the unavoidable emotional turmoil at each stage). :D

18. Memoryjar

Memoryjar Emperor

I liked and still like Civ V for its 1upt. I hope, I'll like BE for its aliens, health and wide approach. I'm bored by barbarians, unhappiness and tall games. Roll on Friday ! :D

Indeed, confused title.

19. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

That depends on if he will give the game up as soon as the next version comes out.
    (or if he is playing for multiplayer scene that will fade out as the game gets older) etc. or if he enjoys the hype of getting a new game.

Most for your buck can be waiting for the entire thing to go on sale/free and then playing it while the next one has been released/is being expanded on.

(basically get Civ 4 when Civ 5 is released, etc.)

*or she

20. Guardian_PL

Guardian_PL Emperor

SMAC is miles away from Civ2. Graphics improvement is undeniably nice but I mean the design - depth added to every faction, the overall feel built in by the music, quotes, sounds, the tech tree. Civ 2 was awesome, SMAC was epic and boy how much time I've spent playing them :D