1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Civ Colours "Jersey System"

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by tranger66, Nov 22, 2018.

1. tranger66

tranger66 Chieftain

The new jersey system that was mentioned in the stream where each civ has 4 colour combinations leads to some interesting questions.

Do you select the colour for your civ only and the rest are selected by the computer to avoid similar colours?

Can you change your or other civs colours after a game has started if you don't like the combos chosen?

What are some interesting colour combos that could be used for current civs 'road' colours?

nzcamel likes this.
  2. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

Doesn't look like you can choose your own colors unfortunately. I would probably choose black and red if I could. Or Black and Gold (our hockey team colors). Without knowing the other color sets available, I'm not sure which one I prefer.

CivLuvah and tedhebert like this.
  3. tranger66

tranger66 Chieftain

Are you a Golden Knights fan? Treat Fleury well!

4. Xmonger

Xmonger Chieftain

I got the impression that the colors were not selectable, and that the jersey system was invented to help disambiguate between Civs with similiar colors in a game. So if two red Civs are in a game, they each get a different jersey, different red specifically, so to make clear who is who.

nzcamel likes this.
  5. tranger66

tranger66 Chieftain

Ah maybe I misunderstood. I was thinking they would have their regular colours, an inverse and then 2 completely different combos for games when there are England, Poland and Japan for example.

This way Civs would have their standard colours but could have options for royal colours, flag colours, etc.

Builderphile likes this.
  6. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

Hopefully when starting a new game you can select the jerseys (like red and gold for Rome).

7. redfox85

redfox85 Chieftain

.. they also mentioned it was designed for people who are colour blind in the livestream ... so there might some kind of choice option.

nzcamel likes this.
  8. bite

bite Unoffical Civilization Geographer Moderator

Look I am just glad that this means that Australia is no longer that awful Black/Fluro Green combo and I am glad for it.

Buthera, Cooleatack, nzcamel and 10 others like this.
  9. Xefjord

Xefjord Chieftain

How will this work when you play with every civ at once though? It sounds like it selects colors based on the "limited" set of civs in the game, and may struggle if you play with all civs on a TSL map like I do. But I may just be misunderstanding the system.

CivLuvah and Hawke9 like this.
  10. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

I would hope that you select your civ's color and then similar colored civs would be forced to choose a different "jersey"--so if I want to play as France with their default pale-blue-on-pale-yellow, it's Mapuche and Pericles who have to go with an alternate "jersey." But I guess we won't know until either they tell us, YouTubers show us, or we have the game in our own hands.

TBF when you have that many civs, there are only so many potential color combinations, especially if you want to choose colors that are in some way thematic for the civ in question. At that point the best you can hope for is that similarly-colored civs won't spawn near each other.

nzcamel likes this.
  11. tranger66

tranger66 Chieftain

Once you get over a certain number of civs some overlap is inevitable but hopefully for the standard game sizes this can keep conflicts to a minimum.

Zaarin likes this.
  12. clapyourhands

clapyourhands Chieftain

I feel like the most likely scenario for the jersey system is that each civ will have 2 sets of colors, the traditional/historically accurate set and a colorblind set. Four combinations coming from each of them being flipped. Eg: red on white + white on red for traditional, and then something like green on purple + purple on green for colorblind--with the game choosing the traditional one ideally, the flipped traditional if there's already another civ with those colors, and the colorblind ones as a last resort. And if you have colorblind mode enabled then it'll just start from the colorblind set. I'd assume even though different civs would have different shades of each color they'd be tagged with the main one, so that all reddish civs are tagged "red", all brownish ones "brown", etc, to avoid two similar ones.

13. Sostratus

Sostratus Chieftain

The colors in the stream looked very much like colorblind mode. The reds and greens for the civs were just strange hues. Why would you change england's base red when the player is england? Surely The player has first crack at their own colors in SP?
    China and Zulu had different shades of green than normal too, even though right now they are not that similar. What I'm saying is some civ should be keeping its standard colors in every game under a jersey system, but it looked like they changed every civ's colors, which to me suggests colorblind mode.

nzcamel likes this.
  14. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Warlord Supporter

I understood them to be showing England's new default colours: the red and white from the Cross of St. George, replacing the former burgundy (which has likely been retained as an alternate jersey).

15. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Warlord

I thought it was the opposite. It would make more since that if they wanted to talk about it, they would show an alternate color scheme. My first thought is that looks really close to Poland's default colors.

nzcamel likes this.
  16. Stilgar08

Stilgar08 Chieftain

It enabled them to offer colourblind support as an Option. It wasn't designed with that in mind.
    The home-players get their regular jerseys first (I'd assume MP in line one after the other), if similar jerseys are in the game ref. decides the team has to change jerseys so it fits.
    Good change! :thumbsup:

nzcamel, kryat and WillowBrook like this.
  17. Mr Jon of Cheam

Mr Jon of Cheam Chieftain

I'm which Canuck. They chose to play as England in order to show off the changes they've made to them, a new colour scheme could easily be part of that. The new colours shown in the livestream definitely should be England's default.

18. ferenginar

ferenginar Grand Nagus

The concept seems fine to me, but on the video England looked orange not red, and there was barely any difference between them and the Barbs.

19. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Warlord Supporter

Maybe monitor settings? It looked St. George's Cross red to me. But maybe that's because I knew what it was intended to be, and saw it that way.

Zaarin likes this.
  20. Laurana Kanan

Laurana Kanan Queen's

I'm a bit torn on this new system. I can certainly understand and agree with the reasoning behind it, but coming from a modding perspective I wonder how easy it will be to keep the modified colors I've chosen without the game switching them up inadvertently.