Civ Board Game

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by GEChallenger, Dec 12, 2004.

1. GEChallenger

GEChallenger lurking

I know this should technically go in the "Other Games" forum, but there's little to no traffic there, and I'd like an answer in the next year or so. ;)

There was a Civ board game released last year (or the year before, can't remember) but I never saw it in stores. Does anyone have it? Is it any good? Where did you buy it from?

Thanks in advance...

2. punkbass2000

punkbass2000 Des An artiste

I have it. It's not great, but it's reasonably fun. I modded it a fair bit. Bought it online.

3. warpstorm

warpstorm Yumbo? Yumbo!

The default rules are kinda broken. The few times we played it before giving up on it, it seemed that the early leader just kept pulling further and further away from the pack. Since you need to pay the owner of a tech each time you use it, you give the early tech leader a major cash influx to buy more techs which you then buy from him giving him more...

On the upside, it has some of the nicest 'bits' I've ever seen in a board games. With some rules changes it could probably be a good game.

4. JoeBas

JoeBas Warlord

I have it, haven't tried it yet though... just seems like a lot of pieces to have to reset when something goes wrong and I want to reload... :lol: ;)

5. Volstag

Volstag Chairman of the Bored

As a self professed board game freak, let me tell you that Eagle Games Civilization isn't all that great. It's fiddly beyond belief, and it requires a huge table to play it on. The major problem is that luck plays a huge part in the outcome. If you get a good starting location and some good early rolls, you can leap out to a commanding lead. Likewise, if you draw poor tiles and/or receive bad rolls, you're going to get your ass kicked against aggressive players. It's not a bad game, per se, but it's not exactly good either. I know some players who enjoy it, but they invariably play with house rules.

There are many, many great "empire building" board games out there -- with cleaner rules, greater strategic/tactical depth, and shorter playing times. For those that are curious, check out the link in my .sig. Boardgames have been enjoying a wonderful renaissance, of sorts, in the past 8 years -- with many great titles coming out of Europe.

-V

6. bingen

bingen Prince

I recommend the original Civilization boardgame(with its expansion Advanced Civilization) by Avalon Hill. It probably inspired Sid quite a bit.

7. bgart5

bgart5 Chieftain

I always liked that other Civilization game called Risk. All war, all the time. :goodjob:

Incidently, I've never heard of the Civilization board game, and it looks like I won't kill myself searching for it.