Civ becomes a vassal of another civ to escape war...

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by osmuni, Mar 11, 2021.

1. osmuni

osmuni Chieftain

I was at war with Carthage, conquered their first city, was going to conquer second city on my way to the capital to vassalize them, and Dido decides to become a vassal to Polynesia, that I had just signed a peace treaty with two turns ago.

The war just vanishes, suddenly I am at peace with Carthage, and I can't continue my war because of the peace treaty. I am just left standing there with nothing to show for all my war effort.

IMHO civs should not be able to vassalize themselves to another civ while at war, or if that was the case, you automatically are at war with their master regardless of previous peace treaties.

The AI really knows how to exploit this loophole.

Moderator Action: Please do not attempt to bypass the autocensor. Profanity is not permitted on the forums. - Recursive
    Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2021
    CppMaster likes this.
  2. youngsteve

youngsteve Prince

I agree that it would make sense to be more like Paradox games such as EU4 where if someone gets vassilised their new master takes over any wars ongoing against them. In fairness if playing on standard speed, waiting a few turns to declare on Polynesia is hardly the end of the world.

saamohod likes this.
  3. Uprising

Uprising Chieftain

in my game Danmark just become a vassal to Iroquois without a reason, they been friends and never had a war , i think we should thanks to people who working on new betas, with every new beta game is getting worse and worse

Moderator Action: Feedback is welcome for modders, but you must always give it with respect for the work done, for free.
    - Gedemon

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2021
  4. Recursive

Recursive Covets Lands That You Currently Own Moderator

I will change voluntary vassalage to function this way soon, but it will require work so it'll be some time.

I've already reduced the willingness for voluntary vassalage.

5. youngsteve

youngsteve Prince

You are very quick on picking up on issues. Full credit for the work the team is doing as the mod gets better & better.

6. Emperorman1

Emperorman1 Chieftain

Are you aware these people are working for free, and that this mod might be the best civ game ever.

So yeah, thanks to younwho work with the betas

Chaste, FyreFly_, usadefcon1 and 5 others like this.
  7. Noob Fanboy

Noob Fanboy Warlord

Feel free to work on the new beta.

8. PhilMyBelly

PhilMyBelly Chieftain

could you release a quick hotfix for that?
    Thanks

9. PhilMyBelly

PhilMyBelly Chieftain

Thats not very nice considering youve been using content produced by others for free for a while now... you can always download an older version of vp -_-

10. dostillevi

dostillevi Warlord

It gets said, but maybe not often enough, that the vast majority of users of this mod, both those who post and those who lurk, are incredibly thankful and appreciative of the amazing work the modding team here has done.

If anyone doesn't like the current state of the mod, they are free to continue using any of the previous versions of the mod or to go find another mod (or no mod) and play that instead. Negative comments about someone's hobby work that they have graciously allowed others to use are a reflection on the commenter, not on the developers.

11. Recursive

G is releasing a new version soon, I believe.

12. Recursive

A temporary fix where the AI won't accept voluntary vassalage while at war has been added in the interim for next version.

Carloshooter, Chaste and tothePAIN like this.
  13. youngsteve

youngsteve Prince

I do have concerns about this, as I feel a civ gaining voluntary vassalage when under attack is a valid decision to protect themselves. I think what should change is that the civ that they have vassalage to should take over any war where they are being attacked.

14. Recursive

Yes. I'm unable to do modding right now though so this will have to do for now. :)

15. andersw

andersw Emperor

If you disable defensive pacts this will be far less of an issue.
    You do it in Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\Assets\DLC\Expansion2\Gameplay\XML\Technologies\civ5Technologies.xml
    at chivalry tech set defensive pact to false

edit: the change is save game compatible

16. gabrielsfarias

gabrielsfarias Chieftain

Whoever had this idea (voluntary vassalage and vassals not having congress votes) THANK YOU. Thank you so much. I can play in peace now. This is brilliant, I love you.

17. Recursive

I don't see why that would be. The code for Defensive Pacts and vassalage is completely unrelated.

Carloshooter likes this.
  18. andersw

andersw Emperor

Yes but does defensive pacts add too much military or diplo points that creates valid Vassal options too early?
    Because it really works disabling defensive pacts.

19. Recursive

No...? If it has an effect, it's probably a bug.

Carloshooter likes this.
  20. Laz0r

Laz0r Chieftain

Modders aren't free from criticism by the nature of them doing it for free. It is entirely possible for bad changes to be made for the mod and for that very reason criticism is a good thing, as it provides devs understanding about if their changes are good or bad