[GS] Civ Colours "Jersey System"

This may be the new system I am actually excited about the least. I liked going into the files and messing around with the color schemes, and I liked what I got.
At least hopefully I'll either get to select the color I want, or change the color schemes to what I want.
Here's to hoping that the Netherlands will at least have a brighter orange.

As a color blind person, this is awesome for me. I have to mouse over certain colors to see what civ it is.

Same here. Certain civs spawning close together I can't tell their units apart :confused:
Good change from my pov.

The colors in the stream looked very much like colorblind mode. The reds and greens for the civs were just strange hues. Why would you change england's base red when the player is england? Surely The player has first crack at their own colors in SP?
China and Zulu had different shades of green than normal too, even though right now they are not that similar. What I'm saying is some civ should be keeping its standard colors in every game under a jersey system, but it looked like they changed every civ's colors, which to me suggests colorblind mode.
Considering that most colorblind people can't see red or green, I'm reasonably certain that a game where literally every civ was either red or green was not showing off colorblind mode. :mischief:

I'm a bit torn on this new system. I can certainly understand and agree with the reasoning behind it, but coming from a modding perspective I wonder how easy it will be to keep the modified colors I've chosen without the game switching them up inadvertently.

Probably it will require to re-mod, but hopefully, you will be able to define the four jerseys (without limit on them being the same if you really like a colour set)

i am glad that the devs are thinking about accessibility and are adding things like Colourblind support to the game

I wonder if there were some issues with the colours. At times during the livestream, England's colours looked almost Orange and white, at others, red and white.

I just thought they were selecting four colors per civ (for England perhaps Red, White, Green (Wales), and Blue (Scotland and the Union Jack); for Rome Purple, Yellow, Red (often associated with Rome, especially combined with yellow/gold), and something else). Then the colors would have a hierarchy. 1st-2nd, if not then 1st-3rd, if not then 1st-4th, if not then 2nd-1st, etc.

I just thought they were selecting four colors per civ (for England perhaps Red, White, Green (Wales), and Blue (Scotland and the Union Jack); for Rome Purple, Yellow, Red (often associated with Rome, especially combined with yellow/gold), and something else). Then the colors would have a hierarchy. 1st-2nd, if not then 1st-3rd, if not then 1st-4th, if not then 2nd-1st, etc.

Calling it a "jersey system" makes it seem more likely to me that there are four colour combinations for each civ. So, for example, England's may now be: (1) red-white, (2) burgundy-white, (3) red-pale blue, (4) white-red.

I could be wrong. It could be four colours, as you suggest. If so, though, there would have to be some other rules I place as some colour combinations wouldn't work.

I was under the impression that the jersey system was meant to reduce color ambiguity, but that it was separate from color blind support. The best way to reduce color blind confusion is to add textures, not necessarily shifting colors. For color deficiencies, shifting certain colors helps, but it could be difficult to know how altered colors would appear to someone without perfect color fidelity.

I’m red-green color deficient, but the only civs I've ever had trouble distinguishing was Civ V Poland from barbarians, and Sparta from England in VI.

For my two cents, the New England color was true St George red (but it did look slightly orangey due to being used to the burgundy color I’m used to. Poland in VI has a slight pink-ish hue to it.

Poland is definitely a bit pinkish from the last game I played with them.

I hope there is some form of choice as to which colours are in the game, whether just your civ or all civs. That way you can make sure your civ gets their home colours and other civs have to wear their road jerseys.

It would also be nice to see different colours in the game. While it is my favourite colour there is going to be a lot of red civs after this expansion.

While it is my favourite colour there is going to be a lot of red civs after this expansion.
As usual, my favorite color, purple, gets the short end of the stick: no one but Rome and India as of right now. :(

Maybe I can figure out how to mod in some actual flags now... I guess 4 colors are enough. I assume we get new icon templates that isn't just a white/alpha. I'm prepared for disappointment though.

As usual, my favorite color, purple, gets the short end of the stick: no one but Rome and India as of right now. :(
The Iroquois would be perfect for purple as well.
It would be interesting to see more pink civs.

Pink is a very underrepresented colour in Civ.
I could see England getting pink as an alternate color. Many maps of the British Empire show their territory in the color pink. And we all know that England is technically Britain in this game, minus the sea dog.

I feel like I ought to confess that even though I'm red-green colorblind myself, I've never really had a problem telling Civilizations apart from each other; to be honest, whenever I came close to having trouble, I usually just went by borders and city names. On the contrary I actually sort of looked forward to seeing the unique colors for each civilization and I'm sort of worried that that's going to be absent now that half of the Civilizations are probably going to be red, green, or blue when you're playing as them. Usually my bigger problems came from distinguishing some civilizations from Barbarians/City States, and from actually reading borderline-illegible text, neither of which this necessarily does much to resolve aside from maybe one or two odd Civilizations here and there that happen to fall into those colors.

Still, progress is progress. I think the long-term goal should just be a color selection feature though, with the current "jerseys" as defaults/presets.

Top Bottom