1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Civ BE wont be that great of a game.

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by KradDrol1, Oct 16, 2014.

1. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

It is in my eyes. Who wants the same old game designed wearing a science fiction disguise? They'll have to show me this worth my while. Does the AI know how to use 1UPT mechanics now or not?

2. Breezin

Breezin Warlord

Given how closely BE plays to Civ V I worry about this too. Hopefully, the new mechanics make up for the similarities. 48 ish hours and we'll see.

3. Eisenhart

Eisenhart Warlord

There's a free demo coming up on release that's turn-locked.

I suggest you guys try it out and see for yourselves. :D

You don't have to buy it yet, and you can try first. Fun, isn't it?

4. ThERat

ThERat Deity

I shall try the demo, got badly burned by the abomination called CivV. Not gonna buy another Firaxis game on release.

5. Gort

Gort Emperor

There was a demo for Civ 5 at release as well, so you shouldn't have been burned by that either.

I think people are going to have to pick their reason to complain about Beyond Earth - either it's the exact same game as Civ 5 and is therefore bad, or it's a new Firaxis strategy game, and is therefore bad until two expansions have been released.

It can't be both.

6. nokmirt

nokmirt Emperor

I am going to try the demo too. And see what this is made of. If I like what I see then I'll buy it. It does look interesting and I love the techweb.

7. The_Reckoning

The_Reckoning Prince

AFAIK the demo will be turn-locked - the AI doesn't really show its quality until quite a ways in, and there's meant to be more PvE in the early game. Depending on how many turns you get, it might not give the game a fair representation, either masking the bad AI or hiding the quality of its 'late game' (which could be the better half, too).

8. ThERat

ThERat Deity

If the demo does give you the wrong impression, then it does a poor job of being a demo.

And I doubt that the AI will show its quality the longer the game lasts. At least, that's not my experience with the AI in Civ games

9. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

So call me stupid, but many is the time that the Civ AI has whipped me on King. I play for fun, not for money or OCD so that level of AI performance is plenty fine for me. Your mileage may vary. :D

10. ThERat

ThERat Deity

I didn't say that you can't get whipped, I got my fair share of it too. And doubtless to say, the Civ4 AI is much better than Civ3. However, the AI can't handle 1upt at all in my experience. It is simply because of the insane advantages it gets, that it can compete with you.

11. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

1 UPT AI seems a challenge for programmers, particularly managing the interplay between melee, ranged and siege units in tight terrain and most especially in the offensive. The game Panzer General was likely an inspiration for 1 UPT in Civ V but in PG the AI has the advantage of almost always playing defense and thus the AI is probably simpler to program. Civ V's AI has even more on its plate so I accordingly tend to be more forgiving of its peccadilloes...some would say too forgiving, but that's me. I figure in 2000+ hours of Civ V game play, I more than have gotten my money's worth from this Firaxis game, and far far more than from other recent purchases from other developers that turned out to be total turkeys.

12. CraigMak

CraigMak The Borg

It looks like a better game than Civ V in every regard and the AI is at the very least equal. In my eyes all the extra mechanics and content is well worth the $50 or whatever it was.

How exactly did the best turn based game in existence burn you? Sure Multiplayer is extremely buggy but it's still a great game when it's actually working.

13. Drakarska

Drakarska Epic Dadness

I believe the answer to your question lies in the above bolded section :mischief:.

14. ThERat

ThERat Deity

I have been an avid fan of civilization since the first iteration. My favourite is still C3C with its Mods. However, I also like Civ4 using Mods like Realism Invictus.

From Civ1/2/3/4 you could see a gradual increase in complexity and sophistication. Then came Shafer's 'grand' idea of 1upt since he loved Panzer General so much. Everything had to follow that dreaded idea including massive dumbing down of the game. It suits the masses I assume.

I personally love to play AW games or succession games. Try AW with the ultra dumb AI when it comes to warfare...it just turned me off. Look at the succession game section, it is almost dead.

I am patient enough now to wait for the game to be offered for $15 or so. No need to buy an overpriced Mod with presumably many bugs at release.

15. gunnergoz

gunnergoz Cat Herder

Live long and prosper.

16. Ryoga

Ryoga King

In truth all the tactics RPG that I know of are 1 UPT, all of them.
    And okay, it never occurred to me that the AI in those has ever been particularly brilliant, but at least they've always been capable of calculating distances so to never get in such a position that they'd be reached and hit on the next turn. At the same time they've always been capable to calculate when they could finally move to the fullest and attack the enemy from the farthest point possible. In other words they could always calculate better than a human player how to ensure that they'd get the first hit.

And this is true since at least the 16bit era. It's a pretty straightforward equation, nothing particularly complicated.

The thing that Civ V players are disliking the most about the AI, I believe, is the fact that it just moves its units exactly in the range for you to attack it, without doing anything else, as if inviting you to kill it, before they could even get a chance to do anything useful. Bonus point if they do so while embarking.

But sometimes I have the feeling that the AI makes bad decisions not so much because of bad programming but because of a bad concept of strategy.

The AI in Civ V seems to like those encircling maneuvers, especially naval units. That doesn't seem like something easy to program, and yet it isn't something that I'd ever want to do.
    I guess the whole point is that by doing so the attacked unit won't be able to escape. True, but then they are just pointlessly exposing themselves to the enemy fire, whereas I simply attack from afar with concentrated fire and kill the unit directly before the turn ends.

17. TLHeart

TLHeart King

the AI tries to do the same thing when attacking a city, encircle first, then attack, while loosing all the melee units, then if the range units survive, there is no melee unit to take the city.

18. Miravlix

Miravlix King

Maddjinn did the same, so that means MD is just as bad as the AI or the AI is just as good as MD.

19. a space oddity

a space oddity Deity GOTM Staff

Hi there, long time no see! :cool:

Having seen a few of the LPs, I have the feeling I am going to like Civ:BE. I might be starting a succession game or two if it lives up to my expectations. Good to see that you show some interest at least , who knows? I would love to persuade you to come play. :D