• Barbarians

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Abstain

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tubby Rower

Chronic Slacker
Please pick up to 5 civs as your choices. We'll take the top 5. Please also post your choices in order that you think that they should be.

The way that it'll be decided is by the poll first then if there is a tie, I'll look at the posts to break the tie .

I've tried to get them all, but let me know if I miss any so that I can get Rik or Chieftess to add another option.

FYI...

Here is a nice site that will help you pick a civ based off of a preferred trait or starting tech

Here is my list of preferred civs/leaders (comment please)
  1. Cathy of the Russians (Creative & Fin.)
  2. Kublai of the Khans (Creative & Aggressive)
  3. Elizabeth of the English (Philo & Fin.)
  4. Qin Shi of the Chinese (Ind. & Fin.)
  5. Mansa Musa of the Malinese (Spiritual & Fin.)

Okay, these are in no particular order, but we will have to comment.

1. Indian (fast worker) - Gandhi (Spiritual/Industrious)
The fast worker can be pretty powerful. Connecting and improving with half the resources/double the speed would be nice.

While Spiritual is a worthless trait IMHO, Mysticism is nice becuase it gets us a leg up on founding a religon or two. The potential intelligence and financial benefits of that have been beneficial in my games.

2. German (Panzer) - Frederick (Creative/Philosophical)
I don't care about the Panzer, but Hunting as a starting tech is nice.

Plus having double the great people points is good, and the extra culture could help - especially ealry on.

3. American (SEAL) - Roosevelt (Organized/Industrious)
I'm not a big fan of the starting techs, but half the upkeep and double the wonder work would be nice.

4. Spanish (Conquistador) - Isabella (Spiritual/Expansive)
The starting tech of Mysticism is nice due to what I mentioned above.

Spirtual and Expansive are okay.

The reason I mention Spain is their UU. The conquistador ROCKS! I know its expensive, and it is dependant on our access to horses (I don't know Sirian and what he would do with that). But if the variables break our way, kicking butt in mid-game goes real well with Conquistadors.

5. France (Muskateer) - Louis (Industrious/Creative)
The starting techs are okay.

The UU is pretty strong with its high movement rate.

The traits are solid, double wonder-production and early culture. Overall a strong choice I think.

Now, all of this is subject to the understanding that my computer is being upgraded so I haven't been able to play Civ 4 like I would want (actually the need to sleep and work would prevent me from playing Civ 4 like I would want...)

So poke holes in my assesment of the above Civs. And remember, they are in no particular order.

3 people have voted and no concensus yet :lol:

OK here are my thoughts.
I like specific traits that seem to come in play all game long. I don't think a UU has ever been a turning point and beginning techs are reasonably all the same since workers are not built too early.
Here are my favorite traits
Expansive--health benefits cheap grans and harbors. Things I always find are built.
Financial--cottages! The commerce bonus is huge.
Organized--upkeep costs could be huge in this game along with lighthouses and courts things I build a lot of as well.
Creative--cheap culture boost to cover more terrain along with the theaters/colloseums.
Based on that here are my choices...
Washington Financial and organized. Power traits.
Cathy Creative and financial
Qin Shi industrious and financial
Victoria expansive and financial
Bismarck Expansive and industrious

I would be nice to be the barbs :)

I voted for Saladin, Lizzy, Freddy, Ghandi and Mansa.

Ok, I posted from Germany now, and I probably won't have a chance to post again until next tuesday. Have fun!

My choices...

1) Roosevelt -- i like cheap wonders and i like cheap courthouses
2) Egypt -- UU and Creative assures dominance in early game should we be start near any opponents. Spiritual will be good for civic flexibility, and I think gets a bad rap (but then again, who wants to add MM to the game?).
3) Alex -- aggressive and philo just seem a combo of traits that go at odds for some reason
4) Peter of the Ruskies -- i dunno really, i just picked him
5) Napoleon -- could be interesting to run a quick Musketeer push, especially with the Aggressive trait

Enough of you people will vote for financial civs; they don't need my help. The trait bores me, to tell the truth, and not becuase it's good, but because it's so mainstream. Talk about a yawner :sleep:

Great to see you here Pind! I'm glad you'll be joining us.

I saw the first name you put up for Team Gamma and couldn't help but join. Don't know how much time I'll have to contribute, but I promise to butt in once in a while to stir up some trouble! :lol:

pindicator said:
My choices...
3) Alex -- aggressive and philo just seem a combo of traits that go at odds for some reason
aggressive is really a great trait. combat1 + 2 city raider promotions makes for nasty axeman/maceman. I really love upgrading these guys to rifleman and then infantry later on if they last. They can make quite a mess :)

Oh, I don't doubt agressive at all. Cheap barracks and free combat I are fabulous for any warmongering. I'm just trying to think of combinations with Philo for it... cheap universities?

Although, I suppose you could run either threatres or caste system and use philo to make a ton of Gr. Artists for a truely warmonger's paradise. Likewise, mercs finance your new acquisitions, sci to keep up, but those are things you'd do normally with philo anyway. I guess I just have this block in my head that the philo trait is a builder's trait, but I'm sure it would help out anyone really.

After reading BradleyFeanor's comments on traits I think the aggressive trait makes more and more sense in this type of game.

Then again....he's on our team now :mischief: so maybe he will chime in! :lol:

BTW I'd recommend lurking "Gator's Learning to walk game" that has Bradley and Bede in it.

Learning to walk SG

Hi Guys :wavey:!

I have only just begun my reading of the threads in an attempt to figure out how this Demogame will work: the info is quite spread out, I must say. ;)

I am going to have quite a few questions. With that in mind, a good first one is probably: where should I post questions I have for the team?

I do have a few thoughts on the civ choice, but please keep in mind that I have almost NO experience in Multiplayer. I am also working on the assumption that any team can declare war on another at any time they choose (ie, there are no "restrictions" on how we play, with the exception of exploits).

I would rank the traits in a multiplayer game as follows (and please forgive me if this stuff is obvious. Like I said, my MP knowledge is sparse):

1) Financial
For the extra commerce, of course. It's quite an advantage, and lasts from turn 1 to the end of the game.

2) Philosophical
Great People can be used to make Oracle-like tech jumps to superior military and economic techs. And even better than the Oracle, they can't be snatched away from us by another team. I could even see a possible strategy where GPs were hidden away and stockpiled, then used in succession to make a quick leap to Chemistry/Grenadiers when the other teams least expect it.

3) Aggressive
I expect we will be fighting a lot, so this one's a beauty for obvious reasons. The cheap barracks are a great advantage in the early game, and the extra promotion is of value all game long. I do devalue this tech just a bit in multiplayer vs. single player, because tactics become so important in the former. We will definitely need mounted units for both defense and offense, and aggressive won't really improve those.

I don't think it would be wise for me to say much about the other traits, because their value would depend a lot on how much military action we can expect to see in this game. In general, I don't think they are as valuable as those I listed above. I haven't lurked or played many MP games, so I don't know whether to expect opposing teams to constantly be beating on each other, or for pretty solid alliances to form and most of the military action to come late in the game. It the fighting starts early and lasts for most of the game, then I would value the organized trait for the cheap courthouses. But if the military action can be expect to come later in the game, I would value Creative more in order to control borders.

Its hard to say much about starting techs because which ones are good can depend so much on starting terrain. I usually prefer Mining and Agriculture, but it seems that Mysticism could be used to great advantage in an MP game. The ability to "spy" on other players cities via religion would be very nice.

With all that being said, this would be my list of top leaders (and some of them may seem at odds with the above):

Huayna
He gets the awsome financial/aggressive combo, and he also starts with mysticism for spreading an early religion/spying. I should also mention that, barring terrible starting terrain or a lucky hut, it is impossible for any civ to beat Huayna to Meditation/Buddhism. That is a nice surety to have.

Elizabeth
Philosophical would allow us to use the sneaky leader gambits I mentioned earlier. She's financial too of course.

Qin Shi Huang
I don't think Industrious will be worth too much unless we are lucky and also have stone or marble, but at least he is financial. I also think the Cho-Ko-Nu, which is already powerful in a single player game, would be even better in an MP game. I would expect most players in an MP game to have fewer "Archery killing" units than they have in a SP game, because that would seem the better strategy against other humans. That might mean our Cho-Ko-Nus would be going up against units that had poor promotions to defend against them.

Alexander
His UU pretty much ensures no one will come calling on us early in the game with mounted units and Phil would allow us to use leader gambits.

Caesar
I couldn't believe that no one listed him! The Praetorian is the most overpowered UU in the whole game, and his traits support an early military campaign. Did no one list him because he is so powerful? (ie, is choosing Caesar like painting a big bullseye on our heads?)

Questions should probably go in the general musings thread.

Your analysis is amazing. I wish I hadn't voted yet because I would change my vote. :lol:

hmm.. it seems as though the poll has closed.... I'll go through everyone's posts/votes and compile a list.

Here is what I've tallied after taking into account all of the leader votes. I gave everyone's #1 choice a 5 and #5 choice a 1. After adding the totals, here it is.
Code:
1. Elizabeth		14
2. Qin Shi		12
3. Greece		10
4. Cathy		9
5. Roosevelt		8
5. Ghandi		8
6. Washington		7
6. Freddy		7

So we have our list. the only thing is the 5th spot is tied for. With Roosevelt and Washington basically splitting the votes for America, I say that we go with Roosevelt over Ghandi since it is unlikely that we will have to take our 5th choice.

and btw, BF, no one chose the Romans because a 4 on 1 would be very hard to defend against.

Shoot, I missed my chance to vote!

Liz is great, although I expect we will wind up with Qin or Alex, as Liz is likely to be at the top of everyone's list.

I included your votes BF

Top Bottom